PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

CTTAndy's Suburban Work Truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
I'll bet that you see bigger gains on a sbc than we do on our GENIII's
I'll let you know what the butt dyno says.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:20 PM
TECH Addict

Had some time, and I got my hitch and tow hooks installed. Nothing particularly hard. Only took 15 minutes for me to get it on by myself using a floor jack.

This came while I was out there

Looks like a nice piece. Hopefully my headers get here pretty quick and I can get it all put on.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:02 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clean looking y-pipe, you can't beat Magnaflow quality for the price
Old 02-19-2011, 11:52 PM
TECH Addict

Clean looking y-pipe, you can't beat Magnaflow quality for the price
I knew it would be nice for the money, but I didn't expect the thing to be polished like that. Makes me feel a little better about investing $220 in the thing.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:26 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$220's not bad really, I'll bet that the factory piece costs a lot more than that
Old 02-20-2011, 12:35 AM
TECH Addict

$220's not bad really, I'll bet that the factory piece costs a lot more than that
If I shopped around, I probably could have gotten a better price. I have found that in the over scheme of things, it is best just to stick with Summit Racing. They are easiest to deal with. Plus, I like those Summit Bucks!

Probably so, the stock Y doesn't have pipes as large as this, the O2 is rusted in place, and someone hacked it up pretty good eliminating the cat.

I also liked the fact that the Y is made with the cat. Unlike the stock piece that has the 2 pipes disfigured and merged into one pipe.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:33 AM
On The Tree

yeah mine are ~350 shipped from Magnaflow, but the 96-99s have 2 cats and moar piping

trucks looking well as always Andy, keep us informed on the shorties, I got some headers coming soon as well, pretty excited on both our accounts
Old 02-20-2011, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks guys

I am going to have to keep an eye on it. I lost oil pressure the other day, right before we found the distributor gasket leaking badly. So we replaced the gasket, but I can't remember if we checked the oil again or not. I am pretty sure we forgot. I hope, because 200 miles later I am 2.5 quarts of oil low.

The truck isn't smoking, but there is oil on the top of the transmission and down the back of the block. I pulled one of the spark plugs out of the back of the motor and it had oil on it. It didn't have a lot, so I am not sure if that means there was oil sitting on it when I pulled it out, or if the head gasket is leaking like these TBI trucks are known to do. If it is in fact the head gasket, the whole motor will be coming out. The PO said he just had head gaskets installed, seems to me there might be something else going on causing it.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

A bad distributor gasket will leak pretty significantly, enough to cause the oil everywhere you described. If your head gasket was bad, it's a pretty theatrical affair, with smoke and misfiring, dirty coolant and nasty oil, so I don't think it's that. Check your rear main seal too, see how it looks. As to oil on the plugs, just see where the oil is on the threads. Does it go all the way down to where the plug sits in the chamber, or does it stop before the carbon line on the plug threads where it enters the chamber? (if thats clear enough lol) If it stops, usually that means oil got from the outside of the plug and leached on down the threads.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by meangreenburban
A bad distributor gasket will leak pretty significantly, enough to cause the oil everywhere you described. If your head gasket was bad, it's a pretty theatrical affair, with smoke and misfiring, dirty coolant and nasty oil, so I don't think it's that. Check your rear main seal too, see how it looks. As to oil on the plugs, just see where the oil is on the threads. Does it go all the way down to where the plug sits in the chamber, or does it stop before the carbon line on the plug threads where it enters the chamber? (if thats clear enough lol) If it stops, usually that means oil got from the outside of the plug and leached on down the threads.
TBI engines were somewhat prone to leak oil into the rear cylinders. No oil would appear anywhere else inside the engine. The plug was completely covered in oil, but that still doesn't necessarily mean that is what is going on here. I am going to clean around the back of the intake and drive it around and see if maybe that is where it is coming from. We have checked the valve covers, distributor gasket, and oil pressure sending unit. There is no oil on the intake. The oil is present on the TOP of the transmission,and the back of the block. I am pretty certain it is the rear intake seal.

Quick Reply: CTTAndy's Suburban Work Truck