PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

My new powerplant (408 with a healthy direct port shot)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 01:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW i cant wait to see this thing finished. you are basically building my dream setup. i love a nitrous motor because you can have both a fast NA motor for the street and huge power on tap with the spray. Good luck
Old 08-04-2008, 11:07 PM
TECH Regular

this thing is sexy
Old 08-04-2008, 11:44 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW...increadible build! Why the decision on going from FI to Nitrous? It's obvious by those FW #'s that your not losing any power in the process but it's an odd direction to go.
Direct port 300 shot should put you at 1000 FWHP no?
Old 08-05-2008, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spoolin
WOW...increadible build! Why the decision on going from FI to Nitrous? It's obvious by those FW #'s that your not losing any power in the process but it's an odd direction to go.
Direct port 300 shot should put you at 1000 FWHP no?

I actually had plans on first a TVS 2300 set-up however costs and availability killed it. Then a turbo came into the mix however I didn't feel like messing with custom piping. I always wanted a nasty N/A set-up and felt that I could obtain the same power as my Radix'd cammed 6.0L with an aggressive (yet "somewhat" streetable) 408, the nitrous is just there for kicks (although I will see if the 65E will handle a pass down the 1/4 mile at full bore ...before the 80E swap).

Yes, I expect the FWHP to be 1000 on the juice.

Fuel set-up, Intake and Nitrous pictures soon. Gotta find some time to work on the truck!
Old 08-05-2008, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

should be jizztastic
Old 08-05-2008, 03:29 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks top notch for sure
Old 08-05-2008, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 08-18-2008, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

O.K. guys, a little update.

Intake. Well it is back from paint and nitrous plumbing. I figure I will show you the finished intake first and then talk about it so here is the 95% completed intake:

I also mocked up the intake on the motor just to be sure there wasn't any surprises:

So what do you think? Different? I was looking for something that was out of the ordinary and I feel this hits the spot. Just to clairify any confusion, yes, it is intended to look like a Black Widow sitting on top of a webbed intake. I sent the the FAST 92 intake to Dave's N/O where it was smoothed, painted black, a spider web airbursh and all burried under lots of clear. Pictures do not capture the details on this thing at all, gotta see it in person to really apreciate it. Dave's Nitrous Outlet made the custom solenoids, bent the lines and tapped the ports. Quality job all around. Right now, I have the 175 jets in there to start however this set-up can effectively spray 400 HP to the wheels...so I can, if I dare make well north of 1,000 HP at the crank.

I also mocked up my dedicated fuel system tank:

I ran out of $$$ really so I have to use the blue and red -AN fittings that The Nitrous Outlet used until I scrape up some funds to make it all the anodized red and black. The tank is 1 gal, has a walbro FP, Aeromotive FPR and -6AN fuel lines. I will be wiring this up to a relay activated from in the cab on a master nitrous system control panel. I may do a trick intake set-up which will free up the Air-box location, so I may relocate this tank there. I am just a little nervous about having a fuel tank in the unprotected area of the front of the truck. I am not even sure on the NHRA rules on this one as well. May have to relocate to the bed.

Random picture of the injector install. I used spray silicone to lube the O-rings so they seat well and do not pinch / tear!

I did a -8AN X-over from the driver's side to the passenger side. I used Black Russel pro-flex hose along with red and black "anno-tuf" hose ends. I F'd one fitting because i was impatient and used one AN wrench and a standard adjustable. Do yourself a favor and use the soft Al AN wrenches only otherwise you will gall the finish easily. Each hose end was about $20...count them up, it is not cheap at all so do it right the first time! Use sealant on the threads and assembly oil on the hose connections.

The FAST fuel rails are embossed O-ring -8AN fittings. I added a little silicone to the O-rings and thread sealant to the threads. Careful not to overtighten, the fuel rails are another not cheap part! I went out and purchased black Aeromotive -8AN EOR to -6AN reducer on the rear of the fuel rails to save fittings and keep the already tight space behind the intake as free as possible. The Aeromotive FPR is on the passenger fuel rail end and mounts and looks great!

Last edited by krambo; 08-18-2008 at 08:44 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-18-2008, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

O.k. Headers. I will be using Bellanger and I am quite happy with the build quality. Welds are nice, O2 placement is ideal IMHO and the coating looks beautiful. They are a true tri-Y design as seen in the pictures.

The only thing I am not too sure about is the collectors. They have some kind of baffle in there that may prove to be somewhat restrictive for the CFM I will be pumping. Time will tell however as soon as I get some extra cash, I may cut off the collectors and have some custom 3" ones made. I wish the Kooks would fit the AWD system. I will be first in line for a 2 inch primary and 3 inch collector long tube that will work with the AWD.

Here is the collector:

Here is a final side picture of progress so far. I didn't bolt down the intake yet since I have to do some fuel connections yet and may also keep it off until the tranny is here. I may need the extra room to get at some of the tranny bolts...

This project is taking WAAAYYYY longer than I expected however I feel the final product will be something I can be proud of that not too many people will have. God, I can't wait to clean up the underhood, bolt up the valve covers and other window dressing and get tuning this pig!

Last edited by krambo; 08-18-2008 at 08:15 AM.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:09 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh yeah. thats a freakin thing of beauty! Definitely first class!

Quick Reply: My new powerplant (408 with a healthy direct port shot)