PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

I can't fabricate?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 01:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey your trying have to start some where but 1. what kind of welder? 2. how well do you clean your welding areas?
Old 02-17-2011, 05:16 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am not bragging that I am a master fabricator. The point of this thread is the fact that wile every measurement isn't perfect, and every weld isn't "certifiable", I built a 4 link and it works perfectly. Obviously that means I can measure, and square up an axle in my truck.

Some people constantly talk about how my truck is a death trap and they have nothing to back it up with. Because I posted a picture with a tarp not tightly stretched on my bed due to my original plan not being enough to hold it.? Because I set my side pipes on a jack stand and a foot of the lift to get a quick idea how they will look? That is the point of this. Most of they "hack" slinging is based on incorrect information.

P.S. I got a PM the other day that basically said "My bed and cab look just like yours... but my truck has never been touched. What do you think the issue is?" I have seen at least 5 trucks on the road just like mine with the can slightly lower then the bed. I am fairly confident that the rubber cab mounts are worn after 10 years and 240,000+ miles therefore the cab is sagging. The bed on the other hand is hard mounted so there is no sagging. The bed misalignment has nothing to do with my skills especially because the factory bed was the same way. Yet I get **** on by some ignorant members because somehow i screwed up in my fabricating by drilling some holes and adding some tabs to the factory frame.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:20 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Originally Posted by bigtodd
hey your trying have to start some where but 1. what kind of welder? 2. how well do you clean your welding areas?
Snap-On mighty Mig. It is an absolutly AWESOME welder. Everyone who has used it(5-10 people) say it is the best, easiest, and nicest welder they have ever used. I bought it a just over a year ago.

I clean my welding surface fairly well. Sometime I could do a better job but I generaly have perfectly clean metal in my area and try to clean back around a 1/4 of an inch.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

In before the lock.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by custm2500

Some people constantly talk about how my truck is a death trap
It is a death trap, for christ sake it can't even do a big smokey burnout without catching on fire!
Old 02-17-2011, 07:59 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

You have a point!
Old 02-17-2011, 08:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will say those look like good welds for a MIG. I use a MIG for all of my suspension pieces, and they are plenty strong. Your quality is good for that type of work. I have seen a lot of people comment on welds that have never welded. People like the nice ripple of a tig welder, and too often just assume because it has that that the weld is great. I have seen bad welds with the nice ripple, and great welds without it. As far as making a TB, that work isn't in the same class. People bash you because you think you can make a TB, and talk like it is a simple valve. I know it is a valve, and I know that is the main function, but everyone else can see the big picture and you just plain and simply can't.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Dude.... You have totally missed any point that anyone made in that TB thread. The problem is, you post all these "in progress" pics and never anything finished, or that turns out looking right.

I still maintain my position that there's lots of things that you don't think out and that's where the criticism comes from.

-they sell 4-link kits so any home builder with much knowledge at all can put one together. Ever wondered why they don't sell DIY throttle body kits?
Old 02-17-2011, 12:58 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by custm2500
I am fairly confident that the rubber cab mounts are worn after 10 years and 240,000+ miles therefore the cab is sagging. The bed on the other hand is hard mounted so there is no sagging. The bed misalignment has nothing to do with my skills especially because the factory bed was the same way.
Your sig pic shows the body lines lined up on the cab and bed, was that taken 240,00 miles ago?
Old 02-17-2011, 01:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Your sig pic shows the body lines lined up on the cab and bed, was that taken 240,00 miles ago?
Back when it was LWB. . .

Quick Reply: I can't fabricate?