PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

El Bandito

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 05:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,276 Likes on 973 Posts

control arms arrived today. Tomorrow will be the install of them and the coilovers I hope. I will also try and chase down the oil leak.

Whatever happens tomorrow determines what drop kit I buy for the rear at Summit ready to be somewhat low lol
Old 10-16-2021, 10:43 AM
100% Redneck

Received 1,334 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by shakenfake
control arms arrived today. Tomorrow will be the install of them and the coilovers I hope. I will also try and chase down the oil leak.

Whatever happens tomorrow determines what drop kit I buy for the rear at Summit ready to be somewhat low lol

For the rear you have options with combinations of drop hangers, shackles and drop leafs... or just go with a flip kit for the 6". I'd bet the drop springs, hangers, shackle combo ride better than the flip because the flip has very little travel before you're on the (cut down) bump stops or the rearend housing hits the bottom of the bed.

Here is a vid with the (Street Edge) rear drop springs and front coilovers also a Magnuson supercharger to keep thing interesting.

Besides the loss of travel when you place the housing on top of the spring pack you lose space between the housing and the bed. This makes running any nice mandrel bent aftermarket tailpipe system through there impossible. You'll have to put up with a dumped exhaust or custom tig welded stainless (expensive) or settle for squish bent exhaust shop tails that suffer flow.

You can see where my brake lines rub the bottom of the bed and the squish bent tailpipes narrow fit.

El Bandito-sp0izxy.jpg

Old 10-16-2021, 10:52 AM
TECH Veteran

I watched that video that truck is bad ***!

I have two inch lift coil overs in the front. I was originally planning to just do a 2/4 drop so that is still the plan. If I have enough shock travel though I may shoot for a 3/5.

Atomic helped me spec everything out and he had brought up some good points on how to get lower after if I decide I want to. I may just do this flip kit lift hanger combo that will put me at a 4 or 5 inch drop and then reinstall the factory hanger if I need to drop back down to six. Haven't decided yet and am in no rush
Old 10-16-2021, 12:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Not to further confuse you, but pulling the middle leaf spring from the pack is another option. I did, and used the middle hole on a drop shackle for about 4.5” of drop. It is softer without that spring, but that is what I was looking for. I’m running Atomic’s coil overs on the front with Belltech spindles and Viking shocks on the rear.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...h-drop-514381/
Old 10-16-2021, 12:32 PM
100% Redneck

10/4

If you choose the drop leafs +/- hanger/shackle combo (3,4,5,6")...
you wont have that stiff ride and minimum travel with the flip...
plus you won't have to notch the frame (which is pretty easy)

The best way is to go coilovers in the rear too...
you'll be handling great and riding cotton ball smooth
Old 10-16-2021, 12:35 PM
TECH Veteran

I'm going to start with my 2/4 drop and then if I have to move forward with a 4/6 then I'll aim for it next year

The only requirement on my truck is I still need to be able to haul an engine in the rear
Old 10-16-2021, 12:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by RedXray
10/4

If you choose the drop leafs +/- hanger/shackle combo (3,4,5,6")...
you wont have that stiff ride and minimum travel with the flip...
plus you won't have to notch the frame (which is pretty easy)

The best way is to go coilovers in the rear too...
you'll be handling great and riding cotton ball smooth
Future goal is some sort of 4-link or watts link or something nice like that

I am gonna notch the frame with whatever, it'll be worth it I think
Old 10-16-2021, 01:49 PM
100% Redneck

Originally Posted by shakenfake
The only requirement on my truck is I still need to be able to haul an engine in the rear
Hauling an engine will be easy with any combo you choose even a Duramax diesel lol

I built a deck off the garage and the house then connected the two with a ramp making it easy for me to walk between the two. Anyway I hauled all the lumber and cement in my 4/6 drop with ease. I'm sure I was out of travel in the rear on some of the 10mi hauls.

I'm no carpenter so I consulted with the man upstairs for help (Jesus was a carpenter) hey it came out pretty good!

Under construction

El Bandito-cqenpew.jpg

The following 4 users liked this post by RedXray:
arthursc2 (10-17-2021), Jeff71 (10-18-2021), strutaeng (03-21-2022), zz454Chevelle67 (10-18-2021)
Old 10-16-2021, 01:54 PM
TECH Veteran

That looks damn good Red!
Old 10-17-2021, 07:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Pretty sure it is rear main and not oil level sensor. No oil dye coming from there. Truck has been sitting up on jacks for two days and there is oil on the ground. Unless I fudged up the gasket install which I don't believe I did. Then it is the rear main. It is coming from that same spot that it was before which is passenger side corner of the oil pan. Truck has not been running so it is just leaking.

Also while doing the LCAs I have discovered some general maintenance/things that need to be replaced.
1. Both upper ball joints
2. Brake pads, getting the cheapest ones so that I can do a BBK next year don't judge me
3. Obviously the rear main seal
4. Driver's side rack and pinion boot

I'll get all those done next weekend. Except for probably the rear main seal, that will have to wait for whenever I decide I am good enough to pull the tranny out

Quick Reply: El Bandito