PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

CTTAndy's Suburban Work Truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skyhighsami
Get the body moulding like I did on Stacey's when I pulled the roof rack
That won't fix the paint where the guy refused to paint it. It also won't fill the holes where the rubber ribs in the center are attached.

We are going to cover it in vinyl until I can afford to have the whole truck repainted right.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

Haven't updated this in a long time. I am driving the truck every day. Over all it is a fantastically comfortable vehicle to drive.

The edelbrock intake is causing some driveability problems. It doesn't want to idle right. The truck is breaking a whopping 18 MPG, not sure why, we can't find anything wrong. It has been this way since I replace the EGR valve.

The truck is leaking a quart of oil every 100 miles, and has a fairly noticeable knock in the lower end. Working my way through a 5.3L swap in a 84 s-10 right now, once I am done, hoping to shove a 6.0L in the suburban. The suburban is in serious need of some *****.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

I purchased the contents of a storage unit (yes, storage war kinda thing, but no auction). We already knew what was in it and had a guaranteed price. We got everything moved, and I noticed that my starter was making a strange noise. Going down the road I noticed there was a knock underload but not at idle. We made out last stop to unload everything, walked over jumped in the truck and spinning starter but no spinning engine. I don't know if the flywheel broke or our last minute patched together starter decided to fly apart after 8 months of use.

My buddy had the trailer hooked to his truck. We tied my tow strap to the back ot the trailer, then hooked the other end to one of the tow hooks on the suburban. We then dragged the suburban out of the storage facility and a block up the road to a friends parking lot at his office. I can't believe we made it that far tied to the trailer. It is highly not recommended. Would couldn't leave the trailer, and we couldn't leave the truck, didn't have much of a choice.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cttandy
Haven't updated this in a long time. I am driving the truck every day. Over all it is a fantastically comfortable vehicle to drive.

The edelbrock intake is causing some driveability problems. It doesn't want to idle right. The truck is breaking a whopping 18 MPG, not sure why, we can't find anything wrong. It has been this way since I replace the EGR valve.

The truck is leaking a quart of oil every 100 miles, and has a fairly noticeable knock in the lower end. Working my way through a 5.3L swap in a 84 s-10 right now, once I am done, hoping to shove a 6.0L in the suburban. The suburban is in serious need of some *****.
carb intake with TBI adapter or TBI intake. I seem to remember guys on FSC commenting about how the studs on the tbi adapter plate to a carb intake wouldn't let it set all the way down on the intake and gave it a vacuum leak. May be something to look at if it idles crappy and has mileage drop? I would be ecstatic with 18mpg in a 4x4 suburban though.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by offroadrider12
carb intake with TBI adapter or TBI intake. I seem to remember guys on FSC commenting about how the studs on the tbi adapter plate to a carb intake wouldn't let it set all the way down on the intake and gave it a vacuum leak. May be something to look at if it idles crappy and has mileage drop? I would be ecstatic with 18mpg in a 4x4 suburban though.
I am not running an adapted carb intake, I am running a Edelbrock TBI Performer. It is a direct swap with no adaptors needed.

I would say there is an issue related to the tuning of the ECM. Since my truck, is a 94 it is the one year that is MEGA difficult to tune. Just my luck huh.

Last edited by cttandy; 09-01-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

My brother came up to visit, we took some pic's of the twins together.

His is a 94 WT Chevy K2500 454/4L80E. His has carpet, barn doors and no rear heat. Other then that, they are pretty similar.

These are from my phone

I purchased the contents of a storage unit. We were sorting through some of it.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

I am thinking about painting my bumpers black. IF I do they will even be harder to tell apart.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

My first upgrade in quite awhile.

I have been wanting a hands free bluetooth setup my truck. I have been researching and couldn't decide which one I wanted to go with. I saw on ad on craigslist a few weeks back for a new Motorola still in the box for $40. Looked the model number up, and I liked the spec's. We have been texting and never had a chance to meet. Finally, he called me this afternoon to say he was going to be near by.

I opened the box, and it was all new. Not sure what I was really expecting, but it really surprised me how small everything was. It looked much bigger online.

I installed it. Sorry, no install pics. The control attaches with tape, I ran the wiring through the seam between panels. The microphone comes with a few different clips and what not. I attached one of the large clips to the headliner over the rearview mirror and hide the wire behind the trim. I mounted the speaker to the heater vent somewhat tucked behind the cup holder so it wouldn't really be noticed. Only 3 electrical connects needed, ground, constant, and switched.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

OK guys, back to this truck. Sold my S-10, but kept the engine/transmission/etc. So, now we get to put a 5.3L in this thing. The motor is finally toast and not going to take it anymore.

The transmission I have with the 5.3L is a 2wd 4L60E, and I need a 4WD. The suburban is a 94, so it does have a 4L60E already, but I would rather do it right the first time.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

y not just swap the bellhousings and converters? easy fix on a budget IMO. That is permitting that the existing trans is in good shape.

Quick Reply: CTTAndy's Suburban Work Truck