PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

CTTAndy's Suburban Work Truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 10:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't want the vortec heads, just the vortec block. It is a better block and rotating assembly then the TBI. I would like to get a roller cam in it while I am at it. If push comes to shove, I will rebuild a TBI block.

Like I said above, I really don't think I am getting 27 MPG out of the thing, but 23-25MPG would be a good estimate.

As far as a cam, I might just stick with the stock vortec cam and see what it does.

I am still driving the truck, it just sounds like a steam engine at idle.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stock vortec cam should work good. Actually I've seen some guys on FSC prefer the TBI block for building strokers. I think the cylinders are supposed to be taller? The Late TBI blocks should be able to accept a factory roller cam no problem if you have all the stock parts needed IIRC. Not saying the vortec block is bad, just the tbi block isn't that bad either.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

Not all TBI blocks are roller blocks. I also don't want to rebuild my motor and have my truck down that much longer.

Who knows what I will do in the end. Money is tight and something has to be done.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

I made some progress on my old brown truck today. I have to get this truck finished and sold before I can do anymore to my suburban. My wife had gotten a little carried away some time ago showing off for a friend and snapped some bolts that hold the accessory mounting plate to the engine. I had to pull all the mounts off to get to the bolts, then drill them out, tap them, new bolts, etc etc.

Now that I have it running again without any scream drive belts, I need to get a better driver side door, new gas tank, and fix a leak from the rear axle cover.

Here is a couple of clips from tonight. Full 3 inch single exhaust, Magnaflow convertor, with the smallest Cherrybomb vortex they make. The whole thing has about 40,000 miles on it now. Sound better now then it did then. No drone, but still plenty loud out the back. Has to be my favorite exhaust setup I have done on one of my trucks.

http://youtu.be/uROmYmDlqfg
http://youtu.be/evjAKJA_oa0

For those that aren't aware, you really can't make a stock TBI 350 sound as good as most other engines. Something about the way it idles just doesn't sound as good. I think my truck sounds pretty respectable for what it is.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

Fuel mileage has been dropping like a rock, then the transmission started acting funny. It quickly got to the point it really wasn't drivable. Took it to my buddies shop and hooked it up to the computer, EGR showing errors and the TPS not reading right. Swapped them out today and she is purring like a kitten. Driving great, but still knocking.

I got the front end of my old brown truck back together. I need to get the front bumper level, but all in all, not bad.

before wrecked

Last edited by cttandy; 04-30-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:14 AM
TECH Addict

The suburban got a new tailgate gasket set, new windshield wiper motor controller, and front door hinge pins on both sides. The body shop broke the drivers mirror replacing the pins so they have ordered a new one for me.

The motor still sounds like it is going to fly apart, but at least I can drive in the rain, see, and stay dry all at the same time.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cttandy
I don't want the vortec heads, just the vortec block. It is a better block and rotating assembly then the TBI. I would like to get a roller cam in it while I am at it. If push comes to shove, I will rebuild a TBI block.
Long time lurker, first time poster ... love your thread. I've got a 95 TBI Tahoe that I've done a Vortec top end swap on, just love it, will step up to a LS based drive train someday ...

Just wanted to point out there is NO coolant bypass in the Vortec block where as a 95ish 'TBI' roller block would have one ... might be a big deal to you but thought it was worth mentioning anyways. Keep up the good work man.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

As of right now, I am hoping to tied my time and save my money and maybe stick 4.8/5.3/6.0 in it down the road. As long as I keep thick oil in it, it doesn't seem to thrash to bad.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

The storm last night attacked my poor suburban.

Dent in the hood, hard to see in the picture

Dent in the Quarter panel, isn't really visible in this picture though

Dents in the drivers door

Scratched the length of the door edge from roughly the door handle down.

Wasn't there when I drove it home yesterday evening. There was tree limbs all over the truck this morning. I had to wash the truck to really see what was there.

Last edited by cttandy; 05-26-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dont feel too bad you got it easy, my truck looks like a ******* golf ball now .. Hail about half again as big as a golf ball and bigger...

house and both cars got hosed, including our 2 month old Subaru

Quick Reply: CTTAndy's Suburban Work Truck