PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Oakley's History Lesson and Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 07:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just didn't see how the stock hose would work. I did bent it a bit but it was getting to the point where the hose was getting to short. It was just too close to the turbo and I never could get the compressor side of the hose to bolt up. My oil return line drops strait down in front of the compressor.

The oil fill tube sits right up against the exhaust housing. I am just able to slip the turbo blanket in between the fill and the housing. I probably have 5,000 miles on this set up.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:31 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

FWIW, I had my oil fill cap like that and it melted pretty quickly. You can take it off the tube and take the tube off the valve cover and put the cap directly on the valve cover to gain a lot of clearance.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

Can you not use the 45 at the compressor and route the hose towards the fender and go around the outside of the turbo assembly up to the accumulator and use the 90 there?

Last edited by BigKID; 06-20-2014 at 03:53 PM. Reason: looked closer at the pics
Old 06-20-2014, 05:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Atomic
FWIW, I had my oil fill cap like that and it melted pretty quickly. You can take it off the tube and take the tube off the valve cover and put the cap directly on the valve cover to gain a lot of clearance.
Yea that was the plan, but I never got to it when I put the turbo kit on. It has about 5,000 miles on it this way and it hasn't melted anywhere. I'll roll with it until I need to change it. The turbo blanket seems to be doing a really good job.

Originally Posted by BigKID
Can you not use the 45 at the compressor and route the hose towards the fender and go around the outside of the turbo assembly up to the accumulator and use the 90 there?
So you mean just make a hose exactly like the stock one but longer so it doesn't hug the turbo? I have a -10an oil return line from the turbo that comes down right in line with the suction inlet on the compressor. And I don't really want to change that line or have the A/C line come from under the turbo. There is just a lot of heat there with the log, downpipe, and ex. housing. Also you can see how close the 45* fitting on the accumulator is to the downpipe. If I put a 90* right there, it really wouldn't add any more room since I would have to turn it the opposite way to face the passenger fender.

The way I decided to go was to have the 90 come off the compressor, up behind the water pump, and then have a 45 coming off of the V6 accumulator. It will look super clean, and won't be anywhere close to any hot parts. Should turn out really well and hopefully I'll be blowing ice cubes sometime next week.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Found a complete hydroboost kit at the junkyard for $100. Thought that was a steal so I will go down there and pick it up when I get my suction line crimped. Both businesses are close to each other so I'll knock it out at the same time. Hopefully I will be able to build some more boost at the line and bring my 2.2 second 60' down. Looks like a super easy swap too.

Tomorrow I'll get a new V6 accumulator and orifice tube. That way I'll be able to mock up the suction hose. Can't wait to get everything back together. Still need a compressor but I think I will go to LKQ and pick up a used one for $85.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

I got everything buttoned up tonight. Got a lot done today actually. I had House of Hose bubble crimp my custom line early this morning. On my way there, I stopped off and picked up my hydrobooster from the junkyard, and a compressor from LQK. So I got the entire A/C system in and bolted up. I really like how the suction line came out. Not even close to the turbo and it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb like I thought it would. Check it out:

Name:  9B1C0828-03AC-4656-8259-8C800F2153B8_zpsdxhvgnli.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  91.5 KB

Name:  E3F85750-593F-4115-8920-E9F65D16924E_zpsrh0k6zoc.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  107.7 KB

So tonight I'm going to return the flush kit and rent a vacuum pump. I'll put a good vacuum on it in the AM and charge it. Kind of stupid but I'm pretty excited. Been a while since I've driven the truck. Here is a pic of the hydrobooster I picked up. Looks pretty clean to me. That is the next obstacle I'll tackle.

Name:  C97BAE60-4523-4106-A573-0FF7B13E2D64_zpsjlbzofmr.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  112.1 KB
Old 06-24-2014, 11:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Engine bay looks really good man. I've driven in one summer out here with no AC and I'll never do it again. Haha. Hope to see u driving it around someday.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well I got it done this morning. Pulled a good vacuum for about 45 minutes. Left to get some E85 since the truck was empty. When I came back, the high and low side readings were still in the same spots. Low was around -28 inHg and the high side was pegged as low as it could. Started charging it and when the compressor kicked on for the first time, the fans didn't. So maybe I changed the A/C settings in the tune or some thing when I took all the parts out of the truck. I'll have to look into that when I get home on my other computer.

I set up a stationary fan in front of the truck and continued to charge it. When it was all said and done, pressures were around 50-55 on the low side and 300-335 on the high side. A/C blows ice cubes now So I'll have to figure out a spot for the trans cooler and then I can drive it.

Originally Posted by JiggyJay09
Engine bay looks really good man. I've driven in one summer out here with no AC and I'll never do it again. Haha. Hope to see u driving it around someday.
Yea ever since it got hot, the truck just sits. I love driving it so A/C became a priority again fast BTW I live out in the north west so keep an eye out.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oakley6575
The body shop had the truck for 3-4 months. While it was there I decided to have them shave the handles, tailgate, weld in the roll pan, and add a new hood. Here is the first day I got it back home.

That summer I got a hard-on for autometer gauges. So I built an autometer gauge cluster with all Ultra Lite II’s with a plexiglass bolt in housing. Was a fun project and was pretty rewarding once I got all of them to function.

From there I got tired of the unreliability of the sbc. It seemed like I had a new problem every week. While I like working on it, I was busy with school so I needed a change. To make it more of a daily driver, I bought an LQ4 out of a crashed 03 2500. It came from back east so it didn’t look too great when I got it.

Plans were to tear it completely down and do a mild rebuild. Clean up the block, change all bearing, seals, gaskets. Well that plan went down the ******* as soon as I got working on it. I thought, well I might as well throw a stroker crank in while I have it apart. Then I thought, well I might as well go all forged incase I want to go fast later down the road. So my original plan snowballed into a N/A forged 408 with LS3 heads/intake, and healthy daily driver cam. I backed it by a built 4l80e I had laying around the shop, and paired it with a 245mm yank 3200 SST converter. Here are some pics of that process.

And finished engine bay:

I fully built the bottom end of this motor to handle some power. I ran out of money by the end of the build. I threw some budget LS3’s on there and a matching LS3 car intake that I bought off eBay for $250. Besides the rotating assembly and cam/springs, everything in this engine is stock from the factory. First day I drove it, I took it down to the dealership for the tune. When I got it back from the tuner it completely ran like **** and I was pretty disappointed. I bought HP Tuners and have been at it ever since. Here is the dyno sheet from the dealership. Nothing special

So the work continues on the truck. I plan on hitting 500rwhp N/A before I put any kind of boost through it. Also before boost, I think I will play with nitrous. I don’t have much plans for that yet as my main focus is the 500rwhp mark. Right now I have an order in with Tony Mamo for a fully ported FAST LSXR. I’m hoping for another 30 hp from that. I also need to get the heads ported. I’m thinking I will go with a WCCH stage II.

Sorry for the drawn out intro but now you guys can see the mods done up to this point of the build.
your dissapointed with over 400 hp??? thats all i want lol
Old 06-28-2014, 01:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Z71Kid
your dissapointed with over 400 hp??? thats all i want lol
I thought it was pretty weak for a 408ci but it ran good. Come to find out, WOT AFR was mid to low 14's on that dyno run. The tuner was a quack. So it was probably running around 450rwhp when I first built it.

Quick Reply: Oakley's History Lesson and Build Thread