PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Blown06-New Build: Cage, 4-Link, Cog Drive, + Too Much More

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012 | 12:19 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Got some work done this weekend. Took one step forward and two steps back as usual.

The step forward:
I completely finished the accy wiring harness. This harness controls all factory light functions and the windows. I built it with the possibility of also adding a stereo in the future. Hooked it all up and holy crap, everything works perfect. DRL's, Park lights, Lo beams, Hi beams and brake lights. Windows work perfect too.

Two steps back:
I went to bleed the brakes cause the pedal still felt like stepping on a plumb and realized that there are about 3 leaks. After trying everything I could think of to fix it, a call to madman and I'm gonna take a couple of the lines back to him to be remade. The brake lines are stainless and use a 37* flare with tubing nuts and I don't have the tooling to do that flare, otherwise I would have just bought some line and fixed it right there.

Unhooking the lines, created a brake fluid mess. I got a little carried away with some brakeclean and totally fugged up the paint job I did on the frame. So that needs to be redone now too.
Old 03-13-2012 | 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blown06
Yea, I get about 90% of all my wiring supplies from waytek. The deutsch connectors are nice however they have three downfalls.

1. The proper crimping tool was very expensive
2. They are only rated to 20 amps per terminal
3. Once you get the retaining clip in the female end, good luck getting it out without ruining something. Make sure all your stuff is right before inserting clip.

Thanks for the kind words guys. This build is taking entirely too long.
That tool you have, does it just do the open style terminals or will it do the little barrel ones? I'm thinking of getting one of the ones that just does the closed barrel style.
Old 03-14-2012 | 12:00 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Mine does the open style terminals
Old 04-30-2012 | 05:22 AM
GFYS and STFU

Update?

What did you do to the heads? Your still using my old ones? Hope everything's alright with them.
Old 04-30-2012 | 11:07 PM
8 Second Truck Club

Yea, I'm still using those heads. We put them on the flow bench exactly how I got them from you and they were about the meanest set of cathedral ports in that size anyone had seen. Very pleased with them, thankyou. The problem is the solid roller cam.

I had to get some longer valves made to accomodate the extra spring install height. Also had to get some retainers made to work with the springs my guy wants to use. That then involves a new valve job, and machining on the spring pockets to get everything to fit right.

I talked to the engine builder last week and he told me the heads are supposed to be done by the end of this week. I'm not holding my breath. We have all the parts for the rest of it, so once we get over this obstacle of the heads the rest should go together pretty easy.

Right now the truck is sitting in the garage, its frame rails/cage and body panels only at the moment.
Old 05-01-2012 | 02:23 AM
GFYS and STFU

Good to hear!! Those heads should be well suited to your motor. I really want to see what what they'll do when someone pushes them.
Old 05-01-2012 | 06:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Blown06
I talked to the builder about 2 weeks ago and he said Greg (cylinder head guy) was waiting on some custom valves for the heads. Said the valves where supposed to be there in 8 days. That was 10 business days ago, so I assume they are there and the heads are getting put back together.

I was put under the impression that when the heads where done, he would start on it. This guy is notorious for taking forever, but builds good stuff.
Greg does take FOREVER... he had my buddies sbc heads for months... they flowed some amazing numbers though. he definetly build some top notch stuff
he built my buddies solid roller sbc 427 that makes close to 600rwhp that will sit in traffic all day long. top notch in my book
Old 05-02-2012 | 12:22 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Greg is the man when it comes to cylinder heads.
Old 05-08-2012 | 01:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Your head guy finish up?? What are the plans now that your selling the BS3
Old 05-09-2012 | 12:16 AM
8 Second Truck Club

I got talked into the Holley Dominator.

Quick Reply: Blown06-New Build: Cage, 4-Link, Cog Drive, + Too Much More