PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Bike buildup

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 05:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike buildup

Back story:

1977 KZ1000. Picked up the bike cheap from the original owner, hadn't seen the road in 28 years. Bike has 4k original miles on the motor and frame. It was parked due to a locked up carb.

Tires were shot. Suspension was done, needed all new seals. Parked with a tank of gas in it, so the tank rusted thru. Mice got the harness. Time got most everything else. Basically, this thing was a basket case, but it was all there which is the important part.

SOOO, me and a buddy decided that this would be a good project bike for our side buisness we're wanting to start. We tore it all apart and sat around bullshittin for a few nights over beer and smokes, talking about our options. After mulling it over, we decided the only way we were going to get any kind of money out of this project when finished was to make it something different.

With that being said, I'm gonna post some pictures, then I'll list out the parts list so far and some more details.

Front end going together for a test fit, and to check some clearances on the frame.

Pretty much gonna be a direct swap over with some minor work. Back wheel tossed in the general area just to see....

And it's awesome what a can of spray paint can do. The final color scheme will be all white frame/tins/plastic with the wheels powder coated to match the shock tubes.

The motor is only half done right now. I've had some other projects pop up that have been eating up time. You can get the idea though.

So at this point this is the list of parts:

2006 636 complete front end
2007 ZX10r front and rear wheels/brakes/sprocket
2006 ZX10r rear mono shock with 636 dog bone linkage
77 KZ650 rear tail section

By the time we're done, it will have rear controls on it, clip ons, custom lights front and rear, anything not needed cut off and smoothed, Corbin seat....... the list keeps going on, but I won't bore with all the details just yet, mostly because we don't have all the details nailed down yet.

So that's that. I'll keep this updated as we go along.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:51 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man, we let anybody in here these days

Looking good bro, that's gonna be a fun bike to ride!
Old 12-19-2008, 06:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Kick ***!!
Is that front end off a ZX10 or something else??
I am almost done restoring a 1992 FZR1000, wasn't in that bad of shape, but too many things had been molested by the last two owners.

Duh, a 636 front end I see now that I read everything, lol
Old 12-19-2008, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TG02Z71
Kick ***!!
Is that front end off a ZX10 or something else??
I am almost done restoring a 1992 FZR1000, wasn't in that bad of shape, but too many things had been molested by the last two owners.
Front end is from a 636, but it's essentially the same as the ZX10r.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:11 PM
Need More N2O Mod

Isn't this a truck website? Who in their right might would help you out on a project like this? So hows the honda treating ya in this weather were having?
Old 12-20-2008, 06:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I remember being 12 -13 years old and drooling over those bikes. The rear fender was cool. The big 1000cc inline with the headers coming down to one pipe. The thing around here was to remove the baffle and run them. Gawd they sounded mean.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:48 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mwalls54
Isn't this a truck website? Who in their right might would help you out on a project like this? So hows the honda treating ya in this weather were having?
It says projects gallery, doesn't say what kind, lol.

I wrecked the Honda last week in that first ice storm we got. I'm fixing it, but it's pretty jacked up. Tore the suspension off the left side. I should have it up and going this week hopefully. Just bought a 85 4Runner to supplement the car too, lol. Figured out this whole one cage thing sucks!
Old 12-20-2008, 09:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Here's my FZR1000, painted the frame satin black. it turned out great!
Attached Thumbnails Bike buildup-sm-img_2942.jpg   Bike buildup-sm-img_2948.jpg   Bike buildup-sm-img_2957.jpg   Bike buildup-sm-img_2967.jpg   Bike buildup-sm-img_2978.jpg  

Old 12-20-2008, 09:59 AM
TECH Veteran

More pics after starting assembly. Had to re-work the EXUP power valve, it was frozen solid, had the stock headers plated and polished, half is stainless steel the other is a cast iron section where the power valve goes. The swing arm was all sratched up, needed some slight welding and filler applied and painted that too.

Sorry for hijacking you thread, i didnt think anyone posted pics of their bike projects here soo i took the opportunity to post in yours, lol
Attached Thumbnails Bike buildup-img_3136sm.jpg   Bike buildup-img_3141sm.jpg   Bike buildup-img_3155sm.jpg  
Old 12-20-2008, 12:41 PM
Need More N2O Mod

Originally Posted by 203Cree
It says projects gallery, doesn't say what kind, lol.

I wrecked the Honda last week in that first ice storm we got. I'm fixing it, but it's pretty jacked up. Tore the suspension off the left side. I should have it up and going this week hopefully. Just bought a 85 4Runner to supplement the car too, lol. Figured out this whole one cage thing sucks!
I am sure you wern't driving fast either so you got a good truck to drive. solid axle, fuel injected. any pics of it?

Quick Reply: Bike buildup