PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

'86 S10 Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '86 S10 Build

Hey all, I'm new to this site. Thought I'd pop in to learn a thing or two before I go getting in over my head as this will be my first attempt at building something with a Gen III SBC.

The truck is an '86 S10 Short Cab, Short Bed 2wd. So far I don't have any current pictures, as theres not much to see. It's in piles all over my garage with the chassis all set up for anything I can throw at it. I started by seam-welding and boxing the frame with 1/8" plate, using 2x4 1/8" wall tubing to make crossmembers, with 1" round tube for bracing in between for zero flex, poly bushings, 3" dropped suspension, and a ford 8.8 rear end. I'm aiming to make a hot rod corner-carver that I can drive daily in the nice weather.

So lets get down to it: Ls1's are expensive, so I picked up a wrecked '99 silverado 4x4 with a 5.3L with 862 heads on it. Not sure if these heads are "good" since I haven't found much online telling me if they are "good" or "bad". I've been looking at different combo's with these engines and have gotten myself a little confused. I'm looking to make decent power without completely breaking the bank, and since it's a 2600lb truck, I don't need TOO much

I'm thinking of using an LS6 Intake, injectors, fuel rails, and TB. Not sure of what Cam to go with, and I know I'll a good tune (heard good things about black bear performance). I don't have much choice in headers, so the swap headers I found here should have to do it: Hedman Hedders 45240 - Hedman Specialty and Engine Swap Hedders - Overview - SummitRacing.com
I haven't yet gotten the T56 for this project, but its only a matter of time.

SO, the question is- Am I way off with wanting to use a stock LS6 intake setup? Will this work? And if so, what cam should I be looking at to use this setup without making it un-drive-able? Is there something else Im missing for this? I'm trying to keep the motor as close to stock as possible but I would definitely like to creep up near the 400hp mark. I will be running a 3" exhaust all the way, and I'd like to lose the the cats- so the other big question is where do I find this mythical dummy O2 sensor I keep hearing of and is this going to hurt the engine or gas mileage?

Sorry for writing you guys a book here, but I guess I could call this my "introduction" to the site. Thanks in advance for any and all help!
Old 01-06-2012, 09:55 PM
Teching In

the ls6 intake manifold wont work with truck accessories. f body accessories the alternator willhit the frame hardcore. sounds like u have good metal fab skill so probly no problem for u.

as far as getting rid of the cats, the rear o2 sensors are nothing more than cat monitors. they do not effect the way the engine runs. now in order to get the truck to even start u will have to have the security system (vats) turned off in the pcm. while whoever is in there doing that they should be able to turn off the rear o2s and egr and whatever else you want deleted.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:22 PM

bmxer_255, thanks for the heads up on the accessories. I will have to look into it and see if I can fab up an alternator bracket, or if there is more info on this "swap". I already knew about the "vats" system, and that the rear O2's are nothing but the good ol' FED making sure we aren't killing the whales with our V8 engines

However, I did not know anything about having the rear O2's "turned off", thanks for that tidbit, now how about the EGR? I'm still (relatively) unfamiliar with anything newer than about '95 (depending on the vehicle) I'm looking to get decent mileage with this truck, and I know most pollution controls are a waste of what they're made of, however losing the EGR won't change anything other than making a few extra ponies right? Please don't make fun, me and technology don't get along very well

Any suggestions on a good streetable cam for this?
Old 01-12-2012, 12:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

A good cam would be either a z06 cam, or even a tt220. Springs and pushrods to match them. If you want a close to stock sound the z06 will be nice. If you want a little more chop in the idle then the tr220 would sound good, but there's a lot of choices. Search the site and look up cam swaps. Hope it helps some. Good luck with the build
Old 01-12-2012, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

Nice project,good luck
Old 01-15-2012, 10:14 AM

hey thanks guys, got the 5.3L home and extra-cated from the wreck it was in, went crazy labeling every last wire in this thing and "mapping" it all out. Now to locate a T56.... will post some pics soon.

Anyone need a 4L60 4wd trans? Or parts from a '99 silverado? I have good glass, door panels, dash stuff, DS door, and DS fender, and all 4x4 front end parts are good...