PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

A completely different kind of project.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well thats good that you are having it done right dont wanna see somebodys time and effort go down the drain cause of short cuts but thats my two cents
Old 02-17-2011, 09:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The welds were terrible from NOT CLEANING THE METAL. I see you ground down the frame, but the bracket looks like it is still all rusty. Welds are very porous, which means there are contaminants in the weld puddle. Not trying to be a dick, just trying to help u out for next time. And as far as the heads, they could use a little polishing with a finer grit, and some cleaning up here and there. The picture is pretty grainy, so it's hard to tell. I personally have only ported one head (the one on my truck) and it was the most time consuming, and pain in the dick thing I have ever done. Dunno if any of these guys have ever ported a head, but it is a whole lot harder than it looks lol.

I am not flaming anybody in this post, just trying to post some constructive criticism for the guy. Instead of just outright saying he sucks. Eventually the dude will just leave the site, and go somewhere else, where there isn't a 20 page thread blasting him, which is unfortunate. Everybody here has something to learn, even if you think you may know everything. Maybe this dude just needs someone more experienced to help him out, teach him some stuff, and not just bash his ****. Our trucks are our pride and joy, and I am sure this guy's is too.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:18 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BigRed:
Thanks for the info and helpfull tips.

The bracket was ground down too but I understand that obviously there was still contaminates in the weld so it wasn't as clean as it should have been. Again, I basicaly stood back and watched on that project. My friend agreed the welds weren't very good and we planned to grind them out compleatly and re-do them. After talking to a friend that explained that you should never weld suspensions brackets, because, they will brake the welds. That is when they got drilled and bolted.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:09 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by custm2500
I would skip welding because you should never weld suspension brackets because the vibration, and shock will break the welds weather they are good or bad.
Originally Posted by custm2500
BigRed:
After talking to a friend that explained that you should never weld suspensions brackets, because, they will brake the welds. That is when they got drilled and bolted.
That's horse manure!
Not sure who your friend is but he's wrong. A proper bead will always be stronger than any of the metal around it. Vibration malarkey or not. If your friend was taught that than he was taught wrong, if he learned it from experience than he's a bad welder.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:17 PM
Staging Lane

Bolting them will work just fine. Most suspension brackets are riveted on from the factory anyway. As long as you use Grade 8 hardware and use enough of them, you will have absolutely no problems. Using the factory holes in the bracket is a good way to do it. Spoolin is right though, If your weld breaks or cracks, then it was not a proper weld.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:48 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The hangers for half ton trucks are welded on from the factory so you may want to inform your friend he is wrong.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:39 AM
On The Tree

1hr plus to read. Very interesting read... A lot of information on what not to do, and overall got a few good laughs. Now very eager to see how this turns out. But my post in the ”I can't fabricate?” thread still stands.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:13 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
The hangers for half ton trucks are welded on from the factory so you may want to inform your friend he is wrong.
I personally have never seen a bracket welded in but i have to believe you are correct. The fact that every bracket I have ever looked at is bolted/riveted was enough evidence for me to agree with him. Obviously welding them in can be done and does work but for me I will always bolt them in.

Can you post a pic of the brackets you are talking about. I have see parts welded but on the shear point(vertically attached to the frame they are usually not welded). Again just curious because I have never seen anything welded from trucks to semis and everything in between.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:12 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey man, how long have you been welding? I do admire your ambition.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

I thought you said you weren't gonna post in here again till you were done?

Get done cause I'm tired of reading bullshit excuses for half assing everything.

Thread needs to be locked just so there is less talk and more half asses shtty pictures. Please.

Quick Reply: A completely different kind of project.