PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

El Bandito

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 08:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,276 Likes on 973 Posts

So there is like a brown stain on my head but it is very far forward so I can't imagine that is it, doesn't seem like it would travel that far. Tonight I'll stick my hand back by my cam sensor and show you what comes out. It is not brown like oil should be though it is super dirty and greasy. I may be able to snap a photo but I am not sure. Need to get one of those snake things.
Old 09-14-2021, 08:57 AM
Teching In

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wretched73
Just buy me a drink first

And I would recommend making friends with someone who does body work on the side. That's always how I found someone to do my stuff and it saves me a lot of money because they don't have to account for shop overhead. They spray outside or in a make shift booth so the quality is not show car but again, none of my stuff has been show car material

Previously I would be skeptical of that but recently I have seen a couple of paint jobs done outside of a booth by someone doing it on the side that looked phenomenal.

My only concern would be will it last?
Old 09-14-2021, 08:59 AM
TECH Veteran

I agree I am not sure how long it would last, I'm sure it would though. It just would require proper care of the paint. After I get it painted the truck would probably live in a garage when it is not being driven so it wouldn't be subjected to the sun and elements like it currently is
Old 09-14-2021, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 379 Likes on 291 Posts

Paint lasting is about prep and how it is cared for after the fact.

The issue with being done without a booth is dirt or bugs getting on the wet paint.
The following users liked this post:
arthursc2 (09-14-2021)
Old 09-14-2021, 12:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Exactly

I am going to order some oil dye tonight and toss it in. I'll clean up some stuff and then drive the truck around and see what I can see.
Old 09-14-2021, 01:27 PM
Teching In

Paint lasting is about prep and how it is cared for after the fact.

The issue with being done without a booth is dirt or bugs getting on the wet paint.

I know what a booth is for, I think you missed the point.

Auto body is profession, and discussing with or without a booth was a way to explain the level of that profession.

I have seen several paint jobs over the years done by guys who do it "on the side" and without a booth.

Some of the best looking paint jobs I have ever seen come from home hobbyist, the only thing in my experience is that they don't last as long as ones done in a more professional setting.

Old 09-14-2021, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 379 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BRAVO1
I know what a booth is for, I think you missed the point.

Auto body is profession, and discussing with or without a booth was a way to explain the level of that profession.

I have seen several paint jobs over the years done by guys who do it "on the side" and without a booth.

Some of the best looking paint jobs I have ever seen come from home hobbyist, the only thing in my experience is that they don't last as long as ones done in a more professional setting.
I think you missed the point. I bet you are a lot of fun at parties. You do not know what you are talking about.

If you wish to discuss paint more, start a new thread in the show and shine section.
Old 09-14-2021, 01:56 PM
Teching In

I think you missed the point. I bet you are a lot of fun at parties. You do not know what you are talking about.

If you wish to discuss paint more, start a new thread in the show and shine section.

No need, I'll let your butt heal a little.

You are welcome to send me a PM though.

I'll even give you my phone number.

Last edited by 1BRAVO1; 09-14-2021 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:27 PM
100% Redneck

Received 1,334 Likes on 794 Posts

the only thing in my experience is that they don't last as long as ones done in a more professional setting.
I've shot hundreds of vehicles from cars, pickup trucks, motorcycles, 18 wheeler's and even a helicopter. I've worked in large dealership body shops, medium sized shops to small mom & pop body shops. Painted in some of the nicest downdraft booths, nice homemade booths, dusty home garages. I've shot cars in mechanics garages, in backyards, gravel driveways and school buses in an asphalt parking lot.

Without a climate controlled booth it's a little harder choosing which reducers and activators (fast, slow or medium) to use if there is a big temp swing (cold morning to hot afternoon). That said spraying in a booth or outside doesn't have a darned thing of how long the paint is going to last. Prep and using a quality paint system plus how the vehicle is cared for dictates longevity.

Shooting outside you're always fighting bugs as they seem to be attracted to the vapor, get buzzed (pun intended) and dive bomb into the wet finish. Happens sometimes even in a commercial paint booth that's why painters always have a pair of tweezers ready. After a cut & buff sometimes their little legs are still barely visible if they landed on the crown of the vehicle.

The biggest thing shooting outside is the sun. You can't let the panels get heated up by the sun. You have to shoot in the morning before the sun peeks over the tree cover or late in the afternoon when the suns behind the trees. A hot panel will not flow and look like **** from the paint drying as soon as it hits. Mornings are the best time when there is a bit of dew on the grass to help keep the dust down.

No need, I'll let your butt heal a little.
I think you need to fill out this form yourself

El Bandito-baxycyo.jpg
The following 3 users liked this post by RedXray:
arthursc2 (09-14-2021), tjmath (09-17-2021), zz454Chevelle67 (09-15-2021)
Old 09-14-2021, 09:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,098 Posts

^this guy is fun at parties tho!
The following users liked this post:
zz454Chevelle67 (09-15-2021)

Quick Reply: El Bandito