PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

My turbo build..

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeshow
I can't exactly speak for water cooled turbos because I've never used one, but the rubber hose on that barb fitting might get a little angry with all the heat coming off that thing... I used some rubber hose at first and it leaked a little bit because of the heat-hardened rubber hose. Spaced the hose away from the center section with some fittings, but it still hardened the rubber a bit.
Hhh, I didn't really think that much of the heat coming off the turbo, its my first turbo build so im kind of learning as I go. Ill run it and keep a close eye on it, may have to go to AN fittings and steel braided lines.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

wow jake. its coming along REALLY good. you have done a **** load of work. it all looks really good. wish i could help you out with it
Old 12-05-2011, 12:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake99
Hhh, I didn't really think that much of the heat coming off the turbo, its my first turbo build so im kind of learning as I go. Ill run it and keep a close eye on it, may have to go to AN fittings and steel braided lines.
I used a steel braided lines with an fittings for feed and return. I like the look of it more than plain black rubber. the kit looks real clean and simple should make damn good power. How big is the downpipe?
Old 12-05-2011, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys, yeah I may end up changing the cooler lines yet, right now im just trying to get it all together and ill work the bugs out as i go, the down pipe is 3.5in the hole way from the turbo throw the 3.5 dyna tech muffler to the side exit exhaust.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got my cam and springs installed today, just need to pressure test my hot pipe yet and put it together for the last time, I hope.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:10 PM
Laid Back

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

How you planning on pressure testing the the hot pipe?
Old 12-10-2011, 10:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smokeshow
I can't exactly speak for water cooled turbos because I've never used one, but the rubber hose on that barb fitting might get a little angry with all the heat coming off that thing... I used some rubber hose at first and it leaked a little bit because of the heat-hardened rubber hose. Spaced the hose away from the center section with some fittings, but it still hardened the rubber a bit.
Thats right. I ran AN fittings into the turbo. Then using AN hose end fittings and Earls Pro-Lite 350 hose. So, the hose itself was a good 1.5-2 inches away fromt he CHRA. It didn't matter though. After about a year and a half I started getting coolant leaks at the hose ends because the hose had gotten so hot it was breaking down the rubber. When I took the hose ends off the hose the hose just crumbled in my hands. I have since gone down to a Parker Store and had the turbo coolant hoses made for me using stainless braided teflon. I haven't had any coolant leak problems since.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Beatdown Z
How you planning on pressure testing the the hot pipe?
I was just going to block off the ends and pressure it up with an air hose and use a spray bottle to check for leaks.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bill Reid
Thats right. I ran AN fittings into the turbo. Then using AN hose end fittings and Earls Pro-Lite 350 hose. So, the hose itself was a good 1.5-2 inches away fromt he CHRA. It didn't matter though. After about a year and a half I started getting coolant leaks at the hose ends because the hose had gotten so hot it was breaking down the rubber. When I took the hose ends off the hose the hose just crumbled in my hands. I have since gone down to a Parker Store and had the turbo coolant hoses made for me using stainless braided teflon. I haven't had any coolant leak problems since.
Ok, sounds like ill be changing it to braided lines real soon. Ill use this to get me started sence its there and look into getting some better lines.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Little more work done saterday, got the hot pipe pressure tested and sealed up then i also got the hot pipe and down pipe all heat wrapped, got the manifolds, hot pipe, waist gate, turbo, turbo plumbing, and down pipe all put on for the finial time. So I hope to get the cold side all put together during the week and maybe Ill get to fire her up for the first time saterday.. guess well see how it gos.

Quick Reply: My turbo build..