PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Lets Try This Again: 410-PT88-80e

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 11:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 201 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by DBRODS
...Should be more carbon on the pistons if A/F was correct even only having 600 miles on the motor....
Wrong.
I agree with Cody on the ring gap position, should have been on the other side of the cylinder. If infact that is the gap..
Wrong
... this almost looks like its blown through the side of the piston at the gap, which could be a overly rich condition. Excess fuel seeps between top and second ring through the top ring gap and then ingnites and blows out the side of the piston...
Were you high when you came up with that one? I mean literally, high on some hallucinogenic weed, and watching cartoons while you formulated that scenario? Insult intended.

First, that's a lot of carbon for 600 miles, in a naturally aspirated, fuel injected engine, there would be almost none in that time. That there is that much indicates that it was pretty rich some times, probably the couple of times that he went into boost.
Second, four stroke engines don't have the rings pinned like two strokes do. The rings are free to spin in the bore, and they do. They do spin in unison though, that is why you align the gaps across from each other. If they didn't spin, they would quickly carbonize the oil behind them and get stuck in the lands. There would also be grooves worn into the cylinder at the gap. Check this.
Third, gasoline would have to have the explosive power of dynamite to "blow out the side of the piston". There would have to be a burnable mixture of air and fuel in the ring gap, and still, air/fuel mixtures burn and not explode. Even if you devise a way for detonation to occur in the ring gap, there still would not be enough air/fuel to cause damage. Maybe with nitromethane and nitrous oxide? I still doubt that.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:35 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heres a example of a piston from a overly rich condition...

Guess I pee'd in your cherios at one point in time also. Its ok you can have your opinion. The rings may rotate to a degree but they are not in there spinning circles, I agree on the top and second ring gap being 180 degrees apart, top ring gap should always be away from the intake valve. I've pulled motors apart that the ring gaps always seem to be in the same position that they were installed in. IDK maybe I got lucky every single time and all eight were still in the same spots.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:41 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Id have to agree with you Jon, the few motors that ive built, upon tear down the rings were where I put them within Id say 5*s because it wasnt a noticeable with the eye difference in clocking. If they rotate so much why do piston manufcaturers tell you where to clock the rings if theyre just going to play "ring around the rosie" in the cylinder? Just my .02 from a "dumb redneck" in Texas...
Old 01-14-2011, 11:44 AM
TECH Veteran

... Guess I pee'd in your cherios at one point in time also....
Not that I remember, I just make sure to call out fantastic stories.

fan·tas·tic   
[fan-tas-tik] Show IPA
–adjective
conceived or appearing as if conceived by an unrestrained imagination; odd and remarkable; bizarre; grotesque: fantastic rock formations; fantastic designs.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
Not that I remember, I just make sure to call out fantastic stories.

fan·tas·tic   
[fan-tas-tik] Show IPA
–adjective
conceived or appearing as if conceived by an unrestrained imagination; odd and remarkable; bizarre; grotesque: fantastic rock formations; fantastic designs.
I've been called worse, so thanks for the compliment...
Old 01-14-2011, 11:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Id have to agree with you Jon, the few motors that ive built, upon tear down the rings were where I put them within Id say 5*s because it wasnt a noticeable with the eye difference in clocking. If they rotate so much why do piston manufcaturers tell you where to clock the rings if theyre just going to play "ring around the rosie" in the cylinder? Just my .02 from a "dumb redneck" in Texas...
...The rings are free to spin in the bore, and they do. They do spin in unison though, that is why you align the gaps across from each other...
If Texas is where dumb people are, how would you like to trade your dumb people for the dumb people that live around here?
Old 01-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Launching!

If Texas is where dumb people are, how would you like to trade your dumb people for the dumb people that live around here?
Texas is where the FAST people are...
Old 01-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

But every time I tear the motor down theyre at the same spot where I left them, I find it hard to believe all piston rings have the exact same amount of force(they dont due to airflow and fuel) to make all the rings rotate the same and I tore the motor apart right when they made it back to where I started them at. Again why do piston manufacturers(JE and Wiseco in my case) tell you where to clock their rings?
Old 01-14-2011, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have piston that looks kinda like that too Jon. Guess it does happen to Gas engines.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:25 PM
TECH Veteran

That is what detonation does, it does not happen from "Excess fuel seeps between top and second ring through the top ring gap and then ingnites and blows out the side of the piston". Of course gas engines do that.

Quick Reply: Lets Try This Again: 410-PT88-80e