PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

A completely different kind of project.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 07:02 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Gm engineered that hole in the tb blade and please dont call members profane names.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:28 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Please dont drive that truck in ohio.

Im not in the business of tearing people down, but please sit back and rethink what your doing.

I have two extra throttle bodies. You are welcome to one if you want. I really would hate to see yours fail and you hurt yourself or possibly my Family or friends on the road.

Now if you were machining one on a CNC that would be cool.

Hot roddding is about innovating and trying to gain speed/power with low cost as possible, but this is not hot rodding IMO.

Good luck.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
... On a side note, besides sitting still idling, or coasting with a closed throttle, there are a lot of rpm, throttle settings, and vehicle speeds that use the IAC to keep the engine running.
Originally Posted by custm2500
... A carb never had a IAC and they idle just fine. You set the the idle speed and wala. Choke controlled cold idle but that was it. ... I really still can't see the absence of the IAC causing any issues if the computer will get over it's self.
Someone please go unplug your IAC and see what happens. I would guess they fail open so worse case if it is cold you may have to warm the motor up and it might idle slightly high. ...
I didn't want to get into it when you compared a TB to a carb in your previous post, but here you go again. You remind of a rich guy sitting in on a meeting with a group of guys who are building a factory for him. They are well along in the building process, and you show up for the first time. Not knowing anything at all about building factories, you start asking questions, it's your right because you are paying for it. "Why do the cranes have AC motors, they used to have DC motors and didn't need frequency drives. I think DC motors are better." "Why do you have a water heater in every bathroom, wouldn't it be easier to put one giant one and pipe hot water everywhere?" "I don't understand your way, so it either gets done my way or somebody has to explain why I am wrong."
So of course the factory doesn't get finished on time, and you have to pay extra because each trade had to train you in their field. You should have just trusted from the beginning that they knew what they were doing, instead of coming in and telling them how it should be done, because you are the type of guy that would tell a tradesman, "Why do electricians charge so much, you just pull wires through pipes. Anybody with the right tools could do that". Or "Why do pipe fitters make so much, you just run pipes from point a to point b, anybody with a threading machine could do that".
So it's the same here. You open the hood of your truck, see something that you don't understand, and remove it because if you don't know how it works, it isn't needed. Then you come here and instead of asking questions, you start telling us how things are, and you tell us your ideas, and you are right because nobody is proving you wrong. Nobody has the energy to start from scratch with you, and when people try, you argue, draining more of our will to help. Don't you understand you are being like a little kid?

A carburetor is an entirely mechanical device based on the principal of the venturi effect. Air goes through the carb, and by venturi action draws fuel through the jets. More air draws more fuel.
Fuel injection is entirely electronic. Opening the throttle and letting more air in does not bring in more fuel, the computer adds more fuel when it measures more air. There is no single instance where the computer is not in control of the fuel.
In a carb, there are all kinds of devices that control the amount of fuel at idle and part throttle. Bleed jets that change the effect of airflow at different throttle settings, slots to change fuel flow with minute throttle adjustments, throttle cutaways, holes, etc.
Fuel injection has injector pulse width, and either IAC or electronic throttle control. The IAC makes constant adjustments to control the engine, and there is a pile of tables to tune in HP Tuners that pertain to idle airflow. 03sierraslt, me, and anybody else with cam that is about the same as yours, who have their own tuning programs, have been through hell trying to adjust these tables to make their vehicles drivable.
So please understand how we feel when you let us know that the most difficult part of making an EFI engine drivable "Isn't all that important".
I hoped opened your eyes, maybe even just a little.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeshow
Only recommendation I'll provide...don't remove the front brakes, upgrade them. Get the biggest, baddest rotors and calipers you can find. Because you're going to wish you had them if the throttle ever does get stuck open.

There are two facts/sayings that are pertinent here.

1) "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work" -Thomas Edison

2) "Don't reinvent the wheel." -everyone on the forum
this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 02-13-2011, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by custm2500
The stock TB has a ******* hole in the blade. You really think the **** is built to .0001 tolerances. Your blindness only makes you look foolish.
Yea it does. To give it more airflow at idle. They didnt accidentally put holes in them. And yes it probably is built to .0001 tolerances.

He isnt the one that looks foolish here.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:01 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Well put Mike. Much like you stated, I don't have the energy to get into all the details. Kinda hard to explain the tuning side of it to someone who doesn't tune. Its easy to simplify something into nothing however in the real world "Something" usually is there for a reason. A carb motor and a Fuel injected motor are two complete different animals, for someone to compare them is only going to make them more lost. Like Ive said before, at this point its like beating a dead horse so to speak.

Last edited by 03sierraslt; 02-13-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am about to build a straw frame for my truck and trade the air bags in for trash bags. Oh and and and build an exhaust system out of wood. think its a good idea guys?
Old 02-13-2011, 08:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Who needs a TB after all?

Old 02-13-2011, 08:20 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

This thread just keeps getting better and better. So where is the flux capacitor goin
Old 02-13-2011, 08:25 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
This thread just keeps getting better and better. So where is the flux capacitor goin
If you have to ask, you dont want to know.

Quick Reply: A completely different kind of project.