PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

86 Square Body on SS AWD

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has potential to be my favorite truck on this site!!! I love the squares!!!
Old 11-18-2014, 04:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Guys,

I wasn't sure others would share my enthusiasm. I had an 87 R10 when I was 18 and struggled to make ends meet. Over 350K miles It never let me down. Just started to need so many nickel and dime things that I parked it 12 years ago. Time sitting here in FL hasn't been nice to the body. I was going to restore it when I found rust that I didn't want to battle. Soooo...

This is my tribute to the truck that took me so far. I knew I wanted the torsion bar style front end. The 2WD coil spring front ends just "float" at speed. I'm sure the right set of coil overs would really help but, It gave me the incentive to go forward with the AWD.

After having varying styles of AWD vehicles, once you have it. You always want it. Hence the GSX in the screen name. (Eclipses) but the difference between the way an SS performs compaired to the Yukon Denali are night and day. Even if you turned off the Stabilty control and tried to "play" with the Denali, it just turned it back on and straightened it out. The SS is just performance. (Removed Torque management)

I was fortunate enough to find a complete drivetrain from a rolled SS with 42K miles. It isn't the first frame that I've modified. I've never had a problem. Lots of measuring (I use metric. So much easier and precise) I use a Spectra Precision laser to level everything exactly. It doesn't hurt to have a lot of fabrication equipment.

I will keep updating as I progress. I am working on the body mounts as of now. The SS frame is 10" wider than the C10's The main issue is the C10 body mounts are almost directly inline with the frame rails. So I have to "pocket" the frame for the isolation mounts and be able to get the mount bolts installed. Reality is, I thought this would be so much worse than it has been. I just hope that comment doesn't come back to bite me in the ***. ��
Old 11-18-2014, 06:25 PM
Teching In

In for progress pix. Looks like this is going to be a cool and unique build!
Old 11-18-2014, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

two thumbs up for two things i like quite a bit, square bodys and awd.. an earlier yr c10 would of even been better, but would of been more expensive and more pressure to make it turn out nice. this still has plenty of potential to be badass..
Old 11-19-2014, 02:51 PM

how much did the rolled over SS cost you? Why the SS Silverado over say a the SS SUV, wouldn't the frame of been less of a hassle? I have a IH pickup I have to find somethings to do...this gives me a good idea although I wanted to keep it a dually.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by skolman91
two thumbs up for two things i like quite a bit, square bodys and awd.. an earlier yr c10 would of even been better, but would of been more expensive and more pressure to make it turn out nice. this still has plenty of potential to be badass..

This may be in my future. I swear sometimes it's the build that keeps me going.

Originally Posted by 06RegSilverado
how much did the rolled over SS cost you? Why the SS Silverado over say a the SS SUV, wouldn't the frame of been less of a hassle? I have a IH pickup I have to find somethings to do...this gives me a good idea although I wanted to keep it a dually.

I ended up finding it on Craigslist. The guy had it listed all wrong (misspelled etc.) Obviously didn't get much traffic because he called me back a month after a pretty lowball offer. I bought it complete for what a low mile LQ9 is worth. Everything else was a bonus. Not being sure I could get the body to fit, I had to make sure I recover what I was investing.

The SS comes stock with 4.10's. Staying N/A I wanted the lower gear. If you're going turbo, the SUV 3.73's are better. The SS comes with the NP149. As far as I am concerned, the best AWD transfercase. (Early Eskys did too.) The SUV's use the brakes for stability control. Not good for performance. SS has a G80 which is good for now. The SUV coil spring rear is something I didn't want. My Yukon kind of bobbled around. I got used to it but I feel much better with a rock steady ride at all speeds. In the end, I think the wheelbase was still off by a couple inches. Either way, the frame was still going to have to be modified in order for it to fit right. I think the hardest part of a build like this is figuring out the "recipe" Everything has to be thought about before you just jump into it. At least if you can see how someone else did it, you could modify thier plan to fit your needs better.

Thanks all, Seeing others interested in this keeps my drive level high.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:08 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

single chamber flows just to make sure it has that old school sound. nobody will see this truck coming!
Old 11-21-2014, 10:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In for updates on a awesome project!!
Old 11-23-2014, 08:18 PM
Staging Lane

Update Time.

Another full weekend spent. Thankfully, I had the help of my son that is is every bit as capable as I am and has more drive. It's great to be able to throw your ideas out and have someone else's view on things. Helps with the second guessing yourself.

Anyway, this weekend we mainly tckled the cab mounts and height over the frame. We had get the bed leveled so we knew where the cab had to end up. We wanted the core support cab mounts the end up centered on the front frame rails. Had to remove the front crosspipe that went all the way trough the frame rail. Here is a shot after the cross pipe was cut inside and out and the piece driven out of the frame then welded back. Ended up rosette welding a flanged nut inside the core support for these mounts
Attached Thumbnails 86 Square Body on SS AWD-image.jpg  
Old 11-23-2014, 08:21 PM
Staging Lane

Here is the lower side of the mount inside the frame rail.
Attached Thumbnails 86 Square Body on SS AWD-image.jpg  

Quick Reply: 86 Square Body on SS AWD