PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Forged 370 coming together.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 10:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Why not switch back to stock rockers? Everyone seems to have good luck and he isnt running super stiff springs or a crazy cam. Stock rockers with the Harlan mod seems like it would cure alot of the problems you are describing, it only money
I agree 100%, but since the money is already into a nice set of rockers, there is no harm in using them.

I am using stock rockers with the harlan upgrade on MArks trucks.

Rick
Old 10-11-2007, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rick@Synergy
Here is an update for you all.

Heads and parts are back on the truck as of last night. Waiting on a new intake elbow that Julien wanted and to test the Meth injection to make sure it works still.

The bad thing we also found was the pushrod lengths were wrong. He has adjustable rockers, so when they chose the rod length, the rocker bottoms out on the stand studs. I added .050 to the length and got a nice moving rocker arm with the correct amount of preload on the lifter now. You could not put enough preload on it before. So this should help the truck some more too. The one thing I dont like is the valve pattern, it was tough to decide on how much rod to run because of where the rocker hits the valve. Its as good as it will get now.

Rick

Rick what kind of symptoms wud u notice with the bad pushrod lengths?
Old 10-11-2007, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

Default RE: Update on Spoolins truck

The lifters in that truck are CTSV and REQUIRE VERY LITTLE preload.I have built many engines like this with no problems. To use the word (Wrong) might be incorrect.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:07 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jetmann
The lifters in that truck are CTSV and REQUIRE VERY LITTLE preload.I have built many engines like this with no problems. To use the word (Wrong) might be incorrect.
Thanks for the comment Rex, I know that you have built more motors and made more HP than most out there.....and you are usually un noticed. The CTS-V lifters in fact do not require very much preload, and I have seen/used them in several set ups of my own.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Thats what they said about the Comp-R lifters in the past, and from TUNING experience, more preload makes more power and a more consistant tune. If I only put a quarter turn on the lifter, like you were saying they should only run, you are still too close to the stand. You could tell by looking at the bottom of the rocker they had marks on them. Hope this helps.

Rick
Old 10-12-2007, 12:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rick@Synergy
Thats what they said about the Comp-R lifters in the past, and from TUNING experience, more preload makes more power and a more consistant tune. If I only put a quarter turn on the lifter, like you were saying they should only run, you are still too close to the stand. You could tell by looking at the bottom of the rocker they had marks on them. Hope this helps.

Rick
First off, these are not comp lifters!and I am well aware of the problems with those. Second: with the longer pushrods being .050 plus the fact that they were already preloaded at the desired amount of approx .020 with the pushrods that were previously installed. How does the rocker geometry look with the longer pushrods? This engine had no valve noise with the amount of preload that it was originally set up with.When I tried the longer pushrod the geometry was to far off for the amount of preload that I use with the CTSV lifter. I do know that the rockers were close to the stand.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:56 AM
TECH Junkie

First off, these are not comp lifters!and I am well aware of the problems with those. Second: with the longer pushrods being .050 plus the fact that they were already preloaded at the desired amount of approx .020 with the pushrods that were previously installed. How does the rocker geometry look with the longer pushrods? This engine had no valve noise with the amount of preload that it was originally set up with.When I tried the longer pushrod the geometry was to far off for the amount of preload that I use with the CTSV lifter. I do know that the rockers were close to the stand.

Rex, I know what you are getting at, but many of us have also used the CTS-V lifters in lots of other stuff with standard preload settings and no issues there as well. I dont know about the motor being quiet on the valve train before, it pretty much sounded like all the other LS1's we here. The geometry is still good. No matter how that rocker sits, it is still not going to be centered on the valve. IMO, a stock rocker should have been used, but since they are not, then I have to work with these.

Rick
Old 10-14-2007, 08:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

looks great!
Old 10-18-2007, 06:39 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

whats the latest?
Old 10-24-2007, 02:22 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rick got the heads back on late last week, started the truck and had a list of codes to deal with including Reduce power mode, and a bunch of codes that I can't remember. He had to dig through the wiring harness to chase a few bad wires and replace them(not sure how my harness got so bad in only a few years, MAF was completly rotted and corroded). He was fixing the meth kit too which was re-installed incorrectly after the swap, and I assume he got that one taken care of. Finally got the codes taken care of and this morning he tried tuning it but found out he needs to re-wire the tranny too. One problem being the converter won't lock up. If it turns out I cooked my new tranny because the last shop didn't know their *** from their head I'm gonna demand my money back from them legally. I've already spent more money fixing everything from the original install that they incorrectly installed or Fucked up in the process.
I'm glad it's in Rick's hands as he's finding more and more things wrong but it's making me more and more mad at the original shop for not being up front about their inability to do the job and half ***'ing everything they could do. That and the fact that I can't afford to spend any more money on the truck.
So....

Quick Reply: Forged 370 coming together.