PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

CTTAndy's Suburban Work Truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it does, there might be a problem somewhere else. LOL.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

I have seen some wheels sitting out in front of a used tire shop for about 2 weeks. Stopped in and talked to him this morning. Went back talked to them this afternoon. No pics, but they are 16x10 Welds I believe. Got him down to $200 on them. He thinks he can put together 2 pairs of 285's to go on them for me. At least I will be able to get them on the Burb, figure out what I need from there.

Not mine, but they look like this

Last edited by cttandy; 02-07-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:17 PM
TECH Addict

This is more of what I would like to find eventually. I think it is classy.

Yes, I realize it's a stock wheel
Old 02-09-2011, 11:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by cttandy
They say the factory breather assembly limits air flow down to 430 CFM. I don't think that will be an issue now.
the stock motor isn't really pulling more than that either though. Looks cool though
Old 02-10-2011, 12:16 AM
TECH Addict

Well, it has been dyno proven otherwise. Also, if you run calculate all the numbers, the stock 350 needs around 500 CFM to function optimally.

And I just modified the TBI to flow 530CFM, why would I want to restrict that by 100CFM.

And before anything is said, driving this truck before and after feels different. Also going from truck to truck feels different. Remember I have 2 nearly mechanical identical trucks and have owned several of these. No, I haven't gained a mysterious 100HP, but the way the truck drives and feels is completely different. It revs freer and pulls harder at lower RPM.

These TBI trucks really respond to very basic modifications just like a carberated vehicle will.

Call me weird, but I think the stock air cleaner looks really cool. I mean the engine has a smooth clean all black appearance. This was a cheap quick fix.

I will be getting a TBI/Intake spacer then going to a thinner breather, but keeping the breather base I have here.

Last edited by cttandy; 02-10-2011 at 12:22 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

Ok, so I got another starter. Got that installed, started installing the new wire looms and notice the wires weren't in the right order on the distributor. Got to looking and the distributor was pointed the wrong way. Pulled the distributor, set it back in the right, position found TDC, reinstalled the cap, reinstalled the wires, set the timing, and took it for a drive. It was still loading up. So I brought it back, installed another TPS and took it for a spin. The truck drove perfectly. Bring it back home, and it won't idle. I thought it was the damaged IAC plug, so I installed the new one. It still won't idle.

Not sure what is going on. Rebuilt the TBI, replaced the IAC and TPS. I have rechecked the timing with and without the electronic advanced connected. Scratching my head.

It has been doing this since I bought it. This was why I rebuilt the TBI in the first place.

Here is a video of what is going on.

Last edited by cttandy; 02-14-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

Took the truck down to a buddies shop today. We put it on the computer and let it idle. The 02 readings never changed, locked in at like 1100 or something like that. All the other numbers started dancing around trying to get A/F right. We ordered a new O2, but the one in it was rusted in place.

We unhooked the O2 and the truck runs great.

I had already planned on replacing the O2 when I replaced the Y-pipe, so I guess I will get the new magnaflow Y w/cat ordered, and get the shorty stainless steel headers (AKA - manifold replacements) ordered as well.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:30 AM
no title here

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cttandy
Call me weird.
Weird
Old 02-15-2011, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by skyhighsami
Weird
Old 02-15-2011, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

I was going to head on out to my afternoon service call and the oil pressure dropped from 45-50 PSI at idle down to about 10PSI. I was within a half mile of my buddies shop so I spun around and went to his shop. We found the transmission COVERED in oil, along with most of the undercarriage. The search for a source found us looking at the base of the distributor. So we pulled the DIS out to find, that whoever did whatever work was done to this truck before I got it, stacked the replacement DIS gasket on top of half the original DIS gasket. Clean all that mess off and installed a new gasket. No more oil leak. Topped of the oil and back to 45PSI at idle.

Quick Reply: CTTAndy's Suburban Work Truck