PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Oakley's History Lesson and Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea you should pass through the finish after around peak horsepower when the trans is 1:1. Change gear ratios if you have to shift into overdrive
Old 11-09-2014, 02:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Alright so I've been doing a lot of thinking on which way I want to take the truck now. I think I have a pretty good idea. Since I'm at the point where I can start cranking up the boost, traction is my biggest problem. I sold my 15" cragars in favor of something lighter and I've been debating on if I should order bogarts or do the 5 lug conversion.... Since I drive my truck a ton and want to run my 315/60 Mickeys most of the time, I decided to go with the 5 lug conversion. I don't want to order $1700 Bogarts and worry about scratching or beating them on on the street. So I'm going to go 5 lug and order some cheap racestars. 15x10 for the rears, 17x7's for the fronts. That should reduce my rotation weight by a lot and provide me with some traction for high boost levels. Parts I need:

Racestar wheels
Moser 5 lug axles
Redrilled rotors front and rear
Timken front hubs

Next I really want to get my suspension squared away. My lowering kit has always bugged the **** out of me. I have it as low as I can go in the rear and it just isn't cutting it for me. I'd like it to be at least an inch lower. So I am going to take the shackles and hangers out of my truck and just put a flip kit on it. I already have the frame notched so it will be really inexpensive to do and will look a ton better IMO. Up front I think I will pull the trigger on some ridetech coilovers. Should ride a **** ton better and give me some adjustability. I've always hated how bouncy the front end of my truck is with the drop springs. Next I'll need to relocate my rear shocks. I don't plan on doing that for a while but it needs to be done. Parts I need:

Western Chassis flip
stock shackles
Ridetech coilover shocks
Hyperco coilover springs

Not sure where I will start but I'm going to order parts soon. Haven't worked on the truck in a while so I'm getting the itch.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:57 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Do you have a welder or access to one?

how much rear drop are you wanting?
Old 11-09-2014, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Do you have a welder or access to one?

how much rear drop are you wanting?
I want the rear to sit level or just under the top of my 315's which are 30" tall. So I want 1-1.5" lower in the rear. The front sits pretty close to perfect right now. I just want it to ride better and have the adjustably the coil overs will provide.

I have a big esab welder. Why do you ask?
Old 11-09-2014, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are your plans for remounting the shock going to be parallel behind the axel, like a 4 link set up?

Will the flip kit do anything to help traction, or is it just for looks/ride height?
Old 11-09-2014, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did your traction bars make the rear a lot stiffer/rougher, I thinking about ordering some when I finally get around to putting the tru trac in.

My one leger can't hook up for crap from 0-20, and I don't know if the tru trac will be enough or not. Probably going to stay with 3.42s love the mpgs
Old 11-09-2014, 03:35 PM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by oakley6575
I want the rear to sit level or just under the top of my 315's which are 30" tall. So I want 1-1.5" lower in the rear. The front sits pretty close to perfect right now. I just want it to ride better and have the adjustably the coil overs will provide.

I have a big esab welder. Why do you ask?
I would do a flip kit like i did. Basically you buy mew axle saddles ($20). Weld those to the axle. Then lower the rear leaf spring mounting point. I lowered my 2in to give me a 4in drop using factory shackles. I could add some drop shackles to go lower if i wanted. It also allows better angles out of my assasin bars. Currently i have mine point down towards the front. I relocated my rear shocks using adjustable mounts which are welded to the axle. I use factory length shocks out back.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 69Camaro427
Are your plans for remounting the shock going to be parallel behind the axel, like a 4 link set up?

Will the flip kit do anything to help traction, or is it just for looks/ride height?
Yes, I'll either make my own brackets or just buy some from summit to weld to the axle tubes. I'm doing the flip just to get the ride height where I want it.

Originally Posted by 69Camaro427
Did your traction bars make the rear a lot stiffer/rougher, I thinking about ordering some when I finally get around to putting the tru trac in.
Yea the traction bars make the rear stiff. I run a little preload on my bars so its stiff all the time.

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
I would do a flip kit like i did. Basically you buy mew axle saddles ($20). Weld those to the axle. Then lower the rear leaf spring mounting point. I lowered my 2in to give me a 4in drop using factory shackles. I could add some drop shackles to go lower if i wanted. It also allows better angles out of my assasin bars. Currently i have mine point down towards the front. I relocated my rear shocks using adjustable mounts which are welded to the axle. I use factory length shocks out back.
I'm lowered 5" in the rear right now so I'll need at least 6" which is what the standard flip will give me. So theres no need to lower the rear mounting bracket. But you are saying it puts the assassin bars in a better position? Can you elaborate on that?
Old 11-11-2014, 01:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just got a pretty good deal on wheels IMO. They will be shipping out Monday so hopefully I have them next week sometime. I also have a set of Moser 5 lug axles on the way. They will be delivered monday. So I plan to tear the rear end up this weekend, swap back to my 3.42s and have everything ready to slide the new axles in and button her up. The second my wheels come in, I'll have them mounted on either the 315s I have now or some new 295s. If anyone wants my pretty much brand new 315s, I have them for sale in the classified section here. Next I need to order new front tires for the 17x7 wheels and the 5 lug hubs. Then I can work on the suspension.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:22 PM
Resident Retard

3.42s? why?

Quick Reply: Oakley's History Lesson and Build Thread