PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

CTTAndy's Suburban Work Truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cttandy
TBI engines were somewhat prone to leak oil into the rear cylinders. No oil would appear anywhere else inside the engine. The plug was completely covered in oil, but that still doesn't necessarily mean that is what is going on here. I am going to clean around the back of the intake and drive it around and see if maybe that is where it is coming from. We have checked the valve covers, distributor gasket, and oil pressure sending unit. There is no oil on the intake. The oil is present on the TOP of the transmission,and the back of the block. I am pretty certain it is the rear intake seal.
wow I had no clue TBIs had that issue, sounds like a troublesome engine
Old 02-20-2011, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by meangreenburban
wow I had no clue TBIs had that issue, sounds like a troublesome engine
They have their quirks, but when they are right, they are right. My 89's motor has never been apart and has over 300K on it. My brother has a 91 with 550K on it.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

Another 125 miles, another quart or oil.

It definitely seems to be the rear intake gasket.

I have a friend that owes me a Edelbrock TBI performer intake. I am going to get it from him and put it on while I have it apart.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

Well, my buddy didn't have the intake anymore, but after some wheelin and dealin, I have one. So that will be going on in the next night or 2. My buddy did say he had a TBI spacer that he will bring me tomorrow. Looking forward to getting it together.

My headers should be here any day.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:49 AM
TECH Addict

The little brown man in the big brown truck just left.

Nice thick flanges!

No complaints for $120. Stainless Steel at that. Sure I could get better, but for the money spent, and fixing my exhaust leaks, I am happy.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:16 AM
TECH Addict

The edelbrock intake is installed, the headers are installed, the magnaflow Y is well, as installed as it can be. It wasn't bent right. The stock manifold on the drivers side exited at a 45 and the header exits at a 45, the Y comes up at a 90.

I am going to have to go down to a buddies shop and see if I can rebend the thing like it is supposed to be. So much for a mandel bent piece. It needs a very SLIGHT change so maybe it wont make any difference.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

I drove the suburban down to my buddies shop tonight so I can attempt to fix that pipe tomorrow. I wanted to leave it at the shop tonight so I wasn't working on a hot pipe tomorrow. It drives completely different. It maintained 55mph at an easy 1200 RPM, and I never had to break 1500 RPM. I didn't want to dip into the throttle anymore then I had to with the exhaust leak. The truck feels far stronger then it did before. The idle is silky smooth. The power comes in smooth. I am definite I got my problems sorted out now.

Can't wait to get it done and put some miles on it. I curious to see what the fuel mileage will be.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Well, we manged to fix the Y pipe with 3 slight well placed bends. Not enough to crimp the pipe. Got it back together and it still has a leak. Messed with it until we saw that it was leaking above the 2 center ports between the head and the header. Tired to tighten it up, but the cheap bolts that came with the headers do not inspire confidence. I got a set of quality header bolts that I am going to swap out, but just to lazy to get out there and do it.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

I replaced the bolts tonight and got it to seal up, but apparently damaged one of the gaskets because it blew out a chunk. New gaskets now!
Old 03-03-2011, 11:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cttandy
I replaced the bolts tonight and got it to seal up, but apparently damaged one of the gaskets because it blew out a chunk. New gaskets now!
Get OEM TBI exhaust manifold gaskets, they're some of the best sealing out there.

Quick Reply: CTTAndy's Suburban Work Truck