PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

BlackGMC build take 2 - Turbo Time

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TIM Z
Nice Job Corey !

Those Assasin bars look sweet , how hard is it to set them up ?

Your motivating me to get my rear sway bar installed

Well the rear part was easy. The front portion was a pain. If you have drop hanger the front lount requires some/alot of grinding.

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
What kind of rear gay bar is that???
It is a addco. The entire kit is a pile of **** except the bar itself. All the mounting hardware is ****. All the rubber part are ****. I basically replaced everything or made stuff myself. Now it is pretty good.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:32 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Well the rear part was easy. The front portion was a pain. If you have drop hanger the front lount requires some/alot of grinding.

It is a addco. The entire kit is a pile of **** except the bar itself. All the mounting hardware is ****. All the rubber part are ****. I basically replaced everything or made stuff myself. Now it is pretty good.
So it is gay....

I got my hands on a Tahoe set up a while back just haven't had time to mess with it.

Good to know you used standard leaf spring pads to mount it. I thought I was going to have to make something custm to mount it. I was also looking in to getting new poly mounts.

I thought about getting the Hotchkis set up until I figured out they were basically using a similar set up from a GMT400 suburban with custom mounts and nice powder coating.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:36 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I got the assasin bars installed and my rear sway bar. I welded spring perches to the axle to attach the sway bar. Then i made some rear brackets. I still need to finish welding up a few things and throw on a coat of paint.

looks badass homeslice need more(better) pics bro!
Old 02-02-2013, 09:42 PM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
So it is gay....

I got my hands on a Tahoe set up a while back just haven't had time to mess with it.

Good to know you used standard leaf spring pads to mount it. I thought I was going to have to make something custm to mount it. I was also looking in to getting new poly mounts.

I thought about getting the Hotchkis set up until I figured out they were basically using a similar set up from a GMT400 suburban with custom mounts and nice powder coating.
Yeah i replaced all the rubber stuff with energy suspension parts. The front addco bar i also had to replaced all the hardware.

Originally Posted by moregrip
looks badass homeslice need more(better) pics bro!
Thanks. Yeah my pictures are crap cause they are from my phone.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:20 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Was the front bar any bigger??? What is the OD of the rear???
Old 02-02-2013, 10:45 PM
Resident Retard

The front is 1.5 inches which is bigger than stock. The rear is 1 inch. I got greaseable poly bushings from energy suspension.

I just took the truck for a drive with the rear installed. The suspension is tight!!!

A little history.

First i had my homemade long bars, poly leaf spring bushings,no rear sway bar and -2* pinion angle. The truck would body roll pretty good and spin like a kofo under part throttle. The rear would kick sideways bad when it spun.

Next i installed the assasin bars. The truck did not spin as much above 40mph but it would still kick sideways bad.

Next rear sway installed. No body roll at all. The suspension tighten up. It was a little more bumpy thou. Now when it spins at speed it does not kick sideways it just goes straight. So it is better.

I have been thinking about redoing the rear drop. I have 2 options that i have been looking into to get a 4-5" drop

Option 1: install factory hangers, flip the axle with a new spring perch and add a 1-2" lift shackle to get me to a 4 inch drop.

Option 2: install factory hangers, buy 3" rear drop springs and a 1-2 drop shackle.

Option 1 is cheaper. I am just not sure which one will give me better suspension geometry.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:09 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

What about that 4 link Idea???
Old 02-02-2013, 11:14 PM
Resident Retard

Well that is on hold for awhile. I need to buy a tig and learn how to tig weld to build the new fuel cell. When i build it i want to move the gas door backwards to the rear quarter. Then i can do the 4 link. So that is gonna be a long term project/idea to do it the way i want. Also when i do it i am gonna figure out a way to keep the factory emissions stuff. My old vented cell made my garage smell like gas. That is not wife approved.

So the 4-link will probably be next year. Also i wont do the 4-link unless i have a 14 bolt or 9 inch.

I need something to get me by until then. What i have now just spins the tires like a **** all the time.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:20 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Well that is on hold for awhile. I need to buy a tig and learn how to tig weld to build the new fuel cell. When i build it i want to move the gas door backwards to the rear quarter. Then i can do the 4 link. So that is gonna be a long term project/idea to do it the way i want. Also when i do it i am gonna figure out a way to keep the factory emissions stuff. My old vented cell made my garage smell like gas. That is not wife approved.

So the 4-link will probably be next year. Also i wont do the 4-link unless i have a 14 bolt or 9 inch.

I need something to get me by until then. What i have now just spins the tires like a **** all the time.
These things could be accomplished... Wish I could make it out to that meet but I have been so busy at work lately.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:24 PM
Resident Retard

Yeah all that is the long term project. Just takes time and money. Time is what i am short with. Hell my meth kit is sitting on the shelf waiting to be installed but i have zero time these days.

I think i will go with a flip kit and a lift shackle for now. Hopefully that will help with my traction issues.

Quick Reply: BlackGMC build take 2 - Turbo Time