PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

LSX 438 Twin Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 12:57 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man that is a sweet looking pile of parts...I can't believe the size of those exhaust ports on the heads!
Most of that looks far too pretty to install in your engine IMO...I think you shouldn't install any of that stuff, we have enough twin turbo LSX's running around that we don't need one more.

How was the BBQ?
Old 06-19-2007, 01:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey mark when you get bored with all taht boring stuff just send it my way.... i have a good 2006 home just waiting for it.. dont forget who helped ya with availability of that there big orange piece..
Old 06-20-2007, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

OK, ran into our first problem, was going to use stock exhaust manifolds flipped, but this is what Rick said,
"Ok, big issue right now. Since the addition to the valve covers, the manifolds still fit, but I cant run the coil pack wires out of the two center ports on them. I spent all day trying different manifolds and such, and I cant come up with a better mounting way for the kit. The only other option is to build custom manifolds, and that will kill the cost factor big time."

another option is to build custom Log Type Manifolds but he is not sure if they will flow enough. Anybody have any ideas,
Thanks,
Mark
Old 06-20-2007, 08:38 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Maybe ABear could machine a slot into the covers that run the entire length, connecting the holes that are in them already. That way you could run the wires out of the covers anywhere you wanted. Would that alleviate the problem? I'm not sure I'm totally understanding. Or could you put a plug in the center two holes and run 2 wires out of each of the end holes??? As tall as the covers are, I'm not sure how much of the wires will be showing. It would be a shame to not use the covers, but I think I like the cast factory manifolds better than a "custom made" manifold as far as durability goes.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:38 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can the valve covers be altered to allow the use of the stock mans.?

Awoo, BADMOFO beat me to it!
Old 06-20-2007, 08:41 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

badmofo : long version
trever1t : short version
Old 06-20-2007, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

imo id probably go with some log type manifolds dimialr to parish. you have to use those valve covers. imo i think the amnifolds can be made to flow just as much if not more than the stockers. but that will alter spooling time .
Old 06-20-2007, 08:50 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

The factory manifolds will not crack over time as custom log manifolds are almost guaranteed to do. Another option would be re-locating the coil packs all together, and plugging up the holes on the covers. Maybe ABear could machine a plug of some sort for the holes.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:52 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Didn't have this problem because...I'm not cool enough to run twin turbo's but...As a head's up, your VC's will get really close to the firewall. At least mine did and I'm assuming you might run into the same problem due the the extra height of these aftermarket ones. They push up against the insulation pretty good but are not touching the firewall. But I think they do when the engine rocks on the mounts during torquey launches. Might be a good idea to shave the VC's a little bit or hammer the firewall a little bit.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

thanks guys,
all very good ideas. I will pass the info on to Rick.
One of Ricks ideas was to hide the coils somewhere else.
Don't worry, I will use these valve covers regardless of what needs to be done.
Mark

Quick Reply: LSX 438 Twin Turbo