PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Oakley's History Lesson and Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 08:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also pulled the 408 out and tore it down to a bare block. I pulled the crank out and am looking for someone to turn it. Every journal is trashed from when I spun a rod bearing. Hopefully it will clean up with 0.010" but I don't know. Anyone have suggestions on where to send it?[/QUOTE]

Let me know if you need anything I do ALOT of them.. I suggest resizing the rods, grind the crank and check for straitness (I once had one bent three ways pulled from a running engine, align hone the block and pin the caps, and do a balance check. If you want your welcome to send it all here and I'll send you back assembled shortblock... I stand behind them for 90days after oil system is primed, and as long as it's within 6months you recieved it. Pm me if you have ?'s
Old 10-10-2014, 10:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I work on all my own stuff man but thanks for the offer. I'm not sure what to do about the rods. Not sure who I should have look at them. I PM'd texas speed and they said they only work on new parts
Old 10-11-2014, 11:36 AM
TECH Resident

Ok no worries thought I'd help ya out. My machinist is very good, he has turbo LS cars as well and races drag week with them.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Get anything done over the weekend?
Old 10-15-2014, 03:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 69Camaro427
Get anything done over the weekend?
No I was out of town and sick over the weekend. I started a side job this week that is taking all of my time. I'm kind of nervous that I won't get the kit wired and working before the races on Friday. I might have to remove the nozzles from the intake and run without the meth. We'll see though
Old 10-16-2014, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm sure you will find time!

So the new fuel rails allow the injectors to obtain a larger volume of fuel on the same pump, line sizes, etc. My question, will this extra fuel help increase boost to 13-14psi? or what boost level would be possible on 91-93 with more than enough fuel volume, to wear octane levels become the factor?
Old 10-16-2014, 08:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well the part I've been waiting on all week didn't show up like it should today. So now I have to wait till noonish tomorrow until it shows up to get that installed and wired. I have tomorrow morning to get the entire meth kit wired up too. I was hoping the part would show up today so I could get it installed, wired, and start tuning tonight. Super frustrating for me.

Originally Posted by 69Camaro427
I'm sure you will find time!

So the new fuel rails allow the injectors to obtain a larger volume of fuel on the same pump, line sizes, etc. My question, will this extra fuel help increase boost to 13-14psi? or what boost level would be possible on 91-93 with more than enough fuel volume, to wear octane levels become the factor?
Think about how I had my fuel system plumbed before the new rails. I had a returnless rail on my NNBS intake. From the fuel pump, I had a -6an feed that went to the FPR on my firewall. After going through the FPR, the feed came out to the returnless rail. So the fuel was being regulated before the rail. With that happening, the rail didn't see any volume except what was there at 58psi. So when I went into boost, the fuel system couldn't provide the volume I needed through the regulator and -6AN line. at 12psi of boost, fuel pressure should have gone from 58psi to 70psi and held there. Well it would get to about 62psi and then steadily decrease pressure. So I had to command a lot more fuel in the VE than was actually needed to make up for the pressure loss.

Now I have the fuel pump feeding the -8AN fuel rails first, then to the FPR. So there isn't a shortage of volume at high RPM anymore and it is able to keep pressures where they should. Now the truck holds 70psi of fuel steady at WOT. As soon as I noticed fuel pressure was good, I upped boost pressure to 13-14 lbs but not above that yet. So I have 13psi tuned perfectly right now and will probably just leave the meth kit unplugged for tomorrow night. I need at least a few hours to really dial in the VE at WOT. Since it is perfect now without meth, I will just leave it and tune for the meth some other time. Really sucks buy all these parts and work on the truck just for this last track outing and then miss the deadline but life goes on. I should be able to sneak into the 11's without meth anyway.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:06 PM
Slowest turbo build ever!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll get it man! I don't see why you can't. Foose was running what, 16-18psi and was in the high 10s with his 4.8?
Old 10-16-2014, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

He was running 23+psi on E85 and running 10.15 ET or something like that when it blew. I'm still on strait pump gas and 13psi so I'm nowhere near his level yet. Just need a fuel system upgrade and I will be though.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:09 PM
Slowest turbo build ever!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

True. That meth kit would allow you to get into 11s easily. Sucks your part wont be in, in time.

Quick Reply: Oakley's History Lesson and Build Thread