PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

A completely different kind of project.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 01:38 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

408 stroker made 52x hp with 243 heads, 13.3:1. I am using my 317s so compression should be around 12.5 and I am guessing 475-500 hp. Cam is 23x 24x nitrous specific.

Sounds like idle may be a bit harder to accomplish then I expected. Only time will tell.

Does anyone have a picture how the IAC is mounted on aftermarket TBs? Someone posted a pic and I can't see where the IAC is routed on it. Thanks

P.S. I live in NW ohio. The salt on the roads will be long gone before the truck is driven and I am not anywhere near the ocean.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:01 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Well since it looks like you are going to do this anyways migjt as well offer some advice. You will need to take apart a stock tb to measure the tolerances around the tb blade. Then you will need to get the tube of your machined so that it is perfectly round. The have the new blade machined to fit the tube matching the tolerances of the stock tb. Now the tricky part will be the rotating action. If the rod and blade are not perfectly centered it will stick. Also if the tolerances are not kept then you will have a gap that will allow air to pass througj which will cause a uncontrollable idle. Remember this is a precision peice keep up with those tolerances and it may some what work.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:06 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DV2000NJ
Because you know, there's no moisture in the air or anything...

In the six years Ive been on forums, Ive never ued or put anyone on my ignore list EXCEPT custm2500 for about a year now. I am so glad I opened this thread and temporarily unblocked his posts, lmao!!
Old 02-13-2011, 02:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

Here is the best picture I have of how the Idle Air Control is mounted on a F.A.S.T. 102 mm TB. If you have the ability to machine a mount for it, I'd like to suggest that you feed it with no less than 1/2" inner diameter pipe or tubing, that is how much air flows through it. Maybe you could utilize a plumbing tee, with tubes coming off the runs, and the IAC adapted somehow in the branch, acting as a mini throttle. The tubes would of course go into holes on your TB, one on each side of the closed butterfly.
On a side note, besides sitting still idling, or coasting with a closed throttle, there are a lot of rpm, throttle settings, and vehicle speeds that use the IAC to keep the engine running.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:32 PM
SPAM HUNTER

Originally Posted by custm2500
P.S. I live in NW ohio. The salt on the roads will be long gone before the truck is driven and I am not anywhere near the ocean.
Thanks now i can send picture of your death trap to my sister (who also lives in nw ohio) and tell her if she sees it to go the other way. Wouldn't want her and my 2 nieces to be killed by a shoulda been sock rocket like you.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:39 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You guys should know that the throttle shaft is actually supposed to be off center. Also, the throttle blades are not perfectly round. They are elliptical, sort of. If someone has one laying around, take a close look at it & you will see what I mean. If you take the throttle blade out, then try to put it in backwards or upside down, it won't fit.

That said, I think this is a terrible idea.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

my reaction to just about every post in this thread was either:

OR

Old 02-13-2011, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
If you have the ability to machine a mount for it, I'd like to suggest that you feed it with no less than 1/2" inner diameter pipe or tubing, that is how much air flows through it.
There is a socket welded to the side of a hunk of steel, I doubt he has the ability to machine anything. Did you see the backup camera mount, I posted it as a reference for a reason. He believes the cuts are straight on that thing. Thats what kind of precision work thats going on here. I know someone else cut this piece of tubing for him, his cuts would have never been this straight, or it would have been cut with a torch like his frame was. Thinking you can do something and having the ability to actually do it are two different things.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:03 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
Here is the best picture I have of how the Idle Air Control is mounted on a F.A.S.T. 102 mm TB. If you have the ability to machine a mount for it, I'd like to suggest that you feed it with no less than 1/2" inner diameter pipe or tubing, that is how much air flows through it. Maybe you could utilize a plumbing tee, with tubes coming off the runs, and the IAC adapted somehow in the branch, acting as a mini throttle. The tubes would of course go into holes on your TB, one on each side of the closed butterfly.
On a side note, besides sitting still idling, or coasting with a closed throttle, there are a lot of rpm, throttle settings, and vehicle speeds that use the IAC to keep the engine running.

Where does the IAC pick up its air from? On the stock body it is on the face. On the few bore pics of TBs I don't see any holes before the throttle blade so I am curious if it just has a hole in the side of the bore or is there a small scoop to send air up to the IAC?
Old 02-13-2011, 03:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

Here are the holes before I hogged them out as much as I could to get enough air through the IAC. This is a very poor design.

Quick Reply: A completely different kind of project.