PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

My family's Chevy Suburban

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey thanks man for the info on the wheels, would you happen to know what hubs I can easily swap on so I can fit the Gibbs wheels on? And yeah it will be a great chassis to build on. I already have a list of parts in my mind. Katskinz leather interior, RideTech full stage 2 air ride suspension with 4 link rear getting rid of the leafs, and the Gibbs wheels. Other than that idk what else right now.

I got a few questions tho. Does any one know what other interiors are direct swap? Or at least the dash? Just curious. Also what are some good options for diffs? I want an open diff but be able to lock it at the touch of a button or lever. Any websites or brands? Also the earlier question on the hubs necessary for Gibbs wheels.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

Lol ok so I just tire shined her and attempted to Back to Black all the plastics but holy crap they are thirsty after FIVE applications of the goop it still came out as a faded grey. Lol oh well I will have to work on it more when I get it back in Washington.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

anyone got any helpfull info on my previous questions?
Old 01-21-2012, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by BurntBurb
Hey thanks man for the info on the wheels, would you happen to know what hubs I can easily swap on so I can fit the Gibbs wheels on? And yeah it will be a great chassis to build on. I already have a list of parts in my mind. Katskinz leather interior, RideTech full stage 2 air ride suspension with 4 link rear getting rid of the leafs, and the Gibbs wheels. Other than that idk what else right now.

I got a few questions tho. Does any one know what other interiors are direct swap? Or at least the dash? Just curious. Also what are some good options for diffs? I want an open diff but be able to lock it at the touch of a button or lever. Any websites or brands? Also the earlier question on the hubs necessary for Gibbs wheels.
Simple means to get any 6 lug wheel to fit on the GMT 400's is this. Find a comparable bodystyle light duty 2500 2 wheel drive. They are easy to spot in the wreckers as they have 6 lugs versus 8 and come with a 7200# GVW. Swap the 9.5" 14 bolt diff ( you wanted an upgrade, bang you have it) and take the 6 lug rotors off of it. The rotors swap to your current trucks spindles with no mods using the existing brake calipers. The rear end will also swap in with no hassle beyond you requring a conversion u joint for the drive shaft to accomodate the 14 bolts larger yolk. The 2wd 14 bolt is the exact same overall width as your current trucks 10 bolt.

It's pretty easy to find that 14 bolt with 3.73's and a Gov Lock in them. The differential from a 4X4 will fit too ( either a 14 bolt equpped 1500 or again a light duty 6 lug 2500) but it's 1.5" wider per side. The factory 6 lug rims off the newer trucks set the rim in a lot further than the stock rims so the 4 wheel drive diff may work better for the rear. The front will require spacers to set the rims out further and make up for the offset difference. Measurement may be you your best friend depending on rim choice.

You can swap the 95 and newer dash in the truck but it's not "easy" lol. It is a direct swap however and everything fits. Seats, door panels, the whole 9 yards as the body did not change in the newer of the same bodystyle trucks. Which means Tahoes, Yukons, Suburbans and 2500/3500 trucks through the 2000 model year.

For a locker like you mentioned the Eaton E Locker fits the bill. I have no opinion on them as they have never been a consideration of mine so I can't help you there.

http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/publ.../ct_128302.pdf

If you are seriously going with bags you could run an ARB locker and they are bullet proof. They require an air compressor to operate however.. which is not a problem on a bagged truck. Not cheap but nothing good ever is.

Now just swap a 6 liter into it and let the old TBI 350 be the boat anchor it is and have a fun truck!

Last edited by 1994Vmax; 01-21-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:59 AM
On The Tree

Hey man thanks verry helpfull deffinanty gunna be doing somemore research on parts and adding to my future list thank you! aint worried about money considering I will not be selling it and I am going to take my time building it. I am **** about quality parts as well.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

Nice. I'll second that the 9.5" 14 blt is an easy swap. You don't even need a conversion u-joint if you grab the axle and driveshaft out of another 2wd suburban. Make sure and check it out with a tape measure though just to be safe. (This will also get you a larger yoke at the trans. end and larger u-joints throughout.) The 1500's with a towing package sometimes got 9.5" 14's also, so don't pass one by without looking underneath it. (and it may be cheaper because it's "only a 1/2 ton rearend" )

And those ARB's are damn near bulletproof. The only downside is they'll unlock if they loose air pressure, but that shouldn't be a worry in your application. They're expensive but you'll never have to worry about it. This isn't to say that the eaton e-locker isn't good, but ARB has been around a lot longer and if you have an air supply planned already, it's a good way to go.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

Yeah these ideas sound awesome! My goal is to have a fun, tough looking, bullit proof rig, and with all my ideas and your help I know I will have a sweet ride.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

Okay so I have picked up my Suburban down in Texas and drove it back to Washington. She was a dream driving back with no faults what so ever. Like I said befor I have huge plans for her but most of the big stuff will wait till I have my own shop space and money other than that I will be doing small mods here and there. I have already ordered new drivers door hinges which are totally shot, a new inside drivers door handle because the hinge on that is broken, and 2 new AC control *****. thats pretty much all the updates on her till I get the parts. I plan on full clay bar and waxing some time soon also polishing all the lights, need to repaint the washer arms.

and now for the pictures, thies are all the good pictures of her on the road trip back.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:54 PM
On The Tree

and here she is all de-bugged and clean.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

Glad to see there are others like me out there who have a soft spot for Suburbans! Truck looks great and best of luck to you!

Quick Reply: My family's Chevy Suburban