PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Home Grown Boost and More

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 09:12 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

just hooks and pulls? Why am I building AWD? stance is perfect now!
Old 05-14-2012, 09:39 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys, i'm still only on 7psi and its running great but I figure once the boost goes up it will be back to a burnout machine.

I took about 4 retunes to get it driving real good but I'm battling some fueling issues that I just cant figure out. If I turn the boost up even the slightest bit it goes lean. I talked to Justin about it and he suggested I might be out of pump. I just cant see the walbro being at its limit at only 8psi.

The other strange part is I can be cruising at 50mph, do a WOT pull and the wideband will read 11.7. Slow down to 50mph again, do a second WOT pull and it will be at 11.0. It will change that much on back to back pulls.

The initial tune was super rich so I gave that a try this weekend and turned it up to 10psi just to see what would happen, stayed at 11.0 and below. As Justin sent over the retunes the first one way way too lean and each one got richer and richer. The last one he sent he even stated that based on the tune he cant see how I could be leaner than 11.5 anywhere but the wideband shows it.

I thought maybe the wideband was off but it seems to be correct during cruise etc. Going to take a little experimenting but i'll figure it out eventually, for right now 7psi looks plenty safe on the wideband and it pulls good so
Old 05-14-2012, 10:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you Selling the Y pipe Turbo Mount flange? If you build another I will buy it!
Old 05-14-2012, 11:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BIGHAL
Are you Selling the Y pipe Turbo Mount flange? If you build another I will buy it!
Never really planned to build and sell anything. Sure I can weld and this is holding together like a champ but I'm no pro. I'd hate to sell pipes and have them fall apart on someone.

Depending on how long you can hold out the kit may come off at the end of summer so I can build a twin kit. If they look like they are still holding fine I'd feel more comfortable.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:33 PM
Laid Back

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 03RCSB
The other strange part is I can be cruising at 50mph, do a WOT pull and the wideband will read 11.7. Slow down to 50mph again, do a second WOT pull and it will be at 11.0. It will change that much on back to back pulls.
There are IAT and ECT adder tables in the tune. So maybe after you're a little heatsoaked from the first pull, one of those tables kicks in and richens it up. Just thinkin out loud...
Old 05-15-2012, 11:57 PM
GFYS and STFU

Very cool truck and build you got there!! I skipped through a lot of it but if there's a text-book how to thread on how to do things in the correct order this thread seems to be it! Well done.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Beatdown Z
There are IAT and ECT adder tables in the tune. So maybe after you're a little heatsoaked from the first pull, one of those tables kicks in and richens it up. Just thinkin out loud...
That very well could be. The only thing is it will go the other direction as well. Very inconsistent but keeping it at 7psi keeps me in the safe zone. I understand that this is a never ending upgrade game but i'd rather not pull out a pump with 3000 miles on it when others are taking it to 10-12psi, there has got to be something i'm missing.

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Very cool truck and build you got there!! I skipped through a lot of it but if there's a text-book how to thread on how to do things in the correct order this thread seems to be it! Well done.
Thanks man, I joined a few years back and it was trucks like your old crew cab that pushed me to learn and try out some of this stuff.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice project. Who doing that hot parts?
Old 05-16-2012, 02:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Go5.3tt06
Nice project. Who doing that hot parts?
I built the hot parts with a mandrel bend builder pack.

Last edited by 03RCSB; 05-22-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just read the whole build thread, very clean and tastefully done hot side looks great gave me a lot of ideas.

Quick Reply: Home Grown Boost and More