PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

86 Square Body on SS AWD

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 05:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 563 Likes on 485 Posts

Both idea's for video's sound good to me.

Add some commentary though, lol. Always annoys me when all I hear is the person breathing into the camera. Tech info stuff is always cool, like how you did this or that yadda yadda.

I'm a big fan or a metallic grey/silver, always looks good and hard to notice the dirt. Leaving the door jams and interior black would be fine with me personally, just something to break up the body color when you open the door.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome job man. I am planning on using a 2000+ Tahoe/Yukon to put my 68 c10 body on and am glad to see someone do something similar and be happy with the result.

Is it lowered any, or is that stock height suspension parts? I'm wanting to keep the 4x4 transfer case but go as low as I can without sacrificing the 4x4.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by operatorfailure
Awesome job man. I am planning on using a 2000+ Tahoe/Yukon to put my 68 c10 body on and am glad to see someone do something similar and be happy with the result.

Is it lowered any, or is that stock height suspension parts? I'm wanting to keep the 4x4 transfer case but go as low as I can without sacrificing the 4x4.
Operatorfailure Thank You. It is a lot of work but, well worth it in the end. That is full stock suspension about 3 turns down on the torsion keys. My son and I both have NBS AWD RCSB turbo trucks that are lowered. Flipped rear MCG upper and lower control arms and drop spindles. These things can get pretty low. I have lift shackles on my rear to bring it back up dealing with my dirt roads. My son has shaved his crossmembers to be level with the bottom of the frame and put a clocking ring on his transfercase so everything is above his frame rails.

Watch out for the SUV frames they are fairly different in the rear. The tanks are located differently. The coil spring rear is more difficult to lower without more modification with the tracbar etc. Also, unless you get an early Escalde you will not get the NP149 transfercase. They rely on the brakes for the AWD to work properly and that'd be a pain to get right. But if you are building all the mounts into it for your body, and installing the BCM anything is possible. As a matter of fact I am running an 02 Escalde rear driveshaft and swaybar.

As for videos. I am in the middle of building a different log manifold out of schedule 40 to hold up to the heat of a wrapped manifold and the vibration of a sometimes very rough road. Secondly, can someone tell me how to post a video. Do I have to post it on YouTube and link it? It's not something I do so I haven't researched it.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:40 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking a 3/5 or 4/6 drop would look great and doable with the coil rear of the SUV. Just glad to see this kind of thing being done.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

Definitely doable. I actually have the lowering kit from my 05 Yukon Denali that met an untimely death due to 15000 lb Stepvan that decided to pull out in front of it. Caught it right in front of the rear wheels. As it drove over the front of the Denali, it rolled itself over on its side. So she didn't die in vein. The Stepvan didn't make it either...

If/when you're ready, I may still have it. Just LMK.
Attached Thumbnails 86 Square Body on SS AWD-image.jpg  
Old 02-22-2015, 09:20 PM
Teching In

in for kill vids!
Old 01-17-2016, 02:02 PM
Teching In

Rarely post, but for this I had to. Is there any updates on this? Was it finished, what happen?
Old 01-18-2016, 05:39 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Carltonchevy
Rarely post, but for this I had to. Is there any updates on this? Was it finished, what happen?

Yep, I finished it. All except for paint. I bought all new body gaskets window felts etc. Been waiting to pull it apart to get it done right. I've put over 6K trouble free miles on it. Its been like a new truck for me. I've had a lot of comments from strangers wanting to know more about it. I love the strange looks I get when it jumps out and doesn't burn the tires off of it. Still running a mostly stock exhaust so its quiet and quick. At idle, you'd barely know it was running. A/C and cruise work as they should and I added a rear swaybar so it tracks extremely well.

On a side note. I'd like to hear from others on a paint scheme. I know its ultimately up to me but... I'm leaning more toward a period correct 2 tone with modern metallic paint colors. Maybe something subtle like Pewter main body color with Silver Birch center body stripe. Anybody with photoshop skills able to put it together so I could see it beforehand?

Thanks for the interest. The truck has exceeded my expectations and I've enjoyed the build as much as the result.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:39 PM
Teching In

I agree, we need some updated pictures and video/walk around. As for paint I think the silver and black two tone is always a good choice.