PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

A completely different kind of project.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I once made a sheet metal intake for a 1.5 in my 87 Honda civic to run a Holley 2bbl. Turned out pretty good I'd say. I had to do this cause no one made a intake to run a Holley 2bbl on a Honda engine. If could have bought one I would have.

Im not going to say your idea is not going to work,but is it worth the time a effort?

Couldn't you have the stock tb bored to almost the same size?
Old 02-13-2011, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow O.o

Please do continue!
Old 02-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

If you don't know the concept of an IAC, haven't studied a stock TB do replicate the theory, don't know the placement of it, what it does, how it works, how it coincides with tuning (even more vital to make a big cammed/cube) engine run properly... Have access to the equipment and knowledge of machining processes and the ability to make something down to within .0001" you shouldn't be building something that could potentially hang open and turn your already scab-job of a truck into a death trap and hurt someone who knows better than to build their own throttle body just to save $150...

All you're doing is making a fool of yourself and making tuning an already mechanically incorrect build even harder... Like I said before, no way in hell I would touch your truck with tuning software... The fact you are considering putting nitrous on it makes it almost comical... At least the engine may **** the bed before the truck breaks in half at the holes you cut in the frame for your side pipes...
Old 02-13-2011, 06:35 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the pics. Yes seems like a VERY poor design because the air really has to work to make it through the IAC.

I got thinking wile drywalling this afternoon and everyone is saying I will have all these idle issues due to the fact that the computer can't control an IAC. A carb never had a IAC and they idle just fine. You set the the idle speed and wala. Choke controlled cold idle but that was it.

I can understand the computer may get pissed off and that could cause a problem. I really still can't see the absence of the IAC causing any issues if the computer will get over it's self. I don't have power windows, no heat or A/C, brake lights and electric fan are the only two draws, power steering on the mechanical side.

Someone please go unplug your IAC and see what happens. I would guess they fail open so worse case if it is cold you may have to warm the motor up and it might idle slightly high. If someone would do this it would shed some light on what the computer will think with no IAC hooked up.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ok just tell anyone at the track your a member on this website, please!!!
Old 02-13-2011, 06:43 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
Have access to the equipment and knowledge of machining processes and the ability to make something down to within .0001".
The stock TB has a ******* hole in the blade. You really think the **** is built to .0001 tolerances. Your blindness only makes you look foolish.

You don't have to like my project or my ideas but you might want to not make your self look like an ignorant fool wile putting my plans down.

mhotrodscooter:
I have about 30 mins and might have $25(probably will be $0) at most rapped up into this project. I probably have another 30 min of finishing it up. I think it is certainly worth my time and effort to give it a shot.

The stock TB could not be bored close. It is only 75mm and the walls aren't very thick.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

haha. silver-mod-o has more knowledge about these trucks in the dirt under his finger nail than most people on this site. I hope your cut up sewer pipe tb works far ya.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:54 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Only recommendation I'll provide...don't remove the front brakes, upgrade them. Get the biggest, baddest rotors and calipers you can find. Because you're going to wish you had them if the throttle ever does get stuck open.

There are two facts/sayings that are pertinent here.

1) "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work" -Thomas Edison

2) "Don't reinvent the wheel." -everyone on the forum
Old 02-13-2011, 07:00 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Originally Posted by Nicksilverado
haha. silver-mod-o has more knowledge about these trucks in the dirt under his finger nail than most people on this site. I hope your cut up sewer pipe tb works far ya.
He may or may not know everything about these trucks but he sure looks like a dumbass saying that a TB is built to such tight tolerances when the stock one has a hole in the blade. I am pretty sure a microscopic imperfection on my blade and cylinder won't be an issue.

Last edited by custm2500; 02-13-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:01 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Just for reference since you have no clue about tuning. if you added up all the engine tables and setting in a standard gm tune. Abouy 1/2 would pertain to idle settings. Just a little fyi for you. Now do you really think the IAC sensor is just GM's idea of engine jewerly or what.

Quick Reply: A completely different kind of project.