PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

El Bandito

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2020, 09:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,271 Likes on 970 Posts

So I know of 5 grounds that I have done properly.

1. Starter, I thought one of those wires was a ground? Maybe not though
2.There is one coming from the back of the block to the frame the braided cable pretty sure that is the engine ground?
3.I have one random one on the passenger side coming out the harness I have it grounded to a cylinder head in the back
4.I have the ground that is coming from the harness at the bottom of the harness in front of the block grounded to the same spot
5. Negative battery cable grounded

Not sure what I’d be missing after that but I am with certainty that those 5 are all good.

Also alternator ground forgot about that one

Last edited by shakenfake; 11-04-2020 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-04-2020, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 379 Likes on 291 Posts

After I did my motor swap, I ran these grounds-

Battery to frame immediately below battery
Frame to block
Pass head to drivers head
Firewall to drivers head

There was another up by the drivers side fog light, but I can't remember the details on that one.
Old 11-04-2020, 10:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Just took a recording of me starting the truck up to show my problems a bit. I’ll have it up later tonight. I forgot to mention I have no motion in my fuel gauge at all as well
Old 11-04-2020, 02:28 PM
TECH Veteran

I think I already mentioned my fuel gauge doesn’t work either but oh well

That is the truck starting. Sounds like *** I know I am hoping it will be driveable by Monday but I don’t know
Old 11-04-2020, 10:54 PM
100% Redneck

Received 1,334 Likes on 794 Posts

Hey sounds good to me. re- check the connectors around and under the engine fuse block. I forgot a blue plug under the block and my fuel gauge didn't work.

Originally Posted by wretched73
After I did my motor swap, I ran these grounds... There was another up by the drivers side fog light, but I can't remember the details on that one.
The headlamp harness has a ground that screws into the radiator support on the left (drivers) side.
Old 11-04-2020, 11:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by RedXray
Hey sounds good to me. re- check the connectors around and under the engine fuse block. I forgot a blue plug under the block and my fuel gauge didn't work.

The headlamp harness has a ground that screws into the radiator support on the left (drivers) side.
Tomorrow I plan on taking a short video of me talking and showing all the grounds I have run, would appreciate it if some of yall took a look and let me know if you think I could be missing any.

Blue plug under the engine fuse block? hmmm I will look for that
Old 11-05-2020, 12:29 PM
TECH Veteran

This is all the ground points that I have I may have missed something but pretty sure I covered everything let me know what you think
Old 11-05-2020, 08:54 PM
100% Redneck

I don't have anything connected to that firewall stud either. It has an empty tab just like yours... why I don't know.

On the rear where you said the ground connects to the head... that ground actually is on the block with a vertical bolt down to the block. It shouldn't really matter IMO. but the correct way is on the block as you can see on the diagram below with the #1 wire. Number 8 is for vehicles with a battery mounted behind the coolant reservoir so disregard #8. The second pic shows a smaller ground that's piggybacked off of the main battery ground.

El Bandito-2uvo0cr.jpg

El Bandito-nlsotiy.jpg
Old 11-06-2020, 12:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Truck is kill.

Back to not running again. Dropped my battery off to get it charged and tested because it is having bad battery symptoms. Truck ran earlier today but then when I went to start it tonight it did not run at all. I'll pick the battery back up tomorrow and see if it is any good.

I did tighten the ground on the back of the block because it was a bit loose to see if that would do something, nothing.
I also moved the negative battery ground from the head onto the power steering pump bracket and I think that it is better than the head, still nothing.

Currently I am a one man work force with my think tank father having a blown out knee this weekend I have an uncle coming into town and we will try and see if we can figure it out. If this proves no avail I will trailer it south and see what I can do at my uncle's transmission shop. My other uncle has done this swap before and he will be able to help and his mechanics who may have some better input. Don't like doing that but at least I am still there to learn, work and watch rather than send it to a shop and have someone else do it without me being there and having a hand in it.

Also may have figured out the problem with my auto headlights and gauge cluster, I'd tell you but don't want to jinx it. Fingers are crossed
Old 11-06-2020, 02:16 PM
100% Redneck

The negative battery cable has a place on the block piggybacked to a smaller ground. See last pic I posted above... look at the number 5 & 4 wire. Ground is ground but that is the correct battery grounding place on the block.

Quick Reply: El Bandito