PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

A completely different kind of project.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 08:55 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as it stays civil we're keeping it open in hopes for a finished product If it gets out of hand the thread will be locked and warnings will be issued.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
The hangers for half ton trucks are welded on from the factory so you may want to inform your friend he is wrong.
Originally Posted by custm2500
I personally have never seen a bracket welded in but i have to believe you are correct. The fact that every bracket I have ever looked at is bolted/riveted was enough evidence for me to agree with him. Obviously welding them in can be done and does work but for me I will always bolt them in.

Can you post a pic of the brackets you are talking about. I have see parts welded but on the shear point(vertically attached to the frame they are usually not welded). Again just curious because I have never seen anything welded from trucks to semis and everything in between.
The crew cabs are the only 1500s have the welded hangers on the NBS trucks. But he may be referring to the NNBS 1500s as the ones that all have welded hangers, but I have no knowledge of those.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:20 AM
KickinAssAndTakinNames

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigRed Cummins
The welds were terrible from NOT CLEANING THE METAL. I see you ground down the frame, but the bracket looks like it is still all rusty. Welds are very porous, which means there are contaminants in the weld puddle.
when I mig, and get allot of porosity, its usually because oxygen is getting into the weld, either the wind blowing away the argon gas or letting the tip get too far away from the weld...

as to the subject at hand, i think we can all agree that a homemade TB is a terrible idea, but god damn give the man a break. He will figure it out eventually,
Old 02-18-2011, 11:23 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't intend to post but thought I was in my other thread when I did.

I have now been welding a about two years. Still learning and getting better but I would consider myself a decent welder. On a table with straight welds I can weld great generally. What I really continue to work on is curves, hard to reach spots, and other issues that make it difficult to lay a smooth bead.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by custm2500
I personally have never seen a bracket welded in but i have to believe you are correct. The fact that every bracket I have ever looked at is bolted/riveted was enough evidence for me to agree with him. Obviously welding them in can be done and does work but for me I will always bolt them in.

Can you post a pic of the brackets you are talking about. I have see parts welded but on the shear point(vertically attached to the frame they are usually not welded). Again just curious because I have never seen anything welded from trucks to semis and everything in between.
Originally Posted by AJII
The crew cabs are the only 1500s have the welded hangers on the NBS trucks. But he may be referring to the NNBS 1500s as the ones that all have welded hangers, but I have no knowledge of those.
I left out the crew cab part, I dont know about the NNBS trucks but the crew cab half tons have welded hangers. I dont have a pic of one but if I see a cc truck around in the next few days Ill snap a pic of it.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm a decent welder and I can do better than that and I have BARELY any experence lol
Old 02-18-2011, 11:43 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 08Chevy
I'm a decent welder and I can do better than that and I have BARELY any experence lol
You're SO awesome...
Old 02-18-2011, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DV2000NJ
You're SO awesome...
Thanks.

I'm just waiting for this finished product.

Sub'ed will be back when it fails
Old 02-18-2011, 12:30 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about some of you newer guys that are on this bash wagon, keep beating a dead horse, post new links to some of your own work, if you even do your own work.. Im not hugging this guys ballsac, I don't agree with some of his stuff, but were beating a dead horse here... So post up what you have done, let the site see
Old 02-18-2011, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

As critical as this site is, I am really surprised I didn't catch any flack about cleaning up my TBI casting and polishing the bores! That can be seen in my project post.

I agree with you John, if your not willing to put your stuff up for criticism, then you forfeit your right to bash.

Quick Reply: A completely different kind of project.