PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Project "Blown HD" my 6/8 drop/shortblock/heads/cam/blower/tranny install

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 08:14 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet potatoes! I hope that helps lower them, I've neen considering a similar setup.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:03 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great job Grip! I can't recall seeing H/E's installed in such a way, but it looks like packaging will work very nicely

Smart looking setup.

Richard
Old 08-29-2007, 11:09 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard@WCCH
Great job Grip! I can't recall seeing H/E's installed in such a way, but it looks like packaging will work very nicely

Smart looking setup.

Richard
Thanks Richard, it's an idea I've been kicking around for a while and it allows me to run a monster tranny cooler up top I took the angle of the mounting brackets, threw a bubble on top, angled the H/E's until it showed level, marked it with a sharpie, done deal

Last edited by moregrip; 08-29-2007 at 11:15 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:44 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by whitt1
Drivers side inlet would be correct.I like the parallel setup it doubles the actual cooling capacity,but I would go with a on/off switch for the fans so you can run them with the engine switched off between runs at the track. Running them in traffic would be a waste.I also would not run antifreeze just water and water wetter,I doubt freezing is a concern in southern Cal.
While freezing temps won't be a problem, corrosion will. Using only a water wetter will not provide any corrosion protection. Use some green antifreeze to get the corrosion protection.

Your heat exchangers are in series on the airflow side, so you need to be in series on the water side also for maximum efficiency. The front exchanger will receive cooler ambient temperature air while the rear exchanger will (for the most part) see the warmer air from the front exchanger. Run your hot water into the rear exchanger first, then into the cooler front exchanger. This assumes that your pump has sufficient pressure to provide full flow in series operation. Series flow will reduce your piping cross sectional area by 50% compared to parallel flow, so series is more restrictive and requires a good pump with sufficient "head" (pressure) to overcome the reduction in cross sectional area.

The quality and workmanship of your project continue to amaze me. Everything is first class. Keep up the good work!

Yogi
Old 08-30-2007, 09:15 AM
FormerVendor

Looks great all mounted up, very nice packaging!!!
Old 08-30-2007, 10:16 AM
TECH Addict

Grippy,
Can you post up a picture of your Evens water pump.
Thanks
Mark
Old 08-30-2007, 10:20 AM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by Yogi Bear
While freezing temps won't be a problem, corrosion will. Using only a water wetter will not provide any corrosion protection. Use some green antifreeze to get the corrosion protection.

Your heat exchangers are in series on the airflow side, so you need to be in series on the water side also for maximum efficiency. The front exchanger will receive cooler ambient temperature air while the rear exchanger will (for the most part) see the warmer air from the front exchanger. Run your hot water into the rear exchanger first, then into the cooler front exchanger. This assumes that your pump has sufficient pressure to provide full flow in series operation. Series flow will reduce your piping cross sectional area by 50% compared to parallel flow, so series is more restrictive and requires a good pump with sufficient "head" (pressure) to overcome the reduction in cross sectional area.

The quality and workmanship of your project continue to amaze me. Everything is first class. Keep up the good work!

Yogi
thanks for the kind words

seems like more people like the idea of running them in series over running them in parallel. The Magnuson I/C pump has plenty of power, that thing is a beast I was running the dual H/E's before with no problems at all. I think these e-fans are going to make a nice difference in traffic, but more importantly in the staging lanes Those little buggers flow 400cfm each @ 4 amps, they had the best cfm to amp draw rating when I was shopping for them.

Last edited by moregrip; 08-30-2007 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:23 AM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by 2005SSR6Speed
Looks great all mounted up, very nice packaging!!!
thanks Joe

Originally Posted by 2004Denali
Grippy,
Can you post up a picture of your Evens water pump.
Thanks
Mark
Yes, I'll snap one today while it's not covered up by
anything
Old 08-30-2007, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by moregrip
Yes, I'll snap one today while it's not covered up by
anything
Thanks, Rick asked me if I wanted to go with the Evens cooling system or an Electric water pump.
Mark
Old 08-30-2007, 10:31 AM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by 2004Denali
Thanks, Rick asked me if I wanted to go with the Evens cooling system or an Electric water pump.
Mark
about the same money, However, you get 20% increase flow with the Evans WP and the benefits of running NPG+ coolant. Ask Whitt1 what he was able to do with this setup. In fact, I believe he was the first truck guy to run the Evans setup and actually worked with Evans to bring it to the market. The Meziere looks waaaaaay better, flows the same as the stock WP, has very little parasitic losses and you can still run NPG+ coolant.

Quick Reply: Project "Blown HD" my 6/8 drop/shortblock/heads/cam/blower/tranny install