PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

97 silverado rcsb street truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 03:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderwagen
Its looking really good man. I like the wheel choice.
Thanks!
Old 09-01-2015, 01:57 AM
Staging Lane

Has the truck seen any driving yet? How well do the 15x10s fit? Would love to put a set that wide on my truck. Roll the fenders in? Or able to tuck them in without?
Old 09-01-2015, 09:22 AM
Staging Lane

Update time;

I finished up all the small little things to get the truck ready for its maiden voyage. For exhaust I ended up going 2.5" duals, swept over to the pass side with flowmaster super 44's with sort of a side exited 90 / dump. I will take some pictures to show what I mean. Its pretty noisy, but that suits me fine. I'm still planning on putting in a v-band clamp split over the trans crossmember so everything can unbolt, and come out, and then I can weld in the h-pipe. Fan and fuel pumps are wired up properly now with relays, fan works good, kicks in at 185 and off at 170. I'm not sure whats up with the balancer, as I tried to time the truck on the mark, but it ran like dog sh*t. It was back firing, and breaking up around 3k. I ended up with almost 20 degrees initial for right now compared to where the tdc mark is, and it likes it way more there. I will get it tuned up more and see where initial and total timing end up. Gauges are wired up now, which look pretty sweet, but there still is no interior in it besides the dash, drivers seat and wrong color door panels...haha.

Anyways on to the test drive...it was mostly a win. The 5 speed is still alive which i'm happy to report, considering I was getting a little grumpy on how it ran at first...so I beat on it pretty hard. I can probably attribute that to not having posi yet, even though it span both for 1rst and part of 2nd gear, then just good ol one tire fire for third. I'm surprised how the suspension behaves. It squats hard like it has 90/10's and rocks hard between gears. Most of that is probably due to how the rear shock arrangement has changed. Its kind of a weird feeling, as i don't think the truck is all that impressive yet...it has some carb issues to dial in also, besides the a fore mentioned timing issues. Now onto the bad. The M/T valve covers I spent so much time re-doing don't seal at all. The lip on the valve cover interfere's with the thicker gasket surface of the edelbrock head, and it pretty much gave everything an oil bath. The headers melted any loom that was close...which isn't that close lol, but didn't hurt any wiring. Lastly the alternator doesn't seem like its up to the task. I may just sand off the lip of the valve covers for now, or just spring for some nice ones, re-route some of the sending unit wiring, and pick up a new higher amp alternator. More updates, videos etc coming soon

Last edited by lsxponcho; 09-01-2015 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:29 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jblake
Has the truck seen any driving yet? How well do the 15x10s fit? Would love to put a set that wide on my truck. Roll the fenders in? Or able to tuck them in without?
The 15x10's fit and look awesome. The only trouble i have on the inside is the e-brake cables since now they are routed over the leaf. If i didn't tie them back, they would rub on the hoop of the wheel. Even though the fronts are 7" wide it kind of has a slight big and little look to it. I did end up cutting most of the lip off the glass bed sides though. I will take some pics. I could have gotten away with 1/2" trim I think, but while I was in there the cut off wheel got carried away. A good roll on a fleet side would be sufficient. They had room at ride height, but once the *** end dumps hard, they need room.

Last edited by lsxponcho; 09-01-2015 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:02 PM
Staging Lane

You think they would have fit with a 5" back space?
Old 09-01-2015, 01:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jblake
You think they would have fit with a 5" back space?
If you need them to tuck at all you need at least 6" bs. You could even go 6.25" but depending on tire size it looks like you run the risk of rubbing the front half of the leafs with the tire (say if you went with a 315/60 or 325/50) at least on my truck. With my 28x11.5 I wouldn't have any issue if I had gone 6.25, but I wanted the most outside I could fit and tuck..will probably go 28x12.5 next.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:37 PM
Staging Lane

damn guess that counts out my centreline wheels in a 10" rim then. Thanks for the info!
Old 09-04-2015, 11:00 AM
Staging Lane

My neighbor came over to help me shoot some video of test and tuning. Seems to be running a little better...oil leaks are fixed, and timing is fairly close. I forgot to shut the hood on the first pull... Good thing I missed third gear lol. Stock shifter is terrible.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:19 PM
Teching In

truck looks nice and clean.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:22 AM
Staging Lane

A little update again with video.

Quick Reply: 97 silverado rcsb street truck