PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

BlackGMC build take 2 - Turbo Time

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 01:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Didn't your S475 come with the inlet bell in the race cover like mine did. I could have sworn it was you who I was talking to about it but maybe it was someone else. It was a while back. Anyway, the below picture is how my turbo came from BW. Jose at forced induction takes out the inlet bell on all of his turbos. All it is is an air silencer and doesn't provide any performance gain having it in place. Jose claims removing it will gain you about 20-40hp.

Anyway, the inlet bell is held in by three hardened roll pins. I used an 1/8" solid carbide drill bit and drilled each pin out slowly. Then you can push the bell out of the inlet bore. Sounds totally different now, in a good way! I don't have a pic of the inlet without the silencer but there is a comparison pic in this thread by Reed @ Work Turbochargers, 3rd post down: WHAT DOES A BW S480 FRONT RACE COVER LOOK LIKE - Yellow Bullet Forums

Name:  null_zpsdf0a1d47.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  91.1 KB
Old 08-23-2014, 01:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow didnt know that oakley. mine came without that piece and the whistle is pretty loud on my s475
Old 08-23-2014, 03:16 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

This is what mine looks like. So has that bell allready been removed?

Name:  AD4278CC-22E0-440D-91D6-00A5BA1C9841-9032-00000296CE59C2AA.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  328.5 KB
Old 08-23-2014, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Thats a standard cover, they dont come with a ring.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea you must not have been the one I was talking about the inlet attenuator with. That is crazy that you still can't hear the turbo. Have you taken it up the street without a muffler on it? Open exhaust used to make my turbo whistle a lot louder. Haven't tried it since I removed that ring though.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

if it wasnt for the PPPSSSSSSEEEEHHHHSSSSZZZZZZ i would not have went turbo.

I was just thinking about this, when I end up selling my current kit and get into a new truck with a new kit, it better be as loud if not louder than my current set up otherwise ill be pissed.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Well something i noticed with all the new crap. I cannot hear the turbo anymore. I thought no biggie at 7psi. Now at 10psi still cannot hear it. With the monster magnaflow muffler the truck is quiet. I like it.
that big filter probably silences it too..
cant wait to see it again its been too long.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bigboy576103
that big filter probably silences it too..
cant wait to see it again its been too long.
That filter shouldn't have any effect.

I'm running a larger filter on mine with a massive magnaflow diesel muffler. I've got the same turbo and it's loud as ****. If I couldn't hear the turbo I'd ask for a refund
Old 09-04-2014, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats strange. took mine to ennis this weekend and sound like a jet no joke can barely hear the truck.
i guess there are more factors then we realize.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:22 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Been a little bit since i updated the thread. Well I had a few issues and a few ****-ups over the last few weeks i have been chasing down.

Everything was great, truck was tuned to 10psi and running great. Then it all went to ****. All of the sudden the truck was going insanely lean at part throttle and retardly rich at WOT... i was stumped.

I will start with the **** ups. Since those are the most fun.

Fuckup #1. Since it is 2014 and i have owned the truck since 2004, i decided it was time to add keyless entry. Seems simple enough. It took a few hours to install, the biggest issue was triggering the lights to flash. Well it installed with no issues. The next day i drove the truck everything went to ****. It was insanely lean at part throttle and insanely rich at WOT. Which makes zero sense. so i started tearing stuff apart and replacing ****.

First i removed all the pcv system since i messed with it a day or so earlier. that really changed nothing
Second i swapped out the plugs thinking the Iridium plugs fouled out or broke. The iridium plugs looked brand new. I put in some BREF6s anyways. Those changed nothing, if anything it ran worse.
Third i swapped out the FPR, which slightly helped which is odd....

Come to find out, when i installed the keyless entry, I mounted the ground to a bracket under the dash will all my other grounds. Well when i loosened that bracket a power wire got caught behind it and barely cut the outer covering when i tightened it, causing the wire to short sporadically. Well since all my grounds (wideband, meth, triggers for fuel pumps, gauges, etc) are all in one spot, they all acted slightly strange. After finding that little easter egg all is well.

Fuckup #2
well this fuckup is still unproven but i am addressing it anyways. Since it has been hot as the Devil's crotch here lately, i have been checking out some under the hood temps. I have noticed that after a long drive alot of my fuel fittings are in the 140-150* temp range. That kinda worries me since gas is flowing through them. If i only had 1 or 2 fittings i would not worry but i have a metric **** ton of fittings. I am not sure if it is heating up the gas or not. So I am gonna redo my fuel lines to something simpler and relocate my FPR. I am just going to do like everyone else have a feed into one rail, then a crossover the out the other rail to the FPR.

Lastly the failure.

my new Fuelab FPR was the issue with the annoying noise noted about 3 pages back. I swapped my Aeromotive one back on the truck and the noise completely went away. I read a bunch of things on Fuel Labs website and forum about the issues. The biggest thing was keep the fittings to a minimum and not use any Drilled fittings. So i kinda broke the fittings to a minimum rule to say the least.

So during that whole time i dicked with my tune, so over last week i have been starting from scratch on it. I got it tuned back to 7psi. During this time i have been really concentrating on the part throttle timing. I have gone up and i have gone down. i have also been playing around with the TC lockup and downshift settings. MAN what a difference that makes. Seems like i was having the TC lockup to early and stay locked too long. I think i have those settings to my liking. MAN the truck is a blast to drive now! Also i took out the BREF6s and put in some TR6IX gapped at .030. Just swapping to those the truck ran alot better.

So i am gonna start back on the tuning this week.

I have been toying around with the idea of adding one of those Boost Activated Cut-out things. But i dunno.

Quick Reply: BlackGMC build take 2 - Turbo Time