PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Can't stay stock!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by custm2500
Explain to me why welding a ring of steel to a tube a steel of nearly the same diameter won't work. I am sure if I found 3/4 solid bar and made four rings no one would flinch. But re-purposing an old ring is not going to work.

I could understand if the rings were pitched and not level but they are perfect rings.

vicalma03
I don't want lowering springs because I haul a few different trailers and I want the truck to always be level. Also I want to improve the ride, not stiffen it up with drop coils.
HERE IS ALL THE EXPLANATION NEEDED
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...roject-477467/
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...ements-475174/
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo.../flame-470483/
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...brakes-470892/
Old 07-19-2011, 05:42 PM
On The Tree

Also welding spring steel to mild steel is a not advisable from what I've been told by welder.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:14 PM
TECH Regular

The minute you put heat to spring steel it's almost as brittle as pure cast (Unless you re-treat it, but it's a waste of time to explain that to you). That means when you hit a bump hard enough, ****'s going to break. But then again, reviewing all your previous work I'm surprised just you inbred hillbilly *** getting in the vehicle don't wreck ****. This is going to be another vehicle I'd gladly pull the plates off.

Last edited by blackcash; 07-19-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 07-19-2011, 07:04 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 07-19-2011, 07:12 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The minute you put heat to spring steel it's almost as brittle as pure cast (Unless you re-treat it, but it's a waste of time to explain that to you). [/QUOTE]

This is a reason to not to do what I was planning.

I know some about heat treating metal but I am not going to go through the hassle when there are much easier options.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:12 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok since you are actually considering this for real.. I must ask WHY NOT JUST DO IT RIGHT.. Not only will it be a safety issue, but you will have more time into it then just getting the things to do it rite.. A spring is not only flexible, but is also extremely hard, welding to it will more then likely affect the structural integrity of the metal..
Old 07-19-2011, 07:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TIM Z
This couldnt get better......., you used your custm throttle body for a custm airbag mount?????

holy ***.
lol been off the forum for a couple of months and i see nothing has changed in his hillbilly ways lol
Old 07-19-2011, 07:32 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
Ok since you are actually considering this for real.. I must ask WHY NOT JUST DO IT RIGHT.. Not only will it be a safety issue, but you will have more time into it then just getting the things to do it rite.. A spring is not only flexible, but is also extremely hard, welding to it will more then likely affect the structural integrity of the metal..
If spring steel could be welded(seemes like it can't) how would it not be right. The same ring was made my GM to locate the spring and expected to last 20+ years and millions of spring movements. So I am using the same ring to do the same job, the only differance is the fact that there is air bag between the coils and not more steel coils.

That is like saying a hook that is for a chain won't work as a hook for a nylon strap. The hook will still do the same job regardless of what is between(obviously with the same strength material).

If spring steel shouldn't be welded to then that is the deciding factor.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:08 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not just lower the springs the old fashion method. Get some Beer, Invited a few neighbors and friends over as the "leveling committee". Heat up the whole spring assy with the vehicles weight on it until the springs sags to the proper level using a torch with the biggest tip you got, using the a for-mentioned "leveling committee" to ensure she dont sag too much on one side or the other?

Quick Reply: Can't stay stock!