PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Buddies twisted driveshaft at 110

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chevymec
Did something lock up to cause the failure? I wouldn't think it would break at that speed by itself unless it was alrady cracked for some reason.
He was spinning that thing to 7k and running above factory limits. Which is what the driveshaft was balanced for, stock, factory limits. It happens all the time
Old 12-26-2011, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ducky
He was spinning that thing to 7k and running above factory limits. Which is what the driveshaft was balanced for, stock, factory limits. It happens all the time
Lmao Did you consider that engine rpm's have nothing to do with driveshafts rotating speed. The 6900 is what it spiked to after it broke. Shift points are 6400
Old 12-26-2011, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bad00silverado
Lmao Did you consider that engine rpm's have nothing to do with driveshafts rotating speed.
In 3rd gear the transmission gearing is 1:1. Im guessing his converter wasnt locked but we will say it was just for fun. The driveshaft was spinning..... 6938rpm
Old 12-26-2011, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Reread what I posted.. That was not the rpm in which the driveshaft broke. That was fuel cut rpm. But I guess the factory driveshaft can't handle that and people like skeet who run stock driveshafts are on borrowed time, the fact of the truck bottoming out had no affect in breaking the ds?..
Old 12-26-2011, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

I had a 2000 RCSB and everytime i went over 100-110 it would vibrate like hell
Old 12-26-2011, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Reread what I posted.. That was not the rpm in which the driveshaft broke. That was fuel cut rpm.
All I saw was like five pictures posted with some words around them. "Where it broke" was in the middle of the output shaft picture and a picture of your laptop. So be more clear on which picture "where it was broke". PrtSC does print screen, instead of taking pictures of the screen.

But I guess the factory driveshaft can't handle that and people like skeet who run stock driveshafts are on borrowed time, the fact of the truck bottoming out had no affect in breaking the ds?..
Won't be able to tell one way or the other what caused, but ive seen the SAME twists in regular cab driveshafts and they never hit a bump. Ill stick to the idea that the factory driveshafts are not perfectly balanced from the factory, and so anything above the factory limits is on borrowed time unless re-balanced.

Originally Posted by Burgundy&TanMan
I had a 2000 RCSB and everytime i went over 100-110 it would vibrate like hell
I heard that hours before I had a friends driveshaft blow up on me while I was driving behind them
Old 12-26-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

Heck, with all that happening, where did the weeds grow out from?
Old 12-27-2011, 06:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Dude was lucky.. I've seen a dirt track car flip over front wards after dropping a driveshaft with no safety loop..
Old 12-27-2011, 07:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by chevymec
Did something lock up to cause the failure? I wouldn't think it would break at that speed by itself unless it was alrady cracked for some reason.
Hey brother! Good to see you over here!! How's NC been treatin ya?

Originally Posted by fastnnuffrt
We went over a bridge when it went and pretty sure bottomed out what caused it
Had to be something like that... there had to be damage done to it prior that compromised it's integrity. Good to see all are ok.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

No one will know for sure what caused the failure... however, running lower rear end gears will certainly spin the driveshaft faster than before and I believe you hit critical speed of the shaft. Critical speed is the max speed a shaft can spin before becoming unstable.

Quick Reply: Buddies twisted driveshaft at 110