PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

El Bandito

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 06:34 PM
100% Redneck

Received 1,334 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by shakenfake
How do I post a log?
You "save as" and rename log file to what ever helps you remember like xxxx 5-4-21 (( xxx = maybe "drive to store" or "MAF scaling" or "added timing" or what ever you were messing with in the tune etc)) then click the manage attachments link below then upload
Old 05-04-2021, 06:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,276 Likes on 973 Posts

I think that should work
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
5-4-2021 Driving to Work.hpl (928.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: hpt
Old 05-04-2021, 07:43 PM
100% Redneck

I think that should work
Yeah you got it.

You're not logging knock retard. You have to add it to the channels (PIDS) on the left side of the VCM scanner screen. It will only log those items in the "channels" list.

On the right side of the VCM scanner screen you have "Graph" "Chart VS Time" and "Gauges" (which either can be added or removed in the "layout" tab in the menu. Knock Retard can be viewed on any of those three but "chart vs time" is easy to see and compare with throttle position.

I'm attaching my "channel configs" and "layout" below so you can get some KR logging. Remember the file you attached above did not log Knock Retard so it's not going to help.

To add the channel config file I uploaded go to Documents > HP Tuners > VCM Scanner > Channel Configs > then drop that "reds channel configs" file in that folder.

To add the Layout file go to Documents > HP Tuners > VCM Scanner > Layouts > then drop that reds layout" file in that folder.

Open your VCM Scanner software and close any log file that may be open (log file > close) now look for the picture of a folder with a gear on it under "channels" > Open Channel Config > and you should see "reds channel configs" open that and you'll see the channels populate including "Knock Retard".

Click on "Layout" > Open Layout > open reds layout > now you will see a list in the center of the screen showing multiple entries including "Knock Retard"

Now it's time to get another driving log file. Log normal driving for awhile then making sure you are in a safe area... get a couple wide open pulls like in second or third gear so you don't have to drive at an excessive speed.

Make sure my channel list is showing on the screen along with my layout before starting to log or it won't record KR.
Attached Files
File Type: xml
Reds Layout.Layout.xml (9.2 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by RedXray; 05-04-2021 at 07:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dantheman1540 (05-05-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 08:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Fack I am retard

I thought it would show KR* on the graph though? That code is gone so that's good not too too worried about knock anymore haha

When you say 2nd gear you mean put in manually in 2 correct? Should I shift it to 3 or just leave it at 2? Sorry that is like my least knowledgeable part of these trucks is the shifting and transmission stuff.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:31 PM
100% Redneck

Fack I am retard

I thought it would show KR* on the graph though? That code is gone so that's good not too too worried about knock anymore haha

When you say 2nd gear you mean put in manually in 2 correct? Should I shift it to 3 or just leave it at 2? Sorry that is like my least knowledgeable part of these trucks is the shifting and transmission stuff.
Yeah any way you can comfortably and safely get a wide open pull near redline. On the hwy you can stomp it and let it down shift automatically or from a stop just keep it in 2nd and when it gets near the redline shift up or just slow down etc.

The VATS is not turned off.... Open VCM editor > System (fan icon) > General > Security > VATS > none

PE looks good except I'd raise the 2000 RPM delay to around 3000. I'd lower the Throttle "Cold" table down around maybe 60%

VCM Editor > Engine > Fuel > Power Enrich >>>> then you'll see the RPM Delay and the throttle COLD table

After you make changes (like above) "Save File As" then name something like "PE change & VATS 5-4-21"
Then flash the PCM "write calibration" and you'll see it do it's thing!

Last edited by RedXray; 05-04-2021 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Red do you see any reason why my evap system is not ready/incomplete? I can't really figure out why it is like that.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 781 Likes on 571 Posts

I want to say the evap test only comes ready after so many miles/key cycles. There was someone else with a post about it a few months back, I could be wrong tho. I replaced all my evap stuff recently because fill-ups were a pain but I never got an engine light, just the occasional "tighten gas cap" message.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Right before I got the truck we had a leaky evap canister throwing codes all day long and my dad replaced it and got all the evap stuff back. Cost over $1k and it still wasn’t ready when he took it for inspection cause I found that inspection from 2017. Evap is retarded
Old 05-05-2021, 07:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 781 Likes on 571 Posts

$1k in evap stuff whoa whoa whoa, you need to start looking at rock auto and the Amazon. I just checked my Amazon order and I got the Canister for $107 and the solenoid for $17. Unless there's some other part that's super expensive.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Hit with that labor cost. This was at a time where I wasn’t interested and my dad was too busy

edit: also there was some other stuff can’t remember what but all related

Quick Reply: El Bandito