PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Blown06 Suspension/Drivetrain Project: 4/6 Drop, QA-1's, 5-Lug, Bogarts, Long-bars

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you got a very nice truck man
Old 02-10-2010, 12:28 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mglover9558
Very nice build. I'm building along the same lines but with a turbo motor. Do you have the part #'s for the shocks you used?
Thanks, as far as the shocks go, you should really spec them out for your application. QA-1 has all of their shock lengths posted on there website. Make your choice off of measurements taken on your truck at ride height and go from there.

Originally Posted by LsxCody
you got a very nice truck man
Thanks.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:59 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Don't mean to bump threads, I just wanted to give a quick update on how the suspension is working. I still don't have the torque-arm on yet, so nothing has changed.

It went 1.5705 in the 60' yesterday. I'm beginning to wonder if this torque-arm is going to actually hurt it. I don't like going backwards.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

With your flip i dont see how some sort of bar wouldnt help whether it be caltracs or a torque arm, and you already have everything for the bar..
For some reason if it doesnt work, just ditch it.. but i would at least give it a couple times out before ditching it.
Does it feel like your truck is hooking pretty good now, little to no spin?(looks to leave pretty good on that shaky video lol) With those big slicks and a half decent track id imagine it cant be to bad, and some type of bar would help transfer that traction.
get that 60 down in the consistent 1.45range, who knows that might be good for some 10.20s up top in similar conditions..?
Im bored just thought id throw my 2cents in on the matter..

Last edited by skolman91; 03-15-2010 at 03:08 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:14 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Any updates on this thing? I'm gathering data for my rear suspension build. I know I'm at minimun relocating the shocks, but planning on the flip kit and cal tracs, with just a 3" spindle and possibly a trimmed spring up front.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gonna go out on a limb here... did you hit someone or something?
Old 04-13-2010, 01:49 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 1fastmofo
gonna go out on a limb here... did you hit someone or something?
LOL.............something, to avoid hitting someone. I have a feeling if it was someone I'd be in jail for murder. I got into an altercation with someone I didn't want to hit and hit something else instead in order to diffuse the situation. Alcohol was involved and I feel like a complete fool for loosing my temper the way I did. Lesson learned. Was it worth it......Not in a million years.

Back to the truck, I wanna make sure my pinion angle is perfect before building the torque arm. I know how to measure pinion angle, but I'm wondering about the leveling of the motor and trans. When I originally built my trans x-member, I have a feeling I didn't build it tall enough and the motor seems to angle back a little bit. I would like to redo the x-member to get the motor/trans perfectly level in the truck however I don't know a whole lot about building/setting up race cars and was wondering if level is ideal. If so, what do I need to make sure it's level with? The frame rails, the ground at ride height, the rocker panels, an imaginary line parrallel with the center of the front hub and rear axle, etc......Even if the motor needs to be at a specific angle, what do I measure that angle off of? Should I call some chassis builders? Any opinions?
Old 04-25-2010, 03:10 AM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

okay , i have a question..... how does the truck feel " stiffness" wise?

was there a noticeable reduction in drivetrain slack/ axle wrap?

i am looking to do ALMOST the same thing as you.... except my tq arm will be a little bit different, shocks will be in pretty much the same location.... and maybe swap the leaf springs out for some control arms and a panhard bar....

with having a tq arm and coil over shocks.... there is really no use for leafs i would say!
Old 04-25-2010, 03:37 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by daryn c
okay , i have a question..... how does the truck feel " stiffness" wise?

was there a noticeable reduction in drivetrain slack/ axle wrap?

i am looking to do ALMOST the same thing as you.... except my tq arm will be a little bit different, shocks will be in pretty much the same location.... and maybe swap the leaf springs out for some control arms and a panhard bar....

with having a tq arm and coil over shocks.... there is really no use for leafs i would say!
To be honest with you.....if your figuring on removing the leafs and going with a coil over, don't waist your time trying to engineer a lca and torque arm. Just do a ladder bar or 4-link set up and be done.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:57 AM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

i know your probably right!!!, but luckily for me MADMAN lives right down the rd from me... ill be paying a visit to him monday morning , and we will brainstorm on what setup would suit my needs... truck isnt a 100% full blown track vehicle, its mainly a street / play truck, hence the t56 ! but i need something thats going to give me a good foot on the ground with the tall gearing. hell i somehow managed to wheel hop 4th gear at 80 mph last night!!! dont tell me that wasnt a wild ride!

Quick Reply: Blown06 Suspension/Drivetrain Project: 4/6 Drop, QA-1's, 5-Lug, Bogarts, Long-bars