PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Blown06-New Build: Cage, 4-Link, Cog Drive, + Too Much More

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013 | 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Man that makes me miss when my truck was nice and newly built and shiny!!

Very well done sir, can't wait to see what it does at the track!!!!!
Old 04-22-2013 | 01:07 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Well, today was a long shitty day.

After fighting a fuel delivery issue for several hours (fixed now) the motor will not start. It's definitely something to do with the holley efi as the injectors wont fire and the plugs wont fire. There is a member in Florida that was helping me via phone and internet and we couldn't get it figured out before he had to go. I tried several other things to no avail, I'm just not familiar enough with this holley stuff to trouble shoot it yet.

Depending on work, we may give it another go tomorrow.
Old 04-22-2013 | 07:46 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Big bummer! must be cobwebs in the computer from sitting. hahaha
Old 04-22-2013 | 09:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

My knowledge on Holley is limited but just like a typical ECM if the control signals are there to coils and injectors then the main terminal bus is not grounded, or you missed a relay/fuse. There's no way on a Holley Management system to just shut off injectors and coils, unless your signal on from the key is grounded which would make the management system think that you're trying to kill the engine.
Old 04-22-2013 | 11:18 PM
8 Second Truck Club

I tried several things today and nothing has worked so far.

I did a system log while cranking and the cam and crank signals look fine.

One thing is kind of weird though, when cranking the rpm gauge doesn't read rpm, it just flashes real fast back and forth the word "syncing" and "stall". When looking at the system log while cranking the rpm graph will show about 110 rpm then 0 rpm then 110 rpm then 0 rpm and so on. Changing about every second. Make sense?
Old 04-23-2013 | 06:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Garbage in, garbage out. Definitely, sounds like a crank signal input issue. First off 110 rpm is very low. Does the engine sound like it is turning over slow? Make sure the battery/s is charged up and engine turns over at normal speed. I would expect 200-300 rpm cranking. I would suspect that your signal coming into the processor is weak and is resulting in your "no command" of fuel/spark. Ck your crank sensor resistance, air gap, air gap runout, pins in each connector (make sure they aren't backed out or wallowed out, lightly tug on wire from back side of connector, etc). I had a problem with my wide band on my brand new BS3 and the wire literally pulled out of the back of the connector. Ended up being a poor pin crimp. Had to get another pin and recrimp to fix. Ck all connectors/pins from sensor to ecm. Call Holley and they can give you a spec range for the sensor and some more tips I'm sure. Post up your findings---curious.

P.S. Make sure you have good power and especially ground for the box. Seen ground loop problems cause weird issues too. Mostly where people have box wired to body of chassis. Good luck.

Originally Posted by Blown06
I tried several things today and nothing has worked so far.

I did a system log while cranking and the cam and crank signals look fine.

One thing is kind of weird though, when cranking the rpm gauge doesn't read rpm, it just flashes real fast back and forth the word "syncing" and "stall". When looking at the system log while cranking the rpm graph will show about 110 rpm then 0 rpm then 110 rpm then 0 rpm and so on. Changing about every second. Make sense?
Old 04-23-2013 | 03:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by slowfive0
Garbage in, garbage out. Definitely, sounds like a crank signal input issue. First off 110 rpm is very low. Does the engine sound like it is turning over slow? Make sure the battery/s is charged up and engine turns over at normal speed. I would expect 200-300 rpm cranking. I would suspect that your signal coming into the processor is weak and is resulting in your "no command" of fuel/spark. Ck your crank sensor resistance, air gap, air gap runout, pins in each connector (make sure they aren't backed out or wallowed out, lightly tug on wire from back side of connector, etc). I had a problem with my wide band on my brand new BS3 and the wire literally pulled out of the back of the connector. Ended up being a poor pin crimp. Had to get another pin and recrimp to fix. Ck all connectors/pins from sensor to ecm. Call Holley and they can give you a spec range for the sensor and some more tips I'm sure. Post up your findings---curious.

P.S. Make sure you have good power and especially ground for the box. Seen ground loop problems cause weird issues too. Mostly where people have box wired to body of chassis. Good luck.
Good info. X2 on the low power/slow cranking typically 250-300 rpm is where everything starts at. This is probably NOT your problem though. Holley is pretty high-end in my opinion. Always has been.

If you're getting crank revolution then you should be getting spark. The chances of all injectors and coils being dead with proper wiring is nearly impossible.

When you turn off the engine that's what happens.

Is this Holley setup like plug and play?
Old 04-23-2013 | 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Grounds, check and double check them. Me and my buddy just installed the Holley HP EFI on his car and the exact same thing was happening. RPM's were a little wonky and wouldn't start. The ground spot he was using was not up to par apparently so we moved it and it fired right up. Give it a looksee. I hope you get it figured out man, the build is epic and I can't wait to see it running.
Old 04-23-2013 | 10:51 PM
8 Second Truck Club

Holley emailed back and said that the crank signal was jacked, that is why it was showing a weird cranking rpm. They suggested the reluctor wheel was the problem. Just on a hunch, I swapped out the crank sensor and it fired right up. Vid does it no justice. Sounds wicked.

Old 04-23-2013 | 11:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

That is great you got it started. Where are you going to tune it? Sounds pretty good by the way. What cam?

Quick Reply: Blown06-New Build: Cage, 4-Link, Cog Drive, + Too Much More