PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Flatbed car hauler trailer fix-up

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 06:25 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Did you buy the materials to build a new deck yet???
Not yet...was thinking about doing pressure treated lumber. That will be the last piece to go back together though.

Originally Posted by mdwatts11
Coming along great! You mentioned GM 8 lug wheels. I was thinking those wheels on there would look neat powder coated gloss black. Something different!
I'll have to see what style wheels i end up with, might look good though.

Originally Posted by TIM Z
Yes you can buy weld on trailer fenders , I checked because I need one lol, guy backed into mine.

Nice progress ! Your going to have new trailer when your done !
I was actually planning on doing bolt on fenders if they will work, easier to replace if they get damaged again in the future.

Originally Posted by kretty
Reminds me of when i bought my brand new road warrior and tore it apart to do a little customization...
What did you do to it?
Old 12-08-2012, 09:37 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sand blast and powder-coat the frame before re-decking??

That would be sweet!! Or at least paint it. POR-15 is pretty sweet if you apply it correctly, not sure how it would deal with the winters up there.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:39 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

If you can swing it, diamond plate floor is the way to go. Put a floor tool box in to hold your boomers and chains.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

I haven't done it to mine yet but I am going to get pretty much the entire trailer line x'd including the planks on the deck. I bought mine new in 2011 but the paint job on it is complete garbage.... They put it on way to thick and didn't put enough hardener in it or something because it's still soft to this day. My trip into the mountains with the quads pretty well finished off any inkling of paint underneath it, lol. I could whine for warranty but it's over a year and really..... do I want another shoddy paint job???? No.

At least they sandblasted it before they painted it though ( it was a custom build, not an off the lot unit). That said I may have to do like you and strip it completely and start over...... sad, lol. I guess at least it isn't rusty, lol.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:08 PM
High on diesel fumes

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Sand blast and powder-coat the frame before re-decking??

That would be sweet!! Or at least paint it. POR-15 is pretty sweet if you apply it correctly, not sure how it would deal with the winters up there.
What's the best way to get the paint and rust off? Sandblasting? Can I rent a sandblaster or do I have to take it somewhere?

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
If you can swing it, diamond plate floor is the way to go. Put a floor tool box in to hold your boomers and chains.
I'm going to stick with pressure treated lumber I think. Good idea with the floor toolbox though...how would I go about building one of those? Or do they come pre-fabbed?

Originally Posted by 1994Vmax
I haven't done it to mine yet but I am going to get pretty much the entire trailer line x'd including the planks on the deck. I bought mine new in 2011 but the paint job on it is complete garbage.... They put it on way to thick and didn't put enough hardener in it or something because it's still soft to this day. My trip into the mountains with the quads pretty well finished off any inkling of paint underneath it, lol. I could whine for warranty but it's over a year and really..... do I want another shoddy paint job???? No.

At least they sandblasted it before they painted it though ( it was a custom build, not an off the lot unit). That said I may have to do like you and strip it completely and start over...... sad, lol. I guess at least it isn't rusty, lol.
Bedliner would be awesome, if I could get it done (including prep) for a couple hundred bucks. I'll have to call around. I have rhino-lining in my truck, would love to have that stuff on the trailer.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sub'd
Old 12-09-2012, 07:23 PM
High on diesel fumes

So I found several sites that say to only run 0 offset wheels on trailers. I guess the bearings are sensitive to side loading, and running any offset (+ or -) will lead to premature failure.

Does anyone know any Chevy or Dodge factory 8 lug wheels that run 0 offset? The research I did said that all 2001-2008's are +28...
Old 12-09-2012, 08:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice project...
Old 12-10-2012, 04:23 PM
High on diesel fumes

I got the stupid rails removed today, as well as the passenger fender. Found out that I'm going to need to weld new fenders on...there's no brackets for bolt-on fenders. Bought a new tongue jack today and got the tongue off the jackstands. No new pics, doesn't look much different.

Trailer dealer that I bought the jack from wants $95/hour to weld...says it takes about 2 hours per fender, and I'm assuming another hour or two for the cracked frame welds. That's somewhere between $500-600 for welding...no thanks. Now seems like a good time to learn myself Was thinking about getting a stick welder since I doubt I'll use it often, and mostly just for small jobs.

I called Linex about having the frame done...they quoted me $1000+ for sandblasting, priming, and spraying. Again, no thanks. It'll be more work but I'm going to get some wire wheels for my angle grinder and do it myself, then prime and paint.

Also found out that there were new Dexter D60 axles installed in 2009, so that's good news.

After purchasing the trailer, fuel to get there and back, disposing of 5 loose tires, new trailer jack, a pack of cutoff wheels, and title/registration, I'm in it for $1436 so far.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

Sounds a lot like my trailer when I bought it a few years ago. I got a 20" dove tail locally off Craigslist that needed some work for pretty cheap. It had four different sized tires and one mismatched wheel, decking need a few new boards, light wiring needed fixing, had a bad hub and needed brakes. There were a few redneck renovations which I had to fix too (not unlike the welded tongue ballast on yours, lol). I have since put four new loadstar trailer tires, one new wheel, four new hubs and electric brakes, rewired entire trailer, replaced half the decking and made a few other misc upgrades for my personal use preference. Having a welding machine was really helpful in fixing it up. Some additional mods on the to-do list are welding in some tie-down shackles (since I use it primarily to haul the truck), adding a winch, spare tire mount, new left fender and a complete blast/paint job.

I would suggest a tongue box for your trailer. It will mount on the tongue where your rail ballast was. It is trapezoidal shaped so it will not interfere with your turning radius. The previous owner of my trailer had a full size truck bed tool box mounted on the tongue and it would contact the bumper if I turned too sharp. I have since relocated it to the front of the deck and the truck still fits fine since it is 20'. I have seen the in-floor boxes Cody mentioned and they are super nice but I can imagine they would be pretty costly to retrofit into the deck.

Quick Reply: Flatbed car hauler trailer fix-up