PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

My new powerplant (408 with a healthy direct port shot)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 10:36 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your build looks nice. I have a similar cam on the table but was kinda worried it may be too big. Keep us updated, I would like to see how your's does before changing mine.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Slow and steady. I am doing a very detailed write-up on SilveradoSS.com, doing it in two places is time consuming so if you would like to visit here is the link to my build:

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/in...howtopic=41925

MODERATORS: if the link violates any rules, please delete

Cut up my alt/PS bracket to allow for the FAST 92 intake as well as the coolant x-over tube and TB:

Ready to drop in after adding the motor mounts and removing the stand:

Installed all of the sensors (crank position, cam position, Oil pressure, knock...) as well as the LS6 valley cover:

The previous pic is a good one to see how I spaced out the EWP with 4 gaskets on each side. Any more spacing will require longer WP bolts IMO. I will be making some spacers however right now, I am focused on getting it up and running.

My belt routing was a little different here and should offer everyone a new option. My set-up consists of the meziere EWP for LS1 motors, Powerbond underdrive crank pulley (truck), Overdrive alt pulley, stock truck PS pump pulley, Area 51 idler relocation bracket and a 2005 Corvette idler pulley and stock truck tensioner. For spacing, I had to space out the EWP using 4 GM gaskets stacked and trim down the mounting surface on the stock truck tensioner by about 1/4 inch. The stock truck idler pulley would not work for me in that it did not let the belt clear the water neck on the EWP. I went with a smaller 2005 Corvette idler pulley however needed to use 3, 5/16 washers with the truck bolt to make it work with belt alignment. I also had to grind down the caps of the three bolts that mount the idller relo bracket as the bolts would not fall into the recessed area of the idler relocation bracket. After measuring I came up with an ideal belt length of 92.2 inches. I went with a Gatorback, part number is in the pic.

Here is a pic of where the smaller vette idler was needed to give clearance for the WP neck. I have a craftsman 15mm wrench between the neck and the belt for reference purposes and this pic is taken form the back of the motor to the front:

I spliced in some Ford Motorsport pigtails I had laying around instead of the MSD2400's to make the FAST injectors work:

Next up is the fuel system. I'll post up pics when I finish that up however here are some of the -AN fittings and fuel lines I will be using:

Last edited by krambo; 07-03-2008 at 07:53 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-03-2008, 01:25 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

Damn, that looks good. I think I just got a chubby..
Old 07-03-2008, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks really good, I like those Jegs AN wrenches. I almost bought some a while back when doing the Dune buggy, but couldn't justify the cost for one fitting lol. Lemme know how they work. Your setup looks damn clean
Old 07-03-2008, 11:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

very nice build!! what size converter are you going to use? are you going to shoot for the 10's?
Old 07-04-2008, 12:09 AM
Blown 427 LSX

wow i am speechless kevin... damn...

PM sent
Old 07-04-2008, 07:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice Kevin! I don't know that I will ever build an NA engine again.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ap2002
very nice build!! what size converter are you going to use? are you going to shoot for the 10's?

Converter will be a PI Vig 3200-3400 (I expect the flash much higher). The set-up will have every potential to be in the 10's however, I have always wanted a nasty NA "show" motor. I am a gearhead at heart so once I get this thing tuned, I will be shooting for an 11.99 on motor and ??? on the spray. This NA 408 produces the same HP as my radix/6.0 combo, just at different RPMs.

Figured that I will test the limits of the 65E before the 80E conversion.

Thanks for the comps guys. its a slow project but rewarding as well.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:09 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That all looks great Kevin. What are you going to use for the fuel pump? Just an upgraded in-tank pump? Same pump going to feed both the motor and direct port setup?

How much longer until you stab that baby back in?
Old 07-06-2008, 07:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigTex
That all looks great Kevin. What are you going to use for the fuel pump? Just an upgraded in-tank pump? Same pump going to feed both the motor and direct port setup?

How much longer until you stab that baby back in?

I will be using my exsisting fuel set-up from the Radix (Walbro in-tank and the booster in-line walbro, with stock lines - feed and return) to fuel the 408 however have added an Aeromotive FPR into the mix with the FAST components. The Nitrous fueling will be completely independent of the motor fueling (seperate fuel tank where the aux. battery would be, Aeromotive FPR, intank Walbro, fuel pressure safety switch etc.) I will post pics of that soon.

Once I receive my tranny back from FLT, I expect 4 weeks until rolling (or at least scaning and reflashing).

Quick Reply: My new powerplant (408 with a healthy direct port shot)