PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

LSX Tall Deck 900hp motor build

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 12:11 AM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
700rwhp at 6K? Mighty tall order my friend, but would be badass. Richard talked you into one of those belt driven vacuum pumps huh?
Nope, I talked myself into it!
There's a book I read by Reher-Morrison that basically has a whole chapter on crankcase vacuum and it's drawbacks, because there are a few of them. My goal is to get 20 inches of vacuum in there at WOT. I can't do it any other way, well I can but nothing that is cheaper or cleaner.

Originally Posted by ws6ls1
Jules you talkin about this intake here????
That's if things plan out. Problem with that however is I'm on a budget and that intake set-up with tuning will cost $5K. Tuning with those are difficult since you lose half of your sensors, but it's still possible. However like I said before this motor won't be built till the end of summer early fall.

I will have an update tomorrow night as I'm meeting with someone tomorrow who's gonna help me solidify my plans...hopefully.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im really looking forward to this build. Im always down to help you work on the truck since its only a little drive for me and id rather do that then be at work
Old 04-05-2010, 06:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Spoolin
That's if things plan out. Problem with that however is I'm on a budget and that intake set-up with tuning will cost $5K. Tuning with those are difficult since you lose half of your sensors, but it's still possible. However like I said before this motor won't be built till the end of summer early fall.

I will have an update tomorrow night as I'm meeting with someone tomorrow who's gonna help me solidify my plans...hopefully.
I hear ya man. The motor that intake is sitting on goes in my buddies Vette. That thing is beyond nasty. Im ready to see him finish it up. He has already had it together with the Fast 90/90 setup but he isnt able to turn enough RPMs with the Fast 90/90. With the Harrop he said they guaranteed him to pull up to 8000 RPMs. He is running a .760 something lift solid roller with the new intake. Seeing a set of triple valve springs on a set of Trick Flow 245 heads with that intake is just insane. And to think its got twin foggers to back all that up.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:19 AM
GFYS and STFU

Well...
I'm at an impasse! I spent about 3 hours today with one of the premier engine builders in the world (Kenny Duttweiler) and I'm more screwed up now that I have ever been.
Alot of my previous assumptions about FI and motors in general have been shot to ****, and learned a **** load about what does and doesn't work in the world of reality!! ...
Most of this just confirms what some of you who have been lurking on here but not posting already knew but...N/A motor is out.
900hp N/A on pump gas is gonna be difficult without spinning it, which is something I'm very reluctant to do. For three reasons...
1) Longevity and reliability of the motor
2) The valve-train for a spinner is very $$
3) The powerband on that kind of engine wouldn't be much fun unless it's purely for a drag set-up. And that's not what I want.
So my original plan is out.

What's left is FI, which I'm actually about! I'm gonna throw Brian a bone here cuz despite being an *** 24/7 he's actually a pretty decent guy. (I know, I know...it pains me to say it too! ) If sensibility was an overpowering quality of mine I would without a doubt slap a TVS2300 on this motor. It's the most reliable, economical, and practical way of making power on most any street driven vehicle. It won't make the MOST power, or rock the world with 9 second passes, but for what my particular purposes require it would in fact be ideal.
But... I'm a turbo guy, always have been and always will be. Getting a TVS would be like throwing Ricky Martin a female, he wouldn't know what to do with it at first, it would intrigue him for a short while, might make him laugh and cry but he'll just as soon run back to the dick. I would enjoy it for a while but after a that I'd start ogling those spinning hair dryer things again.

SO...I'm back to building a FI motor, which is where it gets really complicated as of right now. Duttweiler wasn't too keen on my big cubes idea and as a matter of fact suggested I keep it under 440ci, and that was him being generous. For instance he had a 295ci motor on his engine dyno that was making something like 1600 hp @ 9500 rpm's!!
I forgot some of the specs and other specs I'll just keep to myself because it's not my motor or build to talk about but it did go 437.x mph at the salt flats recently!! I stared at the hot parts on that motor and having read a few turbo books I can tell you his work is not joke, the angle of wastegate runners to the primaries...check! Primary length calibrated for set pulse length rpm's...check! etc...
Anyways, back on track...This block might be overkill for what I'm looking to do...go figure! So I might be downsizing!
Anyways, it's a good thing I got a while to think about this, so there's more of this to follow.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:36 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

This thread sucks almost as bad as Julien
Old 04-06-2010, 08:42 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 378 Likes on 257 Posts

I never thought I would hear someone on this site say they need a smaller engine
Old 04-06-2010, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think its a good idea to go with a smaller cube turbo motor.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LsxCody
i think its a good idea to go with a smaller cube turbo motor.
I personally think something along the lines of a 414ci or 418ci with a healthy turbo would be plenty nasty. Or look at LMR and the results they had with a 408ci and a big turbo. My buddy had a 4L80E backed 403ci LS2 with a PT88 front mount in his 02 SS LE and it was beyond nasty. It laid down 700+rwhp on a conservative street tune with a 9 inch rear. Big cubes and high rpms are badass but I think the power you want can be had much more conservatively with a more reliable setup. It's your motor and truck though, so go with what you want. Smaller cubes and boost will definetly be more streetable than any solid roller setup though. Not to mention the fun factor.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:22 AM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Interesting thread... Personally I would stick with your current 370, maybe up the compression on it and throw a TV2300 and call it a day... But that is just me..
Old 04-06-2010, 11:52 AM
GFYS and STFU

Well, the proof is really in the pudding. (whatever that saying means! ) There's Jarrett and his 9.65 second 370, there's Flaco's 'lil sis' and it's 370ci motor and there is Casey's 402ci motor, all three of them are in the 9's. If I was building a conversation starter I would slap a pair of hair dryer's on a 482ci motor, but it would in the end cost 4x as much if not more, and not really give me all that much more to play with HP wise.
I've read a couple books, regarding turbo's and each one of them explain that turbo's love stoke, if not for the mechanical advantage aspect of it, the progression of the flame front in a boosted motor creates max pressure at X, etc... But from what Kenny said it's the the other way around, which is kinda why he wasn't too thrilled about the big cubes idea partly because of the bore to stroke ratio accompanied with it.
Corey I might just refresh my 370 or make it into a 402 or what not, up the compression and go from there. I already have two leads on hot parts, from two outstanding guys on here But I have to wait to see what else happens in the next few weeks.
Another thing to consider is because of the nature and dimensions of this block, custom intake and headers are needed.

Quick Reply: LSX Tall Deck 900hp motor build