PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

OBS 97 Z71 05 5.3 and Radix Swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 08:34 AM
twin terbies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From Leander huh? I am from Round Rock, but spend a lot of time in cedar park. Looks good.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by turboescalade
yea, I made sure to send all the polished pieces with it. and i'm positive I threw in the support. The pulley is a 6 rib 2.8 I had bought from westers garage where i was getting the truck tuned
Do you recall what box you put the support into? I will look through it all again, but I do not think I have It, and there was no holes on the boxes. I will double check though to be sure tomorrow morning. I do however have the 2 bolts for it. As far as the rails go...That is what was on the setup when I recieved it.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by james8997
wow, i just spent 20 min reading through this thread. few things,

1st off, thank you for serving for out country, my hat is off to you

now for the questions, the harness you used, was it a plug n play deal?
it looks like your using the black box PCM, will you be switching to the 0411 pcm? the black box pcm has a rev limiter of 5800 RPM, i dont think any tuner has been able to break that.

who is gona tune it?

i also have a 97 Z71, hell same color

how are you gonna get you stock tach to work? thanks
I am going to get an aftermarket tach, but I believe you can get an interface box to get the stock one to work if you like. As far as the pcm goes, I am using the stock one that came with the engine and it's harness. I am not sure which one it is, but I will be ok with the 5,800 rev limit if it is locked in...atleast for now anyway. That is a clean looking truck you have there btw. Thanks for the support too, I apreciate that.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, so after working a few days we got a 4 day weekend this weekend for the holiday, and I am trying to get it all wrapped up by the end of that.

Today I got the Y pipe installed, and it fits great! It is a stock piece with magnaflow high flow cats.

Then I managed to get the core support cleaned, painted, and installed along with the radiator, fans, double radiator for the heat exchanger, and the trans cooler. I mounted the headlights, and re ran the harness for the lights and plugged in what I could. Finally modified the hood latch bracket, and mounted it and attached the release cable.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Resident

are the puller fans still mounted to the intercoolers?
Old 02-12-2010, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I need to find the routing for the heat exchanger hoses and pump location. Either turboescalade or moregrip any info on this would be greatly apreciated. Also the wiring that was with this kit...where did it all go?
Old 02-12-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS
are the puller fans still mounted to the intercoolers?
Yes they are...just havent ran the wires yet from them.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:09 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

originally (the harness we built), would have taken power from a keyed on source using a 3 relay configuration that would provide constant power to the dual heat exchanger fans and the intercooler pump. Hookup would have been power and ground (easy) with the 2 fans and I/C pump plugging right in.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by moregrip
originally (the harness we built), would have taken power from a keyed on source using a 3 relay configuration that would provide constant power to the dual heat exchanger fans and the intercooler pump. Hookup would have been power and ground (easy) with the 2 fans and I/C pump plugging right in.
What I have sounds like that...there are 3 relays, but I will have to take some pics to show it to you, and then maybe you can advise me better on this? What about the hoses? Intercooler to tank, tank to blower, and pump? Pump location in this system?
Old 02-12-2010, 07:30 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by exodus
What I have sounds like that...there are 3 relays, but I will have to take some pics to show it to you, and then maybe you can advise me better on this? What about the hoses? Intercooler to tank, tank to blower, and pump? Pump location in this system?
hoses will need to exit on the passenger side, any 5/8" heater hose will work (just don't get the red stuff please), I had the I/C pump mounted directly below the Canton tank (not sure if you have the room/your call there).

upper barb is entry point, lower barb is exit point to I/C pump, and drain valve

Quick Reply: OBS 97 Z71 05 5.3 and Radix Swap