PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Big block in 2007 gmt-900 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 01:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big block in 2007 gmt-900 Suburban

I have the idea how do I go about putting a big block in my 2007 Suburban? I want to keep it somewhat factory like, but I do live in a no smog test area. So fuel injection and AC are definite items to keep. Or am I better off coming up with a 6.2 or some other LS variant and putting that in?
Old 06-08-2011, 03:01 AM
12 Second Truck Club

First of all... Welcome to the forums. second of all; there is a wealth of knowledge on this site. So do yourself a favor and spend some time on here and combine this knowledge with what you know and find out what is going to suit you best. There are many different setups and ways to achieve the same goals. Read up and familiarize yourself with what you have and what you want, then use all of the information you have gathered to make a better educated decision to answer your own question. Good luck.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sure sounds cool. What engine were you thinking about? 454 502? or a newer 8.1?

Gonna need a 4L80 trans to handle all the torque, what bout rear end?
What you gonna use it for?

A bunch of info needed to help ya determine which route you might wanna go.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Marks_427
Or am I better off coming up with a 6.2 or some other LS variant and putting that in?
IMO yes.

Or put a roots style supercharger on it. I'm guessing you want a big block to make power down low.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:36 PM
Launching!

alright this is coming from a guy that still has a 1985 chevy truck with a not so stock 396 in it and let me tell you I dont want to race it against my 2001 5.3 cause I believe it would smoke its ***. I dont believe it is worth the time and effort in tryin to put a big block in it just to look cool you can get more usable power out of an LS series engine and have twice the fuel mileage and more streetability. thats just my 2 cents though
Old 06-08-2011, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Big blocks are only useful if you want to add 200+ lbs of unnecessary weight to your vehicle.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:18 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

More importantly why do you want a Big Block? Is it for the Cubic inch displacement, the N/A potential, the low end TQ of those blocks or is it because of your familiarity with those engines?

In order to help you decide if it's a good swap to do or not, kinda need to know what specifically it is your after, because an LS motor can perform up to if not exceed the abilities of a Big Block given certain parameters.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:33 PM

I already know putting in a big block has a high hassle factor, exhaust headers/manifolds being one issue. I've also got concerns about front differential clearance. So an LS would definetly be the way to go. I just miss the 70s when the biggest engines were in mass production vehicles and were cheap and easy to get. This modern day of big engines in Camaros and Vettes makes it expensive. Just seems wrong that my 3 ton Suburban has a 5.3 and a Camaro gets a 6.2 and you cant get the reverse no matter how hard you beg. My hope was to get an 8.1 for less cost than a 6.2. Problem of course is expense of the conversion hassles might blow away the savings anyway.

With 3 tons of truck I want more low end power. From what I've already looked into regearing to 4.11 or 4.55 gear ratio, a cam and tune will do a lot for it. If I really want to go add a super charger and long tube headers. Based on what all of you have said and what you drive this would be the way to go. I can always pickup the big block valve cover adapters for the look. :-)

I should take the hint that I am not finding this conversion done already too. You guys have got to be right on the LS engines or there would be a big block Avalanche, Tahoe or Suburban out there.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:59 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Whats your budget and skill level? Time frame?
Old 06-08-2011, 05:34 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
Whats your budget and skill level? Time frame?

You can do it, and it's been done, there's a few trucks I've seen with this done, but their reasons for doing it were very specific to their application. If you want big low end and big CI displacement you can get a LSXTD block and get to about 488ci yet still retain the LS block dimensions and EFI abilities. Add a KB blower on that and your pretty much untouchable in the low end department.

But again, like scott asked what's your budget and skill level?

Quick Reply: Big block in 2007 gmt-900 Suburban