PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

CTTAndy's Suburban Work Truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 03:52 PM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would only go with 285/70's

Whats the deal with the 35's im close??
Old 01-29-2011, 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew383
I would only go with 285/70's

Whats the deal with the 35's im close??
I will text you about my tires.

Like I said, it depends on what I can find when I am ready.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:07 PM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is 285's on mine with stock wheels

Really i dont think i would go much wider than 285 on the stock wheels.When i sold my 285's i got a set of 255/75/17 and it made the truck alot faster lol
Old 01-29-2011, 05:12 PM
TECH Addict

I found a custom set of wheels, hoping to hear back from the guy
Old 01-29-2011, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by andrew383
Here is 285's on mine with stock wheels

Really i dont think i would go much wider than 285 on the stock wheels.When i sold my 285's i got a set of 255/75/17 and it made the truck alot faster lol
I put a set of 285's on a buddies 99 classic 2500 454 4x4 truck. He had no issues after only slightly clearancing the inner lower lip of the fender on the side of the cab, the exact same thing I had to do to my truck for the big tires. His doesn't rub at all. The clearancing was more for peace of mine then anything.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:27 AM
TECH Addict

Old 01-30-2011, 12:42 AM
TECH Addict

I started to rebuild my TBI today. I am going to do some mods to it while I have it apart.

Pretty clean under the hood. What you see, is the dust from the body shop on everything.

No wonder these things suffer for air

Whoops, this plug fell apart. I am going to have to find another one and fix it while I have everything apart.

Sitting on the bench

Torn down

I started using that weird bit in the dremel that chews up stuff. I have seen several other guys on FSC use it, but quite frankly after getting through one side, it was nasty look and taking for ever. Some of my Dad's wood tools are in my shop so I dug this dremel thing out and use it. I took the support off the side and worked the base plate back and forth until it was all level.

took about 5 minutes with this thing.

Then I took the hand held dremel and shaped the bowl in the bores.

That is were I stopped to take the wife out to a movie. I will pick back up tomorrow and see what I can get done.

I am going to take it back to the big dremel now that the bores are shaped and "mill" the top of the base flat. I will then lightly sand everything smooth and polish the bores. I want the bores to look like a mirror when I am done.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

Good enough for me.

Oreilly's didn't get me a rebuild kit, they got me a gasket kit. The can't get one for 2 days, so guess I am done for now. I also have an injector pod spacer on order.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:03 PM
TECH Addict

I ran the bottom of the TBI base across the dremel sander. I wanted to just clean it up, but when I flipped it back over I noticed that bottom the base was no where near flat. I kept running the base over the until all the gasket material was gone. I am wondering if maybe that isn't why these truck aren't plagued with TBI to intake gasket problems.

All 4 screws that hold the butterflies in broke. I just ground them flat so I could pull the rod out of the base. I am going to go to fastenal tomorrow and get some small screws and a matching tap. I am going to have to use the drill press a the office to drill out the old screws. I tried with a drill here at the house and I can't get the holes centered.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

Well, when I tore down the TBI, I snapped all 4 bolts off on the throttle rod trying to remove the butterfly valves. I tried to drill them out in the dark and ended up drilling them all crooked despite trying to give myself every safety I could think of, short of light. I had a buddy weld them back in, and then I attempted to grind it back smooth, drill and tap new holes. All the heat warps the throttle rod and the valves are no where near level. Rather then put it back together and have potential problems, I ordered another rebuildable TBI.

I have a junk TBI at the house, I am going to see if I can get the bolts out of it without breaking them. If I can, then that is how I will take the new TBI apart and swap the rod over the old TBI. If I can't, then I will just machine the new TBI without tearing it down.

I guess this is what I get for being totally impatient and trying to do stuff without proper lighting.

Thankfully, the rebuildable TBI is only costing me $40.

Quick Reply: CTTAndy's Suburban Work Truck