PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Mizz SS

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2024, 09:56 AM
Teching In

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mizz SS

Hey all,

Wanted to share my new toy that I have been wanting to get for 15 long years. My uncle bought one of these when I had just got my license, and I've wanted a black SS ever since. Finally found this one for sale years ago, couldn't swing it and the guy decided to not sell it and it was gone. Years later I see the ad pop up again and I jumped on it.

2003 with an original 27K miles has a side mount Whipple (WIK-LQ4 2300 i believe?) which is alright, but plans to address it.

Threw a Corsa on it, and some proper lights in it and just been enjoying driving the hell out of it.

The following 6 users liked this post by mizzac:
ALL ULL C (07-26-2024), Bluecollar Hotrods (07-30-2024), Fullpower (07-26-2024), Jeff71 (07-26-2024), someotherguy (07-28-2024), TXsilverado (08-07-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-26-2024, 09:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 206 Likes on 165 Posts

Wow, that's awesome!
Old 07-26-2024, 10:01 AM
Teching In

Got the blend mount and R3 mounted, also got some clear headlights and some LEDS all around. These aren't your typical EBAY crap replacement, these are the newest of new, and the light is amazing. Even have a tight cut off similar to HIDS. If you're interested in similar things hit up HotShot Offroad and just tell them you want the same SS replacements. Went with Morimoto's for the low beam, and GTR for high beam. Turn signals, rears, and 3rd all got LED swap. Only downside is for the large fans on the LEDS, i had to trim back into the brackets where the headlights mount, but no noticeable issues with it and the light output is insanely better. Of course i forgot photos through most of the install process, and don't have any outputs ones because of the fun project below.

Old 07-26-2024, 10:03 AM
Teching In

Drove around for 9 months to shows and work on occasion, and was trying to chase down this misfire on 3 with the tuner.
New NGK plugs, wires good, coil packs good, yada yada. Finally gave and went to local performance shop and they said there is damage in all cylinders on pistons from detonation issues (bad tune?) and oil on 5&7 plugs so bad seals from sitting so long with previous owner inbetween drives.

SOOOOOOOOOOO

408 Stroker? Rebuild with a decent cam and throw the side mount whipple back on? OR upgrade to a newer model SC?
Transmission and everything else is bone stock, just wanting something that makes it a bit more special to drive, maybe a drag strip one day, but just a fun toy that migth as well get more power while w are in there.

Subjective question, but whats power expecations between those three options? Open to everyones input.
Old 07-26-2024, 12:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

Nice truck. I would sell that side mount and build a stroker
Old 07-26-2024, 12:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by terravast4
Nice truck. I would sell that side mount and build a stroker
Curious as to your reasons why?

I understand the sidemount being a less than ideal set up, no intercooling and such.

I'm trying to just wrap my head around the benefit/gains of a 408STRK vs rebuilding with a decent cam and going with something new like TVS2300 or 3.0 Whipple.

My last "performance" car was a 09 Z06 all stock, this is my first real dive into a motor build so still doing a ton of research.
Old 07-26-2024, 01:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,262 Likes on 964 Posts

I'd sell the side mount too

Stroker vs newer SC power wise the stroker will lose probably. I would build a stroker though.

Looks like a good truck. Very jealous.
Old 07-26-2024, 02:33 PM
Teching In

Appreciate it! Yea its been a dream truck of mine for a long time, i don't plan on this one ever going away (don't we all say that?).

Thanks for the input, this is my first dive into strokers as well, so trying to get more understanding of pro/cons to them both. I do love me some boost lol
Old 07-26-2024, 02:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mizzac
.......................decent cam and going with something new like TVS2300 or 3.0 Whipple.
Beautiful truck, nice score.
IF a TVS2300 is in your budget: DO IT !
. Mild camshaft, good valve springs, and modern, aftercooled BLOWER will be the smoothest, quietest, LONG term reliable daily driver, will make you smile everytime you push the pedal.
For long term, daily driver use it's hard to beat a 212/218 degree .551" ( Low Lift ) from Texas Speed, or Bran Tooley, or Summit with good springs, stock compression .
Push 12 pounds boost in the front , and HAVE FUN.
Old 07-26-2024, 04:22 PM
Launching!

Received 81 Likes on 65 Posts

If you just want to have a fun daily driver, sell the current supercharger and either:

Option NA (say 400-450whp goal):
Find a set of either CNC 243's or if you want to go square port CNC 823/821 (they should already have a nice .660 flavor valve spring if a reputable company went through them).
You can run a bushed OEM or shaft style OEM/BTR rocker that is not crazy money.
Call BTR to get a cam recommendation based on how you would like the truck to behave on the street. Remember to be honest that if drivability is most important then some performance sacrifice is the result.
I'd stick with stock intake or consider the FAST RT truck intake as it will pick up over the TBSS intake.
Replace torque convertor with something like a 2800-3000 as that will make a big difference
40k tru-cool tranmission cooler

Option B(oost) 500-550whp goal:
Find a set of LSA/LS9/823 heads (again a nice setup of .660 springs req'd)
Again, You can run a bushed OEM or shaft style OEM/BTR rocker
Bolt on an LSA from a CTSV or ZL1 (many ways to go about this but check out The W's thread on his trials in this section)
Put a mild boost cam in it
Again replace convertor with a 2800-3000 mild stall
40k tru-cool transmission cooler.
You'll need at minimum a bigger intank fuel pump.

Either scenario has good probability of pissing off your 4L60 so I would budget for either the tried and true 4L80 swap or pay a good amount for someone to give you a broken promise they'll build you a 4L60 that will live behind power.

Either way nice buy, I have an Arrival blue 03 I probably should have kept, was a damn clean truck.

Quick Reply: Mizz SS