PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

My new DD

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My new DD

Well i have had this lil 94 dime sittin in the bushes for a while now and im needing a truck more and more these days, so i decided to fix it and sell my lil car when its rolling!!!!! Guy said it just lost power, and started taking it apart and lost interest. I dont think he changed the oil very often was the problem cause the rings were pretty much glued to the pistons like i had figured.

After the motor and tranny removal!!

Found er problem!!!! You cant see behind that motor mount but theres 3 freeze plugs along the side one one decided to rust out and he pretty much ran it without water...lol. So it was a host of things wrong with it.

Took a bath

And the heartbeat is gone!!!!!!!

Old 04-01-2011, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

got a few more parts and a little progress.

as of tonight the motor is back in the truck and mostly wired back up. i still need a few things, but its coming along pretty good.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice work. you cleaned that motor up pretty good.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

I'm not familiar with that motor. In the first picture the short block has a cam in it, and in the picture with the assembled motor hanging from a chain, the head is shaped like it has a cam in it, too.
Are you going with a turbo or a blower?
Old 04-02-2011, 01:29 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty neat, it'll be nice to be able to drive by a gas station without having to pull in and fill up every time I like the S-dimes, I have a 96 Blazer 4.3 myself
Old 04-02-2011, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks it was a pain to get the motor clean enough for paint!!!! Had to end up sealing it up and sand blasting it to get the flakey paint off.
This motor has the cam in the block, the head im guessing is a "tall deck" i think its called. It has 1.5 ratio rockers just plain ole stamped no bearings, but i think im going to upgrade to the new ones that have bearing fulcrum and are 1.6 ratio. Its like 8.5:1 compression motor, but i had to end up milling the head .007 - .008! Its going to be strictly a grocery getter to trade the place of my car i DD, and hope to get better MPG.
Im only goin to be doing e-fans, CAI, 2.5" exhaust, rockers, seats, UDP, and lower it a tad, maybe i will do a roll pan and hidden hitch but we'll see.

I have some 97 SS camaro wheels "white center" i want to run but i will have to put 2" spacers at min, so its a tossup on them right now.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:22 PM
TECH Veteran

I had do do a lot of searching to get any more info about that motor. I guess that they only made it for 2 or 3 years is why it snuck by me. The only info that I could find that didn't sound like internet hearsay, was a few recommendations to change the antifreeze often. It seems like some kind of reaction occurs in the cooling system that causes the freeze plugs to corrode.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea this particular motor was built from 94 til 97. Ive also heard about the antifreeze, but honestly every couple years a person should change it anyways.

These little trucks to me are the worst thing you could possibly have to work on, theres no room to get the starter off unless you remove the ex mani, motor mount, and support bar!!!! Coil packs are on pass side down behind the motor mount also!!
Old 04-02-2011, 08:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Hopefully you'll never have to touch that stuff. Should make a nice DD. Send me all your extra gas.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Heres a few more updates!!!

Finally got it running today and it ran great!! Had a few issues at first but got all that worked out and all i basically need now is a battery and air filter, waiting on temp sending unit for efans to come in