PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

potato land build, 9's@140+ is the goal

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 01:14 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

First you bail on the blower.........now this.

I demand you redeem yourself somehow.....
Old 05-15-2016, 03:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, sell fell through. I'm ordering a new flt lvl4 Trans aND a circle d converter this next week. It's time to see what she can do.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sucks the sale fell through, but glad to see your still interested in it!

I'm curious to see your times. What are you expecting to see? 10.80's?

What tranny problems have you been having? Are you putting in a tbrale or just staying with the foot brake?

I just got my new boost controller and I am finally going to start turning mine up. I'm sure my t4 S480 will be my hold back. But I'm going to give it hell anyways.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AkSSS
Sucks the sale fell through, but glad to see your still interested in it!

I'm curious to see your times. What are you expecting to see? 10.80's?

What tranny problems have you been having? Are you putting in a tbrale or just staying with the foot brake?

I just got my new boost controller and I am finally going to start turning mine up. I'm sure my t4 S480 will be my hold back. But I'm going to give it hell anyways.
im expecting 10.3 or faster and around 135mph on 22+ psi with this 408. i keep burning up clutches in the 80e, i just dont think the local builder im using is very experienced with building a trans to hold this power and i also think i need a loser stall so im not on the brake for so long. will see what happens
Old 05-15-2016, 03:26 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 378 Likes on 257 Posts

Burning the intermediates im guessing? Those usually take the most beating in the 80s. Have to set them up just about as tight as you can for them to live with high power. The stock spec is way too wide.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:58 AM
8 Second Truck Club

I don't know squat about transmissions. It is certainly the part of the hobby that I know least about (unless you ask George), but I'll add this as it seems to pertain....

Back when my truck was on the street (iron 346/d1sc combo) I ran a level 4 4l80e from FLT. The thing seemed bullet proof. At the time of this story, truck was consistantly 11.00's to 11.20's at the track around 122 mph @ 4700 lbs. and I was roll racing with the converter locked in 3rd, locked on the shift to 4th and kept it locked.

When I upgraded to the 8 rib set up and big fuel system I decided to dial it in on a dynojet chassis dyno before beating on it on the street cause I was gonna get in trouble or crash. Anyway, the changes netted boost of about 23 psi and an estimated 750 rwhp. So I went to the dyno before even driving the thing, made 3 pulls and something in the trans was slipping bad enough I left. Got home that night, yanked the trans, dropped it off at Circle D the next morning and told them I needed a rebuild that day as I was trying to make a race the following day. I told them, tear it down, don't change anything, slam some clutches in it and call me when it's done. Those dudes where so cool I got a call 5 hrs later and it was done. He showed me the clutch pack (I think he said for 3rd and 4th gear) and they where burned up.

Long story short, put the trans back in the truck that night. Finished at 1am....took it for a test drive before loading on the trailer and something was major wrong. As soon as I would put it gear and start rolling the torque converter clutch would lock up and the truck wouldn't shift right. I obviously didn't make the race so next day I dropped the trans pan and replaced the TCC solenoid with a genuine GM unit and all was perfect again.

Sorry for the long story, but I concluded that the dyno is what did the damage. At the time I didn't have a ton of experience dynoing stuff with really loose converters and I was trying to start the pull at 3000 rpm with the clutch locked and I don't think it liked it.

I went on to probably put another 2000 miles on it and probably 40 track passes then it was pulled and sold during the race build.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:00 AM
8 Second Truck Club

My FLT trans was build while vince was still there. I have never done business with them since he left so can't really comment on their current products. Vinny was certainly the man over there for a while.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the feed back, so from what im reading your saying you had a good experience with your flt you just dont know now since vince left? its always my first to second gear shifting that gets screwed up and i think its because i have to stay on the brake so long to lite the turbo from a dig. maybe you guys can help me out here on choosing a converter because i really dont want to do this again for a while.i pretty sure im going with circle d it seems they work with FLT allot and will ship my converter to them so they can dyno the converter on the trans before i get it shipped to me. i wish a could afford a flt lvl5 but thats not in the cards right now plus i rarely track the truck its more for weekend fun.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:06 AM
8 Second Truck Club

I'm sure if quality fell off when Vince left we would have heard about it by now. I know several folks where concerned at the time, but it appears that a good portion of his knowledge stayed with the company. However, I couldn't tell you for sure as I switched from FLT to Rossler and until Carl dies........thats where I will stay.

One little note I left out in the story above. Remember how I told Circle D not to change anything and just put clutches in it.............I told them this because I was very satisfied and my trans tuning was 100% perfect. The problem with the TCC solenoid was from the trash that got run through the thing when the clutches burned up. So really that was my fault. I was in a rush which put them in a rush. Typical "in a rush" problem.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

who is doing the tuning on your trans ?

Quick Reply: potato land build, 9's@140+ is the goal