PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Blown06-New Build: Cage, 4-Link, Cog Drive, + Too Much More

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011 | 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anything new?
Old 05-27-2011 | 12:43 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Other than getting ripped up on tech and the bullet, not much.

My engine builder is a little backed up right now. I'm not looking to start another bs 4.100" haters convention, but I did talk to him yesterday and he seems to think he has a handle on a piston design for the 4.100" stroke crank. So we'll see. The way others talk, I should probably go ahead and get started on another engine as well. lol.
Old 05-27-2011 | 12:52 AM
Baltimore Whore

Only one away to find out brotha, let it eat...
Old 05-27-2011 | 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I guess you'll find out once its running eh? You'll either be doing another engine build or you'll be able to tell people it worked.
Old 05-27-2011 | 07:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I say screw it they wouldnt make that crank if it wouldnt work!!!

I am interested in seeing how this thing is gonna do as for as streetability.
Old 05-27-2011 | 09:04 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Originally Posted by Blown06
Other than getting ripped up on tech and the bullet, not much.

My engine builder is a little backed up right now. I'm not looking to start another bs 4.100" haters convention, but I did talk to him yesterday and he seems to think he has a handle on a piston design for the 4.100" stroke crank. So we'll see. The way others talk, I should probably go ahead and get started on another engine as well. lol.
Why do you call it a hates convention when people with real world experience with the questions you're asking say its a bad idea. Je and wiseco made my pistons and neither worked. Hopefully they've made some improvements over the last couple of years. I wonder who is willing to build you a 4.1 motor knowing how hard you're going to push it? The compression height alone on that piston is enough not to run it on big boost much less the horrible rod angle, excessive bearing wear etc. Maybe you will get lucky since you don't drive your truck but then again both of my motors had less than 5000 on them before I pulled them out.

The 4.1 crank was made to use a longer rod and for low revving na engines. That crank would be ok in an aluminum block that has a longer sleeve and will give better piston stability at BDC.
Old 05-28-2011 | 12:28 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Why do you call it a hates convention when people with real world experience with the questions you're asking say its a bad idea. Je and wiseco made my pistons and neither worked. Hopefully they've made some improvements over the last couple of years. I wonder who is willing to build you a 4.1 motor knowing how hard you're going to push it? The compression height alone on that piston is enough not to run it on big boost much less the horrible rod angle, excessive bearing wear etc. Maybe you will get lucky since you don't drive your truck but then again both of my motors had less than 5000 on them before I pulled them out.

The 4.1 crank was made to use a longer rod and for low revving na engines. That crank would be ok in an aluminum block that has a longer sleeve and will give better piston stability at BDC.
Please don't misunderstand me. I appreciated the comments from the people who have actually had the combo, whether the input was positive or negative. The hate convention remark was aimed at those who are just retyping something they read on the internet and offer no real substance to a technical related thread. Geez, just cause I have my mind set on doing something doesn't mean we can talk about it.

The purpose of my posts on tech and the bullet where to find out if anyone had any success with the combo and what they did to fix any of the "known" issues with that combo. I wasn't looking to start a pissing match, but people just get so worked up. I was just trying to start friendly discussion, instead it was like "your engine builder is dumb", "your dumb", "why are posting", etc.
Old 05-28-2011 | 12:30 PM

Blown06, I have watched your build with great enthusiasm.

FWIW, 1slow was offering an opinion... a real world one at that. You were waiting for someone to make a comment about the crank - post 438. Looks like your being a little defensive right out of the gate. Its all good though. We're all here waiting for that kick *** truck of yours to haul some groceries!

Lets get the thread back on track

Bill
Old 05-28-2011 | 12:36 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by Bill Reid
Blown06, I have watched your build with great enthusiasm.

FWIW, 1slow was offering an opinion... a real world one at that. You were waiting for someone to make a comment about the crank - post 438. Looks like your being a little defensive right out of the gate. Its all good though. We're all here waiting for that kick *** truck of yours to haul some groceries!

Lets get the thread back on track

Bill
yeah
Old 05-29-2011 | 01:07 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Originally Posted by Blown06
Please don't misunderstand me. I appreciated the comments from the people who have actually had the combo, whether the input was positive or negative. The hate convention remark was aimed at those who are just retyping something they read on the internet and offer no real substance to a technical related thread. Geez, just cause I have my mind set on doing something doesn't mean we can talk about it.

The purpose of my posts on tech and the bullet where to find out if anyone had any success with the combo and what they did to fix any of the "known" issues with that combo. I wasn't looking to start a pissing match, but people just get so worked up. I was just trying to start friendly discussion, instead it was like "your engine builder is dumb", "your dumb", "why are posting", etc.
Ok, I wasn't trying to be an ***, just wanted to let you know I had some "experts" tell me the same thing that they could make it work. And after two engines I was out thousands of dollars and tons of my time with a dead truck to show for it. I built one of the motors and a reputable engine builder did the other and both had the same issue.

If you're dead set on that stroke atleast put it in an aluminum block. The instability at BDC is what IMO kills those engines. Both of mine had egg shaped cylinder walls and the skirts were ate up pretty bad.

You have to remember given the same deck height and length of rod the only way to adjust for stroke is in pin placement and pin placement leads to the instability. Also, a small compression height piston due to the stroke length leads to. Weaker ringlands on big boost. They will be much less resistant to any detonation you will have too due to the short compression height. Whatever you do, make sure the pistons have the widest skirt you can possibly get. Brian Nutter from wiseco designed my last pistons, and a very reputable engine builder built the longblock and they failed too thus my stance on not putting much faith in the "professionals". After my own research I figured out what the problem was.

I sincerely hope you get a combo that works I just think its going to be difficult to achieve that given how hard I know you're going to run that engine.

Quick Reply: Blown06-New Build: Cage, 4-Link, Cog Drive, + Too Much More