PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Blown06-New Build: Cage, 4-Link, Cog Drive, + Too Much More

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015 | 07:27 PM
Slowest turbo build ever!

I have no idea how hard it is obtain a "sponsorship" for any kind of drag racing. But I can say that, when I was trying to get into racing MX, it was not hard at all to get a "sponsorship" for a year through certain websites. These would normally just be electronic agreements and had certain requirements you had to meet in order to receive your deal. In my case, it was normally just a discount code and I really had no requirements to fulfill, other than completing a profile. It's not like you got any REAL support from the companies. But it was tough in that, you had to apply to a bunch of different companies and join a few different websites and hope that any of them actually responded.

One thing I remember reading from Stock48's magazine article sums everything up perfectly. To paraphrase a little; no one gave a **** that he has a 9 second street truck, but once he did his 8 second Nova, he got peoples attention.
Old 04-15-2015 | 07:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by black00chev

One thing I remember reading from Stock48's magazine article sums everything up perfectly. To paraphrase a little; no one gave a **** that he has a 9 second street truck, but once he did his 8 second Nova, he got peoples attention.
To me, what stock48 did with the truck was far more impressive than the car.

Also, I believe the truck side, although significantly smaller than the car side, was much more of a groundsetter in advancement and pushing the LS platform. But there's really no recognition of this because this is such as a small niche. #1, Parish, nothing more needs to be said on that. Secondly, stock48 went 10s in his truck years ago on basically all stock everything and this would have equated to an easy 9 second pass in an F-body, and who knows how much better in the ubiquitous gutted foxbody. Rick@Synergy made basically 900 rwhp on a stock 5.3 eons ago, yet you've got people very recently saying they were the first to break 800, 900, etc with a 5.3. Rick was savvy enough to know that if he tried to put down 900 on the street or track in the actual weight of a truck, a rod would be stuck out the side.

So in summary, in the grand scheme of things essentially nobody gives a **** about fast trucks and those that do make up a very small minority of the overall group of car enthusiasts. Your average joe can't even relate to Blown06's truck, and to me, may be the reason why there is no interest in sponsorship.
Old 04-15-2015 | 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

I'd like to comment on this but can we split this off to a general/off-topic discussion?

I really like this build thread and would hate to see it derailed by the current conversation.
Old 04-15-2015 | 09:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Blown06
Originally I had Moser (sponsor plug lol) drill the rotors and plug/redrill/thread the hubs on the stock stuff. Not sure if they still do it, but for what they used to charge back in the day it was the way to go for sure.

The 5-lug conversion that you are seeing in those pics is a custom 5-lug conversion drag brake kit that Madman/Insane Chassisworks (double sponsor plug lol) prototype'd and ended up making/selling 10 kits. Insane Chassisworks had to shut the doors and Madman is now working for TRE (non-sponsor plug lol) up North of Houston. I haven't talked to him in a while and as far as I know there are not anymore kits being made at this time. It's not profitable for him to have 1 kit made. I'd be more than willing to help and I'd bet if we could gather up enough money for another order of 10 he would do it. Let me know. Like I said, I can help make it happen if there is enough interest.
Thanks for The reply. I will try on my end to round up people to get this setup you have and will let you know. Your truck is one of my favorite builds. I'm pretty picky as well like you and like clean and slick builds.
Old 04-16-2015 | 12:20 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Thanks for the replys guys. I just wanted to know a what the general feel for "all of it" was around here.

Nothing more really to discuss, most of my questions have been answered.

For the record: I absolutely have no problem with pt.net or who ever using pics of my truck for shirts or whatever.

Back on with the "build thread".
Old 04-16-2015 | 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

are you done yet?

do a burnout

pop a wheelie
Old 04-16-2015 | 04:47 PM
Formerly ScreamingL

As for getting attention, it's gonna be hard to take attention away from other trucks out there...in 2015 a high 8 low 9s truck in Texas isn't the talk of the show when You have several 7s trucks now on the scene .

Also curious how long you're gonna keep at it before you swap to turbo and have a chance at the fast truck list that's popping Up.

And as for a car they dont always get the attention either as it's been done countless times...now stock48s car got the attention cause it was a simple setup with stock motor..now his car has built motor his fame will die off as well with That car.

Ppl only are concerned with the latest fame for 15minutes.

Remember when hayhauler was the baddest truck around? Now truck can't get out of 9s and is old news with La Canalla and Spike and Quans TT Silverado all running 7s

In the Ford side of things they have sponsors that actually pay up for some of the racers doing nmca
Old 04-16-2015 | 11:55 PM
8 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by George C....
As for getting attention, it's gonna be hard to take attention away from other trucks out there...in 2015 a high 8 low 9s truck in Texas isn't the talk of the show when You have several 7s trucks now on the scene .

Also curious how long you're gonna keep at it before you swap to turbo and have a chance at the fast truck list that's popping Up.

And as for a car they dont always get the attention either as it's been done countless times...now stock48s car got the attention cause it was a simple setup with stock motor..now his car has built motor his fame will die off as well with That car.

Ppl only are concerned with the latest fame for 15minutes.

Remember when hayhauler was the baddest truck around? Now truck can't get out of 9s and is old news with La Canalla and Spike and Quans TT Silverado all running 7s

In the Ford side of things they have sponsors that actually pay up for some of the racers doing nmca
It's not gonna happen any time soon. There is no doubt in my mind I can make the procharger thing work. How many passes where made with any turbo truck before it ran 8's? It took 35 passes to run 8's procharged.

I won't need to do the turbo thing to stay on that list.

I really had the thing goofed up last year and it still ran good. There were a lot of things that where happening that should not have been happening. It'll run 8.50's consistantly with a janky motor. If I could get another job like I had a couple years ago and money was like water........peoples heads would roll.
Old 04-17-2015 | 12:01 AM
8 Second Truck Club

This project is kind of hanging in the balance at the moment. My industry is getting crushed right now and nobody is making any money. I don't mean like oh we where making 250k a year and now we are only making 50k. I mean like we are making 0k a year right now.

It's really strange, I have made less money every year, year after year, since 2011. That was my best year.
Old 04-17-2015 | 12:05 AM

What industry is that?

Quick Reply: Blown06-New Build: Cage, 4-Link, Cog Drive, + Too Much More