PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Home Grown Boost and More

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 09:51 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just talked to Blackbear, going to try 12psi this weekend. Anyone got a cheap 5.3l longblock laying around just in case?
Old 08-30-2012, 10:17 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yes I do
Old 08-30-2012, 10:29 PM
Slowest turbo build ever!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Updates with 12psi?

You were at 8psi before right? Curious cause Ill keep it between 8-10psi once I get things buttoned up.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:28 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by black00chev
Updates with 12psi?

You were at 8psi before right? Curious cause Ill keep it between 8-10psi once I get things buttoned up.
I was kinda hovering at 7psi or so for the most part. Only recently did I bump it to 10, I was still rich at 10psi so I figured if I had the fuel, why not try 12psi.

I'm running a manual controller so I dialed it in to 12psi and all looked good at the lower rpms around town, no knock nice and fat. On to some highway pulls, 2nd gear pull starts at 12psi and tapered down to about 11.5psi by the time it shifts into 3rd. Everything looked great, no knock, mid 11s on the wideband, right up until a split second before it shifts i'm seeing 12.1 on the wideband.

Think i'm at the limit of the pump, only a walbro 255. I'm sure that 12.1 for half a second right at the shift wont hurt anything, but I backed it off to 11psi tapering down to mid 10s. No need to push my luck.

Originally Posted by mitchellmade
yes I do
Havent seen you in a while man, still working on the truck? Shuffling some things around in the garage right now helpin out another member with an 80e build but still got my eye on that spare engine when I get some more room.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:25 AM
GFYS and STFU

That short 12.1 bout of AFR isn't gonna do much damage at all. I wouldn't worry about it or give it a second thought. Happy Get some vids posted up!!
Old 08-31-2012, 07:31 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Spoolin
That short 12.1 bout of AFR isn't gonna do much damage at all. I wouldn't worry about it or give it a second thought. Happy Get some vids posted up!!
Ah good to know, I figured but I always try to stay on the safe side. Maybe I will bump it back up the extra pound though.

I got the same comment from a few other people, not enough videos or they're too short or crappy. Going to see if I can get some good vids soon.

On another note,

Don't think the truck is going to get upgraded any time soon so not much more in the way of mods coming. I'd rather not start down the road with meth, more psi, head studs etc etc. This thing ate up a lot of weekends between mods and replacing things that were gonna go boom. Its been flawless for the most part and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere. Gonna drive and enjoy it for a while while I work on a new project.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:39 PM

Thats awesome to hear man! Makes me feel a little more confident that I wont have much of an issue engine wise. The trans will be another story but I also drive like a grandpa compaired to most people on here.

Was there a big difference in the butt dyno between 8, 10, and 12psi? My WG comes with a 7psi spring in it so Ill probably just run a manual boost controller to get my everday 8psi and then bump it to 10psi when im feeling frisky .
Old 08-31-2012, 05:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by black00chev
Thats awesome to hear man! Makes me feel a little more confident that I wont have much of an issue engine wise. The trans will be another story but I also drive like a grandpa compaired to most people on here.

Was there a big difference in the butt dyno between 8, 10, and 12psi? My WG comes with a 7psi spring in it so Ill probably just run a manual boost controller to get my everday 8psi and then bump it to 10psi when im feeling frisky .
It feels faster but I ride in it all the time, so I use other peoples butt dynos. I swing by my buddies house every time I change something. The last was a jump from 8psi then stopped by his place running 11psi and said he could def feel it pull harder.
It def hits a little harder if that makes any sense, I'm guessing its because the gate stays closed longer. That spool to 11psi will make the 0-8psi spool faster than just stopping at 8. Just a guess/retard logic maybe

Go with the 80e and dont look back man, best decision I could have made for my truck. Rebuilding one myself wasnt too bad either, no specialty tools needed, jakes shift kit was a breeze to install.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:48 PM

Awesome, looks like Ill just keep it between 8-10psi and have fun like you! I wanna do the 80e but Justin has rode in my truck and said if it was his own truck he wouldnt even hesitate to rock the 60E with HD2, vette 2nd, and billet 4th. So im gonna trust his instinct haha. Worst case I buy an 80E down the road anyway. I just dont have anywhere to work on my truck for more then a day or two. So a trans swap would be quite the task.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:13 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I still have that truck its just on the back burner , picked up a 03 2500hd crew dont know what im doing with it quite yet , If you need parts or tools let me know moving to a much smaller garageso come get em. if interested pm me your cell and that 5.3 is not looking good

Quick Reply: Home Grown Boost and More